Question on lawn edger spark plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a old lawn edger that will not start. I pulled the sparkplug and the tip is black with soot. I want to replace it but it says “Lawnmower 4053”. This must be the original oem spark plug. How do I cross reference it to get a better sparkplug.?

I didn’t see the model number on the edger but it is a Briggs and Stratton 2 hp engine.

any decent lawnmower shop should be able to cross reference it, the "4053" is the clue.

Ken
I guess I need to break down and go to a lawnmower shop. I was hopeing to cross reference it and pick the plug up at a Home Depot that's on my way home from work. We have a good lawnmower shop but it's about fifteen miles from my house. O well, time to get off my duff and get it done.

yeah, I know what you mean. I go to HD once a week (whether i need to or not...), but for stuff like this, i head to a local ACE store that does a lot of lawn equip repair. One look at it and the kid there will go straight to it.

Champion - RN2C

That plug is an Autolite.

I can not find this plug at WalMart or the Home Depot. I guess it is not a common plug.

Autolite discontinued this plug. The Champion cross ref. is "N2C" ACDelco=41XL Bosch=W3CC as far as my book goes at least.

I would not say that checking at Walmart or Home Depot would make this plug uncommon. Go to a lawnmower shop or to an Autozone.

http://ngkaz.home.att.net/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

download the 2Mb ngk cross reference matrix, it is an excel file.
It has all spark plug cross references.

4053 comes up under autolite, 14mm thread, gasket type seal (as opposed to tapered), 0.75" reach, .8125 (13/16)" hex size. technically, all you need is a plug with 14mm threads and no longer than .75" reach, and close enough heat range- possibly one higher if it's 2-cycle and you run it rich or the plug is tyically sooted up.

some cross refs I can see are:
ngk stock 2411 (B8ES) $1.71
ngk stock 2984, (R5686-8) $22.34
shocked.gif

ngk stock 3923, (BPR8ES) $1.80

bosch 7530, 7529* (W4CC, W3CC*) *hotter
Champ 805 (N2C)
Champ 801 (N3C) *hotter
Champ 693 (C55)
Champ 686 (C57) *hotter
Champ 904 (RN4YC)

I'm fairly certain I've seen Champion lawn & garden plugs in walmart and the like stores with #801 or 805,

but any self-respecting bitoger would mail order the R5686-8 and some synthetic Redline/Amsoil/Motul 2-cycle oil
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back