Air Cooled Engine Oil Spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, what does your dealer stock/sell?

Didn't know that B/S was making oil these days.
Last time I spoke to B/S engineer, several years back, they had changed to 10W-30 recommendation, with approval for synthetic oil.

I highly recommend Amsoil ATM (10w30), or Mobil 1 10W30 for push-type and self-propelled lawn mowers.

For riding mower engines, I prefer Schaeffer's 10W40 #700.

Search on this thread for B&S since someone posted a chart from B&S that definately shows them specing 10W30 synthetics.

[ March 25, 2004, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

"Search on this thread for B&S since someone posted a chart from B&S that definately shows them specing 10W30 synthetics."

Yes, please do. You might also try searching this forum using the words: "Exmark" and/or "Lazer" as these machines have been discussed before as well, believe it or not.

--- Bror Jace

Thanks for the information. The engine is a 21 HP Kawasaki. The dealer sells B/S oil. I was just curios about the "Air Cooled engine" spec. Is it marketing hype or is it really a specialty oil?
Thanks again,
ebc

Greeings,
When I picked up my new Exmark Lazer last week, my dealer told me to use either Kawasaki or B/S air cooled engine oil (SAE30). Is there a different spec for air cooled engines? I have had great results with 10-30 or 30HD in the past.
Thanks,
EBC

quote:

Is there a different spec for air cooled engines?

No, neither Briggs or Kawasaki references a specific service grade for air cooled 4 cycle engines. If your dealer is using this terminology, it is not an actual spec, but probably a reference to SAE 30 HD.

SAE 30, SAE 10, etc, is a viscosity designation of the oil based on the standards of the Society of Automotive Engineers developed many years ago.

30HD is straight 30 weight detergent oil, and is a common designation used by the petroleum companies, but not an API service grade. HD can be an abbreviation for either "heavy duty" or "high detergent". Non detergent 30 weight oil is labeled SAE 30 SA, with SA being an API designation for non detergent oil.

The current API service grades as recommended by Briggs for use in B&S aircooled 4 cycle engines are SJ (1997-2001) & the current SL which supercedes SJ. This is an automotive crankcase oil spec which is also used in 4 cycle small engines applications.

Here are the various engine oils that B&S is currently selling:

Briggs & Stratton Brand Oils

Hopefully this sorts out the terminology for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back