Costco Car Buying Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used this program?

If so, what are your overall thoughts on the program versus using Truecar or simply going in and arm wrestling with the dealer?

Originally Posted by dkryan

If so, what are your overall thoughts on the program versus using Truecar or simply going in and arm wrestling with the dealer?

Do none of these things.
Decide what you want and email every dealer within a fifty mile radius.
Some dealers will play this game and some won't .
Those that will can get you to a rock bottom price without your having paid some third party to get it nor having to spend most of a day going back and forth with dealer personnel. You also have a string of emails to you telling you what they'll do as well as the actual name of the person you're dealing with at the dealer and not some third party printed certificate.
I've bought a few new cars in this way and it seems to work well and the transactions were quick and easy.
I see that the Altima is still alive and kickin'. How's the CVT doing?

I have not used it, but my work is on their list of dealers. Everyone I have talked to that has used it has said it was a very smooth process and they felt they got a great deal. It is like buying anything else at Costco where there are only a few options to choose from for cars on their program.

Good advice above. Some dealers may beat the out the door Costco price. However, if what you are purchasing is very desirable, such as a Prius during a gas shortage or a convertible during summer, it's often impossible to beat Costco's pre programmed deal.

Keep in mind that the Costco deal often avoids the dealer fees and add-on's.

I went through Costco's program for quotes and emailed the same dealers they deal with or would have sent me to to purchase my mazda. Without even haggling, their emailed quotes to me as a regular customer with no mention of Costco was cheaper than my Costco quote.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I have not used it, but my work is on their list of dealers. Everyone I have talked to that has used it has said it was a very smooth process and they felt they got a great deal. It is like buying anything else at Costco where there are only a few options to choose from for cars on their program.

I seem to recall reading that they have to pay Costco a few hundred for the referral so I think in theory it's possible to get it even cheaper as you cut out Costco's fee.

Costco came in second to Carmax,last year with sales of over 450,000 cars,GM runs specials just for Costco members about twice a year! Costco is a power full retailer,do not over look them!

Dealers wanna be on the Costco plan. It offers a no-haggle price and the dealer cannot make the client unhappy, purchase or not.
I believe you can beat the price.

Bought a 2017 Tundra on the program last year. $40,300 list price, Costco negotiated discount $4290. In addition to rebates and trade-in.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by dkryan

Do none of these things.
Decide what you want and email every dealer within a fifty mile radius.
Some dealers will play this game and some won't .
Those that will can get you to a rock bottom price without your having paid some third party to get it nor having to spend most of a day going back and forth with dealer personnel. You also have a string of emails to you telling you what they'll do as well as the actual name of the person you're dealing with at the dealer and not some third party printed certificate.
I've bought a few new cars in this way and it seems to work well and the transactions were quick and easy.
I see that the Altima is still alive and kickin'. How's the CVT doing?

Thanks for the advice.

fdcg 27 - The 2014 Altima is racking up the miles, mostly highway, and currently at 80k miles. It runs well, the gas mileage is very decent (27-29 mpg city) and the CVT is behaving itself, fortunately.

I changed the CVT fluid, (drain and fill) at 30k miles. At 60k miles, the powertrain warranty was no longer in effect, so the dealer performed a full fluid exchange. I did not realize you could use an exchange machine on a CVT, but they had one. The drain and fill replaced just under four quarts; the exchange changed out eight quarts, I believe.

By the way, the Costco question was for a 2019 Outback Limited for my wife.

I tried to use it to buy a Mazda Miata. It sent me to a dealer about 50 miles away despite two dealers within 10 miles of me. Then this far off dealer tried to tack on an additional $750 to get the car "you want". Turned me off on this whole Costco car buying experience (reported this to Costco and they seemed concerned). But many ppl use it, so it must work for them. I think I can do better solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back