First Goldwing Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 GL1800 Honda Goldwing:Mileage 31,600:Drain Interval 6,289 Miles:Oil Used Mobil 1:15W40 Delvac 1300 Super:

TBN:5.4

Aluminum 5/7
Chromium 1/1
Iron 32/20
Copper 11/8
Lead 0/1
Tin 1/1
Molybdenum 40/48
Nickel 0/0
Manganese 1/0
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 2/1
Boron 26/72
Silicon 9/7
Sodium 2/3
Calcium 2377/2398
Magnesium 438/146
Phosphrous 1126/949
Zinc 1319/1111
Barium 0/0

All other properties were well with accepted values. No Antifreeze or Water Present

Please add your comments. I'm new to Oil Analysis and review.

Should I continue to use this type of oil on a wet clutch bike or change to synthetic suitable for motorcycles.

My concern would be the moly numbers on a Goldwing.

IMO, I try to pick a oil that doesn't contain moly.

In my '78 Goldwing that I recently sold, I ran 15-40 Rotella with out problems.

Are you getting any clutch slip??

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Would you mind going ahead and posting the SUS Viscosity and the %fuel ?

What was the total months on the interval ?

The initial report I received from Blackstone contained errors. They compared my numbers to those for a Honda 1800 V-Twin.
I contacted them and they resent a new report.
Terry reported that they had no base line data on this engine and could not make a comparison at this time. Those first set of numbers are the only ones available.

I added about 5 oz of fuel injector cleaner to the gasoline soon after the initial oil change in September. I had no idea about oil analysis and never intended to have my oil tested. My education about lubricants only began in November. The Chevron Techron probably skewed the report.

The SUS Vis was 67.4, flashpoint 345,fuel 1.0 and insolubles 0.3. TBN was 5.4

Any particular reason you are using a diesel engine oil? FYI Delvac 1300 isn't synthetic (Delvac 1 is). I would check the owners manual to see if they have special requirement since there is a wet clutch in the system. Usually friction material does not get along that well with engine oils since they are so slippery, but I don't know in this case. I would just make sure you use an oil than meets Honda's spec. I have a friend with a Gold Wing and he uses Mobil 1 15W50 with good results.

Good luck

quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:
Any particular reason you are using a diesel engine oil? FYI Delvac 1300 isn't synthetic (Delvac 1 is). I would check the owners manual to see if they have special requirement since there is a wet clutch in the system. Usually friction material does not get along that well with engine oils since they are so slippery, but I don't know in this case. I would just make sure you use an oil than meets Honda's spec. I have a friend with a Gold Wing and he uses Mobil 1 15W50 with good results.

Good luck

I'm well aware that M1 Delvac 1300 isn't Syn. It is one of the best Heavy Weight Oils on the market that doesn't contain loads of friction modifiers. Lots of molley in the formulation causes problems for many wet clutch motorcycles.
M1 Delvac exceeds all the current requirements for gasoline and diesel engines that don't require a Star Burst Label for mpg requirements. It has recently been reformulated to reduce the amount of sulphur content which may reduce the life of catalytic converters in gasoline engines. Diesel oils are engineered with lots of cleaning agents and heavy additives to extended oil drains. Also at 6.95 for 4 Qrts at Walmart its one heck of a bargain.

I may change at some point in the future and try one of those new oils designed for trucks and SUV's. I think there in the 0-40 Vis range.

Thanks for the reply.

quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:
I was confused by the term M1 Delvac 1300. I thought M1 is what people were calling Mobil 1 and Delvac 1300 is different.

Correct. They are diferent critters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back