Virgin Motorex Power Syn 4T Motorcycle Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A special thanks to Mark Mathys
 -

I'm not a fan of this oil. I ran Mobil MX4T 10-40 for 40+ hours in a KX250F before switching to this oil. In 14 hours of run time, the screen in front of the oil pump clogged, the top end starved, and the intake cam became flat spotted. Just my .02..

your problems have NOTHING to do with the oil used.
you did NOT follow the manuals specs on cleaning the 2 screens at the recommended intervaults and therefore suffered because of your own inabilities to follow directions. don't blame the oil you use, blame yourself.

Another "impressive" MC specific oil...I don't see how they sell the stuff at such a steep price.

On them dirt bikes, best to dump oil every ride to every other. I did this with my 2 strokes and the oil was full of aluminum just from the transmission, having to lube the engine als0 because of 4 stroke , I'd definitely dump every 1 or 2 hours. I think the recommend is like 5 hours, but I would want it to last longer than the manufacturer expects.

40 hours offroad , equates to about 2400 street miles minimum, yet we know 2400 dirts miles that oil was trashed well before.

mackelroy,
just WHERE are you getting the jibberish you posted?
you are not even remotely close to what the manuals say.

quote:

Originally posted by sunruh:
your problems have NOTHING to do with the oil used.
you did NOT follow the manuals specs on cleaning the 2 screens at the recommended intervaults and therefore suffered because of your own inabilities to follow directions. don't blame the oil you use, blame yourself.

Hold your ponies there sunruh. First off, you have no idea what kind of maintenance went into this bike. You making a blanket statement like this without knowing the facts is pretty absurd, not to mention rude. FYI, this bike has had more than the recommended maintenance done, including case splits and screen cleans. I don't risk anything when it comes to relying on a piece of equipment to clear an 80 foot gap on a race track. Oil has been changed every three hours, including a filter swap until the Scotts SS filter was installed at 20 hours, and it was solvent cleaned and dried each change. The screen was inspected/cleaned with each valve adjustment at 10 hour intervals, BY THE DEALER. I can read, I have the service manual, and have followed the directions. That being said, why don't you put your time to good use finding a solution to the 04 valvetrain problems instead of bashing someone or thing you haven't got a clue about?

i know WAY more about this motor than you can possibly comprehend.

needs an .006 oil groove in the intake journal.
oem buckets break, they are junk.
two piece valves, worthless.
valve springs are WAY to weak, junk.
if you have black cam cap bolts, you don't have a prayer unless you re-cut the seats to match valve guides. probably needs that anyway.

do you need more info?

the 04 motor isn't worth scrap prices at a recycle center. the 05 is a hair better.

so you really split the cases 5 times?
few people have their motor apart more than together.

quote:

mackelroy,
just WHERE are you getting the jibberish you posted?
you are not even remotely close to what the manuals say.

From Jibberville where else, I didn't quote any manual, just general view points.

The main focus being, 40 hour oil change is too long on a 4 stroke high performance dirt bike.

Feel free to enlighten me on what the manual has to say?

quote:

i know WAY more about this motor than you can possibly comprehend.

needs an .006 oil groove in the intake journal.
oem buckets break, they are junk.
two piece valves, worthless.
valve springs are WAY to weak, junk.
if you have black cam cap bolts, you don't have a prayer unless you re-cut the seats to match valve guides. probably needs that anyway.

do you need more info?

the 04 motor isn't worth scrap prices at a recycle center. the 05 is a hair better.

so you really split the cases 5 times?
few people have their motor apart more than together.

I have no doubt you know the motor. I do have doubts that you know what I have gone through with this motor. And I stand by my original statement. I am not a fan of this oil. BTW, the Kibblewhite kit, and grooving the intake journal fixes the majority of the 04 issues. But nothing will fix the top end if the screens clog. The permanent fix? A switch to YZ's.

beanoil said:
The permanent fix? A switch to YZ's.

LOL...right on, brother!

I agree 100% that the YZF's are far more robust out of the box than the honda, kaw/suz, KTM thumpers are. Easier to work on as well.

However, even the Yamaha drive train will see up to 10 times longer life with an aftermarket job on the valves, and springs. I highly recommend the Kibblewhite products.

The oil screens on these bike, ALL of these bikes, will see clogs of metal particulate in higher amounts than the normal auto mechanic can stomach when first viewed. After only a 2-3 hour ride, you will see loads of metal in a thmper dirt bike screen. Normal.

I can see that if a dirty oil were used, with unidentified solid particulates, that the screen would clog up mucho fasto.
Ala slick50 use.

sands said:
I don't see how they sell the stuff at such a steep price.

The motorcycle community has been buffaloed. Especially the younger dirt bike set. They are the types of riders that have to have the latest greatest snake oil item that their parents money can buy!

All they need to hear is that an item gives them killer power and BAMO...they HAVE to have it.

Same with oil...if a mfg eludes that the product that they are providing, for 2-3 times the price of comparable products, is what they absolutely need to have, they will opt for the high-dollar product. They will have no idea if it actually is better or not, they will buy it, use it, and swear by all that is holey they are using the best product on the good earth.
And tend to laugh at those who DON'T fall prey to the marketing hype...when in fact it's THEM that is to be laughed at.

But alas...the marketing world works with different rules than the real world does.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaybird:
beanoil said:
The permanent fix? A switch to YZ's.

LOL...right on, brother!

I agree 100% that the YZF's are far more robust out of the box than the honda, kaw/suz, KTM thumpers are. Easier to work on as well.

Wooooah thems fighting words. The KTM RFS engines are nothing if not robust. As for the rest of the bike and the parts that like to randomly fall off.....
grin.gif

LOL...I also am a kTm owner and love the bike.
Far more quality right out of the box than any ricer dirt machine, bar none.

I am convinced (have been for ages) that OEM recommendations are completely money deals, and the quality of the fluids they recommend has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back