Motorcraft 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
A month ago I detected what I percieved as a formulation change in the Motorcraft oil so I bought the newest bottle I could find and now see it now uses Moly at a very ample amount especially on the second interval along with a big ole chunk of zinc and double the magnesium it had in the past . The vi at 100c is far above the rest of the low cost counter oils as I remember .

This is some good stuff here built with high quality additives
tongue.gif

Iron 1

Moly 42
Magnesium 18
Calcium 2077
Phos 921
Zinc 1285
Vi 11.11
TBN 6.50

[ March 22, 2004, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

The MC oils are the some of the best oils for your money right now IMO. Has their been any bad reports yet? Nope.
wink.gif
Good quality addtives makes a difference.
smile.gif

No, most dino's are around 7 TBN and this was done with the method that shows lower anyway . The other method would be 8.5 or so .

Some of these analysis shows this TBN after 3- 5k running time .

This case of 12 quarts was 14.97 at Walmart .... there a fixin to be out of stock in a few minutes
tongue.gif

[ March 22, 2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Hmmm... looks like an oil to rival Chevron and Pennzoil. So which would you pick:

Chevron 10W-30
Pennzoil 10W-30
Motorcraft 10W-30

Also, how do you all feel these would stack up against a good blend (Syntec blend, for example)??

Give an explanation for your logic.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Also, how do you all feel these would stack up against a good blend (Syntec blend, for example)??

Give an explanation for your logic.

Looks to me like blends can go further, say, 7K before drains whereas the farthest we've seen dino's go is 5K...usually 4K is the limit on many vehicles. I guess the difference is how often we want to crawl underneath the car. Which, for some of us is labor or others a labor of love.

OK... your thoughts mirror mine. That is why I am thinking of leaving the "good" dinos and going to Syntec Blend on our Grand Am. My Mustang will be getting GC.

Motorbike, I posted a thread several weeks ago that in effect stated that MC oil seems to have been tweeked. I noticed a change in the labeling in the 5w30. It now states in fine print that it is made from "hydrocracked/synthetic" components. same wording as the 5w20 only not as prominent. I found it most thought provoking.

the previous wording only mentioned hydrocracked. So I am guessing that the 5w30 has been upgraded to a syn blend.

r.

It's a new formula alright ... look at all that zinc and under the 1000ppm cap phos .

Be tough to find an SL GF-3 dino oil with that level of zinc other than the Mystik 5w-30 10w-30 gas motor oil .

Moly kinda stands out too .

I think what you're seeing here is the reformulation necessary to meet the upcoming GF-4 specs. Oxidation restrictions are tighter in GF-4 and I suspect Conoco is putting this modest dose of moly in there as an anti-oxidant, with some FM benefit.

Since 95% of the drivers don't know s---t about their oil, why in **** Motorcraft do more than necessary ? and at low price too ?

Did this new formulation say Gf4 on the back?

I was looking at the 10w30 and 10w40 and I saw them at gf3

and the gf4 was only 5w20

quote:

Originally posted by Shadohh:
Did this new formulation say Gf4 on the back?

I was looking at the 10w30 and 10w40 and I saw them at gf3

and the gf4 was only 5w20

No, I'm sure it was GF-3. I would expect we won't see the 10W-30 in GF-4 until Spring 2005 on any shelves at least. The focus is on 5-20 and 5-30 first.

Motorbike how does this compare to their 10W30 CI-4 diesel oil???? I ask because I am useing it in a gaser and loveing it so far. I do not have a VOA of it though.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Motorbike how does this compare to their 10W30 CI-4 diesel oil???? I ask because I am useing it in a gaser and loveing it so far. I do not have a VOA of it though.

I'm not certain on a comparison but the above GF-3 oil would have held it's own to 5k miles I would think .

I have sent off and posted many VOA's but the new GF-4 oil are of no interest to me because of lowering zinc/phos .

I am waiting for the Mystik 5w-30 GF-4 VOA to be returned to me but thats it. I already have the new GF-4 Phillips Trop Artic VOA and these were the only two oils I was interested in seeing for GF-4 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back