NAPA, fram, ac delco ro purolotor fitlers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
was looking at NAPA, ac delco, fram and purolator filters. which one deps everyone think fitlers the best, and which ones to stay wawy from? ive been using fram triad technology fitlers for 6 months now, and still looks rather clean with the regular filter, it owuld have had at least something on it by now! theirs a NAPA near me,t hink their fitlers are better than fram? ive been told ac delco and purolator air fitlers are very good though. what do you think?

The AC-delco has shown to filter superbly, beating all the others in Grease's test. All paper filters will filter better then cotton, but there does seem to be a difference.

-T

Well I have always used the Purolator air filters in my cars. But recently I had been reading a lot of good things about the NAPA Gold air filters. So I went out and bought a pair of the NAPA gold air filters to compare to the Purolator air filter in my two cars. Both air filters are a flat panel design. The height (or depth) of the pleats as well as the width were the same for both the Purolator and NAPA Gold. But the pleat count difference shocked me. In the filter for the '01 Buick Century 3.1L, the Purolator had 63 pleats, while the NAPA Gold had 80 pleats, that is 27% more media surface area. In the filter for the '00 Grand Am 3.4L, the Purolator had 74 pleats, while the NAPA Gold had 95 pleats, that is 28% more media surface area. The price difference between the Purolator and NAPA Gold is minimal.

I am now sold on the NAPA Gold air filters. Hopefully the NAPA Gold media itself filters as well or better than the Purolator units.

wow! thas quite a difference in pleats!! i was compoaring the pleats ect to a chrysler air fitler, for a 1995 plymouth neone(my car). the NAPA gold, had much more pleats, and were deeper, an longer than te factory one. i was gunna get a purolator and a AC delco to compare. i heard ac delco fitlered the best. but being ther papaer, maybe they all filter the same ? hugh?

quote:

Originally posted by ziggy:
wow! thas quite a difference in pleats!! i was compoaring the pleats ect to a chrysler air fitler, for a 1995 plymouth neone(my car). the NAPA gold, had much more pleats, and were deeper, an longer than te factory one. i was gunna get a purolator and a AC delco to compare. i heard ac delco fitlered the best. but being ther papaer, maybe they all filter the same ? hugh?

JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS!

Among non-oiled paper air filters (so we're comparing apples to apples) they're all pretty similar in flow and filtration. I'd even use Fram paper air filters, if I wasn't already well-supplied with AC Delco and Purolator filters. I highly doubt the extra pleats will yield a significant real-world difference, but as always it makes us feel better, right?

Oh, and Winners don't do drugs!

ziggy;

it is not fitler, it is filter.. everytime you wrote fitler..Maybe you are talking about fitlers, I dont know, I need a coffee.

Ahh... since when did gramar become a prerequisite for hanging out here.

And I guess Ziggy has every right to repeat a question. For as long as he likes, if he feels his question has not been answered.

There are several guys here poking fun at Ziggy for absolutely no good reason. Its turned an interesting topic and thread into something uncomfortable to hang around and read. Thanks guys.

Yeah, notice that it's the "junior member" coming in on a month-old post acting like he's in charge and the moderators should follow his command. Everybody knows Ziggy can't spell to save his life
wink.gif
, but otherwise he seems intelligent enough.

The fact is that we really don't know the answer. Someone needs to get some hard data from filter makers or run some Spicer-type tests, and those are hard to come by.

I prefer OEM or one of the top brands. I don't think I'd believe that Fram makes the cheapest, worst oil filters and cheap, excellent air filters. They might, but I'll take convincing.

Ken

In answer to ziggys original question Wix or Napa Gold usually have more pleats ie more area that a Fram,Purolator etc. They do flow better than any of the above as there are test on this site to show this. I have also tested my milage with both new filters and the Napa Gold flowed better as milage went up 2mpg. I even change back to the Purolator to see the milage drop 2mpg.
The Napa Gold/WIX vs Purolator/others are close to equal in filters ability to filter out dust. They both get better with age as far as filtering is conserned. Seems about 40,000 miles they lose most of their ability to flow and milage drops.

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
Yeah, notice that it's the "junior member" coming in on a month-old post acting like he's in charge and the moderators should follow his command. Everybody knows Ziggy can't spell to save his life
wink.gif
, but otherwise he seems intelligent enough.

Notice when I registed and when you did. A troll is a troll regardless of spelling, intelligence or grammer. When you ask the same question 3 times in the 3 sep. posts it's wasting bandwidth. That's what the mods job is to do: curtail wasted time, storage, and bandwidth.
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
I have also tested my milage with both new filters and the Napa Gold flowed better as milage went up 2mpg. I even change back to the Purolator to see the milage drop 2mpg.

No matter what filter you use your mileage won't drop because of the filter media or number of pleats differences.
Even the cheapest filter provides as much flow as your stock engine can possibly digest.
The mileage drop in your cases must be due to some other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back