AMSOIL Dominator means re-jet or Mix Brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '75 Harley sx 175 from the aermacchi- subsidiary era and recently purchased some AMSOIL Dominator oil. I didn't realize at the time that the Interceptor is preferred oil for my bike. I actually discovered the little chart AMSOIL has on their web page that gives the application and the correct oil just last night after weeks of looking for something like that and emails to AMSOIL. Why its not on the oil bottle - I don't know.

Anyway, I still use the injector pump and I had a little Bel Ray 2S in the oil tank left over. Like I said the oil tank was running low and so I topped it off with the Dominator. It seemed good for awhile since it was 2 oils mixed together (I suspect). I'm almost sure this is correct since when I first bought it - I drained whatever oil was in there - and put just AMSOIL and had problems also before draining it again.

It was great with the 2 oils mixed especially in the high rpm range - but now all the Bel ray must of used up and leaving only the Demonator oil in the tank.

Now my bike can't idle and it has trouble starting. I've been messing around with the throttle stop screw and the idle screw a lot which explains why this is occuring. It seemed to run OK when mixed with the Bel ray however. But I'm out of the Bel Ray and all I have left is Mobil 1 Mx-2T.

My question: Can I mix the 2 brands - or should I mix Bel Ray 2s or just bite the bullet on the Dominator and not use it at all? Thanks,
Nick

[ August 16, 2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: WetBehindEars ]

On a cool little bike like that I would bite it and get the right oil for it. You can use the Amsoil in the weedeater or something latter on.

You might be fowling out the plug. That little Italian motor might not have enough compression to digest any racing oil. Try another oil and a new plug gapped proper.

I think I'm just going to drain the AMSOIL Dominator and grab a funnel and pour in 2 parts Mobil MX-2t to 1 part AMSOIL and be done with it.
I hate waste - and it seems like I'm paying 30 bucks a pop for this stuff every trip I make to get some bike oil. Shoot, people use car motor oil in their bike - and I even read of a guy on a boating message board of all things, using it in 2 stroke dirt bike for years - how bad can my idea be?

I was reading in another thread how you said that Mobil 1 was great except for the pinging and I did notice that myself when running Mobil 1. I thought because it was pre mix and I've been using injector that no oil was going in my engine.

Anyway, with the Dominator/mx-2t mix - it should eliminate the pinging since when you're revving high - Dominator is great. I've never seen the rpm climb so high. But I can't even warm up at idle. Makes sense - it is race oil.

You also said that the Demonator is the same as their old 2000 oil. Well I found this with google:
http://www.bestsynthetic.com/tcr.shtml

...it lists compatiblilty section and it says: it is compatible with other oils. I don't see that on their new web page however - more money for them if you don't mix brands. Now if only tech guys at AMSOIL really knew what they are tallking about. I think they do...there was some traces of Belray in there before like I said and the Dominator seemed to take well to that. Thanks

Nick

[ August 16, 2004, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: WetBehindEars ]

Oh yeah and I'm always fouling plugs. Although my ngk isn't as bad as Champion Power sport. That was the case even with the 2s. Mobil 1 says it won't foul 'em - we'll see.

Another good thing about mixing Dominator and Mobil 1 is that I'll be able to read the dip stick since Mobil 1 is clear.

thanks
Nick

If you are fouling plugs it is very likely your low speed jetting is too rich. No oil will make your bike idle improperly by itself. Especialy with a injector sytem since you are getting very little oil at idle in the first place.
What carb does the bike have on it and what plug are you using?

I am using the dominator at 32:1,I was using the klotz r-50 before at 40:1. Even though I am running a little bit more oil in my premix .8 ounces more to a gallon to be exact,I had to move my pilot 3 leaner. The needle and the main were right on. I know you are using a injection system,but try your jetting like blano suggested. I did bump all my jetting up just to be on the safe side when switching to the dominator. I was ridicously rich,but still did not foul a plug.

It is true the more you add oil to your premix,the jetting will go a little leaner,but the difference is minute if you ask me. Going to 40: to 32:1. I am running more oil than before,but I am using the dominator now,and the pilot was too rich. If I used a different oil with the same ratio the pilot may be lean. Every oil acts different with jetting. Check your crank seal,a bad crank seal on the tranny side will definetly foul a plug down low,it will act like it is rich.

How fresh is your gas?

1 more thing if you move the clip to the 1st notch on the needle that is the very top. You are leaning it out not making it richer.

[ August 17, 2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: KX 455 ]

If you can get a couple of leaner slow jets and try them. I would also run a BPR7ES or BPR8ES.
BTW fixing a fouling or idle problem by fooling with your oil ratio or oil brand isnt the way to go. Get the thing running properly first, then try differant oils.

You're right blano, the oil isn't the only thing making it hard start/ die at idle. I have a leaky carb.

It must have happened when I took the hi speed jet out and shlopped it back together - now the float is leaking.

I was too tired to fix it tonight/too dark out after work, but I did drain the Amsoil and added my MX-2t/amsoil mix. I put in 2 pints mx-2t and 1/2 pint amsoil. The thing sounds leaner for about 2 seconds and then dies. Incidentally, sounds leaner means it is higher revving - like when you run it with no air box.

What I don't get is why it just conked out after riding all weekend long even BEFORE I started messing with the carb. It was running rich (I guess) all weekend long with Amsoil in it, then after parking it and letting it idle, it just died. I got so disgusted with the way it was running, I just tore into the carb in a frenzy and then I had my start hard/dead at idle problems. Anyway, I gotta fix that float.

You can just see that amsoil oil in thick as syrup when I was mixing the 2 together.

[ August 17, 2004, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: WetBehindEars ]

Richer? I had a suspicion that was true, but then I read this: http://www.belray.com/consumer/Q&A pages/q&a2s.html

...and thought I was getting leaner.

I could move the metering pin clip up to the top slot in order to make it rich. I'm almost certain that oil is doing this. Both times I tried running Dominator it gave me a tough time when warming it up. It keeps stalling.

The carb is a dellorta VHB 27A - its actually on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487100285&category=35558

Here's a tech diagram of it:
http://www.dansmc.com/carbs/European_Carbs/Delorto_concentric22mm.htm

Oh and it always fouled plugs even with the plain old 2 stroke oil like yamalube 2s. I suspect its an old leaky seal. I would replace it - I am a pro at getting the right cover off but its behind a gear that I'm not sure if you can take it off from the right side.

I run ngk b8es, b9es, champion power sport 8901-2, autolite 4265, and on occasion a b7es ngk. The ngk 8 seems like doesn't foul all too much - same for the autolite - the champion is oil bath.

thanks
nick

[ August 17, 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: WetBehindEars ]

You know what else? When I went to drain the oil from the tank and hoses, I noticed what I thought was an air bubble in the hose going from the air pump to the carb, but when I went to remove the banjo screw - it looked as though the oil wasn't in a stream flowing freely through the tube. What oil was there was in clots. So I didn't even bother to drain it. In other words: I don't think there's alot of oil getting past that pump and flowing freely through the hose to the carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back