What oil filter for new harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 04 harley FXDI 88ci with 3,000 miles on it. I'm going to use oem or wix oil filters, is anyone running any other brand?

quote:

Originally posted by Superglide:
I've got a 04 harley FXDI 88ci with 3,000 miles on it. I'm going to use oem or wix oil filters, is anyone running any other brand?

Amsoil's oil filter is quoted at 100% more capacity for holding dirt, and 20% finer filtration.

The chrome ones retail around $13 or so.

The "Harley Brand" are great filters..........
That's what I used for 5 years........

BTW........ I save the $$$ and just used the black ones!

JP

Some info that may help or confuse. The HD Filter is a good filter, but the K&N 171C has increased filter area.

From American Iron Magazine – September 2004
Mike Goshert’s oil filter tests and measurements

The psi readings in the Bypass Valve column are the pressure at which the bypass valve opened to let unfiltered oil pass by the filter and go back into the engine.

Filter Part # Bypass Valve Filter Area

K&N KN-171C 14 psi 164” square (73”x2.25”)
Fram PH6022 12 psi 101” square (45”x2.25”)
Amsoil SMF134C 12psi 106” square (47”x2.25”)
A/C Delco PF53 10psi 96” square (55”x1.75”)
H-D 63731-99 10psi 63” square (36”x1.75”)

The bypass/relief valve in an oil filter is needed to keep the filter from collapsing when the flow through the engine exceeds the flow through the filter. It would be nice if this only happened when the filter was not changed often enough, but would appear that it is a very common occurrence in all motor vehicles, and it may be worse when you have a fine micron media and high viscosity oil.

The fine synthetic media used in the 10-micron Twin Cam oil filter can only let so much oil through it in a given amount of time. When the engine is at operating temperature, the 20W50 oil we use in our Harleys acts like a 50-weight oil, which is very heavy especially when compared to 10W30 automotive oil. So we end up with a relatively heavy oil trying to permeate an extremely fine media filter material.

When there is a backup of oil, which causes excess oil pressure at the filter, the bypass/relief valve will open to allow unfiltered oil unrestricted access back into the engine. This occurs until the oil pressure drops to an acceptable level, which closes the filter’s bypass/relief valve, allowing more oil to pass through the filter.

Here’s another factor: Let’s say the amount of pressure required to open the bypass/relief valve is 12 psi. This amount of pressure is more likely to be exceeded, which would open the valve, when running the engine in cold weather or when the engine is first started. This is because the oil doesn’t flow as well under these conditions as compared to when it’s hot.

Tests indicate that the H-D filter had only 27 percent of the capacity of the K&N filter he tested. Logic would seem to dictate that more oil could pass through the greater surface area of the K&N filter.

The H-D filter has an internal bypass so element restriction does not reduce flow and create a pressure drop. It would probably scare us to death if we knew how little oil was filtered. Think about it, 20-50 is relatively high viscosity oil and 10 micron is a relatively fine filter element. A high percentage of the oil bypasses the filter element; there is no other logical conclusion. The pressure across the filter element is established by a fairly light bypass spring inside the filter-not by the oil pump. Odds are that a metal particle could make a number of passes through the system before it was finally caught by the filter element.

I thought the K&N 171C did not have a bypass (Harley does)? I have a few around but have not looked at them for a while.

I have just been using OEM chrome filters on my Harleys, although I have had some Amsoil ones in, just didn't use them on my bikes.

I have a few problems with Kelvins statements.

First, harley's 10 micron filter, as he stated, has a synth media instead of paper. This allows the oil to flow much better than the equivlant paper media 30 micron filter. There are also different tyoe of synth media and they all flow and filter at different rates. The media that Champion uses in the Harley filter flows and filters very well, probably better than most.

Second, he doesn't consider how the oil will thin as it gets up to operating temperature. This also makes a big difference in how well the oil will flow through the media. My bike's oil runs around 180F with synth and 190-200 with dino. A 20w-50 becomes pretty thin at these temps and will flow very nicely.

Third, the required surface area of the media changes with the type of media used. Some media will do the same amount of filtering and flowing with less surface area.

Hey Medic

My post is an extraction from an American Iron Magazine – September 2004

I use the HD Filter, but am going to give the K&N-171C a try for the alledged K&N marketing of more flow and its larger filter area 164” square (73”x2.25”) vs HD's 63” square (36”x1.75”.

After looking at all the available aftermarket filters for the HD Twin Cam - one doesn't have to look any further than the HD filter for quality or price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back