Shell Rotella 5w/40 Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shared transmissions will chew up your oil over time no matter what it is. I have had great success with the RTS and regular Delo. Have found a wonderful local value on Mobil Devac 1 and am currently using it ($12.00 per four litre jug!). For the money, RTS is one of the best vaules in oil going.

John.

Either of the oils you suggested will work for you. I have had good luck with Rotella 5W40 and 15W40 in the past. The regular Amsoil bike oil has not gone up in price and is still the same great oil it has always been. The new stuff is pricey but is said to be a very robust oil. I will be running it in my Honda Interceptor next season.

The Rotella oils are hard to beat and you can run them with out any ill effects to your bike.

The Rotella 5W-40 is perfect for motorcycle engines and transmissions, also consider Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40, slightly more money at $19.99 for a 5 quart jug at Wally World. I use, and have used both in a Yamaha RS Warrior a Honda CRF450 with excellent results. **** the Mobil 1 is also in my lawn mower, Nissan Maxima and Yamaha generator, one stop shopping!

Thanks for all the responses, it's good to hear from fellow oiler's...

The Amsoil and M1 has worked just fine for me, but I am asking myself why I should pay double +, for the oil, if there is no significant benefits to doing so...

I am using the Amsoil oil filter also, but have been giving some thoughts to something else, but not quite certain what to use other than the OEM one made by Toyo Roki...any thoughts on filters?

Thanks again,

RevRider

My bike is a 2001 Honda Valkyrie, 6 cyl. I have been using Amsoil 10/40 and M1 10/40. Both have gotten a little pricey, and I am beginning to question just how much are they worth. I only ride about 2500 miles per year, so extended drain intervals do not come into play at all.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that both the Shell Rotella 5w/40 Syn and the Chevron Delo 5/40 syn are considered "universal oils" perfectly acceptable for not only diesel but gas engines, including motorcycles.

The cost structure is so much better on these versus the Amsoil & Mobil, does anyone have feedback on whether they really are acceptable. I believe the issue is the shear stability due to the transmission using the same oil supply.

Any feed back would be helpful.

Thanks,

RevRider

My only concern with the Rotella 5/40 is the lack of Jaso Ma, Allison C4, Caterpillar & Clark Transmissions ratings. Not that it matters much, as car oils do not have any of these ratings and many bikers use car oils in their bikes. Rotella 15/40 does have the Allison rating.

I know many bikers who use the Rotella 5W-40 without a problem, and there's even a motorcycle forum over at rotella.com so I'm pretty confident you aren't going to have any problems with it. At your low mileage per year it'd be a great 1-year-OCI oil.

Much research has been done on different MC sites. Rotella 5/40 is exceptional. I change to M1 15/50 in the summer. I live in the Arizona desert is why I use the high viscosity in summer. Honda V65 Magna. Just be sure the oil of choice doesn't have the 'energy saving' badge on it. Indicates friction modifiers which will kill a wet clutch.

Oh yeah, me again. My 1984 V65 Magna Honda is getting close to 99000 miles. Uses no oil. No transmission problems. No seal leaks. Replaced the clutch, only because I wanted the Barnett/DD Kevlar unit. Rotella synthetic may have helped it get there.

Many new bikes use catalyst internal in the mufflers, couldn't tell if you looked at them. This has allowed them to make more power because they can now use cam timing and overlap that they weren't able to before (and meet emissions). Word is, don't use hdeo's in these motors, take it FWIW.

Hi WileyE,

Thanks for the post...

I've decided at this point to continue to stick with motorcycle specific products.

I am getting ready to change out the existing oil, which is Amsoil motorcycle oil 10/40.

I will be testing this oil, I've ordered the kit from Blackstone. The oil will have about 2500 miles on it, using the Amsoil filter also, I put this in in Jan 05.

I am going to put in Mobil1 MXT4, 10/40, with the stock Honda oil filter...I want to compare results.

On the change after that, I am going to try a non-syn motorcycle oil, maybe like a Pennzoil's or ??

I want to then compare the results of syn vs syn; syn vs. non syn, and to see which one performs the best in my Valkyrie.

Any thoughts of which motorcycle specific, non synthetic would be the best to try?

Thanks,

RevRider

I couldn't believe it myself, but there it was on the Fredericton Walmart shelf on clearance! Older version of Delvac 1, perhaps the iteration before the current blend (CI-4+, I am assuming is current?). Anyway, I picked up thre jugs of it and I'm gonna check again this weekend to see if I can get some more. Best deal that I have ever seen. Don't know when I'm gonna get the chance to use my stash of RTS...

I have an FJR with catalyst exhaust. Been using regular Rotella T, RTS and now Delvac 1 in it with nary a problem. And I am not alone in the slightest, if FJR fora are any indication. Seems that just about everybody is using RTS these days - if they choose a synthetic oil. That and Delvac 1. By the way, I have heard that proviso elsewhere. I wonder if it's applicable to bikes?

John.

I just put in rotella syn 5w-40 in my GSXR1000 with only 2800 miles. $14 a gallon at walmart. the great price makes up for the expensive filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back