Schaeffers Moly E.P. Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange that the VOA only shows 23 ppm moly and the tech data from Schaeffer's web site says that a proven friction modifier, Micron Moly is blended into the Moly EP Oil Treatment. They note that Micron Moly is liquid soluble form of moly that plates to the metal surfaces of the engine to form a long lasting lubricant film that prevents metal to metal contact.

I can only figure that the additive package maximizes the moly plating so that not much moly is needed. And then what happens if you use this stuff in an already moly rich oil like Maxlife (around 290 ppm) or Redline (upwards of 400 ppm?)?

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
I can only figure that the additive package maximizes the moly plating so that not much moly is needed. And then what happens if you use this stuff in an already moly rich oil like Maxlife (around 290 ppm) or Redline (upwards of 400 ppm?)?

Okay, further searching of threads reveals that the 132 must have a second type of moly that does not show up in the analysis.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
suffice to say this ester is a special fatty acid ester.

So does it have any engine cleaning properties?

It does have some dipersants as part of the base oils.

Schaeffer's uses soluble MoDTC alone as far as I can determine.

Motobikes no longer on here as far as I know.

See my response earlier as his numbers were close to mine. I had the 132 analyzed when I was putting together the Molabrew (LC and 132) about three years back.

Schaeffer's chemist said he didn't know why the moly wasn't higher, since the advertisement inference is that it's a majority moly EP additive.

I have noticed a large concentration of a metallic substance located at the bottom of my bottles as I pour them out. Is the mixture not completely homogenous and more a suspension or heterogenous mixture, is it possible for the particles to 'sink' to the bottom as they fall out of suspension?

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Reagrding the name for#132:

Look at this way, if they called it Antimony EP do you think anyone would know what the heck the product was about?

Last_Z;

quote:

EDIT: One more thing.....to those who might want to use it, do not be scared by the high viscosity. I added 350ml to 1 qt of M1 15W-50 and ~4.5qts of M1 10W-30 and the UOA still show in the 30W range. Once you mix this stuff in oil, it dilutes very well.

If you stay at or below 50 mL of #132/Quart of Oil, then your vis won't go out of grade.

As Last_Z said, it has an amazing set of base fluids; it comes out at 2500 cSt and is miscible with any oil without unduly raising viscosity, if not overtreated.

Mola, the 220 viscosity at 100c, was that SUS or cSt?

Hammer

Ethan,

I think its dye that settling, since both the moly and Sb are both soluble and similar to what I use in SX-UP.

Quote:

Chromium 1
Nickel 1
Lead 3
Tin 1
Silver 0.3
Vanadium 3

Moly 23
Phosphorus 104
Zinc 6
Antimony 23

Vi @ 40c 2545.6
Vi @ 100c 238.5
VI Index 232
TAN 0.17
TBN 0.34

Are these numbers PPM and comparable to the numbers from the SX-UP VOA?

Im interested in the best additive for flat tappet cam break in and running, it looks like Hughes Engines a flat tappet cam retailer is selling the 132.

schaeffers has a secret ingredient called penetro. it is a barrier additive that is not on any analysis that I'm aware of.

you cannot use this stuff directly on the timken machine as it gets under the bearing and causes it to spin also. the moly only plates and the rest just floats by it until the moly that is used gets wore off then it is replaced by new moly. so it really doesn't need that much moly.

the test on this stuff is take a little bit on your finger tips and then place a straight slot screw driver in your fingers. you'll find it is impossible to hold the driver between you finger tips.

bob

esters, chlorinated paraffin, PTFE...?
Dude Schaeffer isn't going to use any of that stuff like slick50 or cutting oil tech like duralube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back