Does anyone have Redline or Silkolene UOA's for a motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of motorcycles? If the oil was used in say a 1973 Harley, a 2003 Harley or a 2001 1100 Japanese Race bike the results could be in totally different ball parks for the same oil.

I think you are out of luck with regard to Silkolene ... but feel free to try the search feature.
wink.gif

I used it (keyword: "Motorcycle") and found the following Red Line results:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000089#000000

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000193

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000966#000000

--- Bror Jace

I'll post this to give you an idea of the difference between the better MC specific oil and the plain car oils .

Maxima Maxum 4 Extra

10w-40 Ester/Pao
vi at 100c 13
CCS -35c 5988
TBN 12
Phos 2700 ppm
zinc 2100 ppm
I forget the sulphur amount ?
tri metallic detergent dispersant

Anyone that has friends in the Industry that can order from Parts Unlimited can get really good deals on the various MC oils they stock .

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
I'll post this to give you an idea of the difference between the better MC specific oil and the plain car oils .

Maxima Maxum 4 Extra

10w-40 Ester/Pao
vi at 100c 13
CCS -35c 5988
TBN 12
Phos 2700 ppm
zinc 2100 ppm
I forget the sulphur amount ?
tri metallic detergent dispersant

Anyone that has friends in the Industry that can order from Parts Unlimited can get really good deals on the various MC oils they stock .

Is this correct? 2700 and 2100 for phosphorous and zinc? Whoa! Does anyone have anymore info on these Maxima oils? I would love to see these compared to Amsoil.

That is amazing. Is that info accurate? I don't mean to be rude or challenge your post, I will look into it.

I'm still struggling to learn here...

I've been reading and reading on the ZDDP stuff. I know what it is and I know how it works.

If I understand correctly, though, extra ZDDP doesn't necessarily make the oil better. Only so much zinc and phosphorous can adhere to the otherwise unprotected surfaces. The ZDDP gets used up over a long period of time. 900 to 1000 ppm of each is normally more than enough to last the life of the base oil.

We normally change the oil out at 3k to 5k depending, and UOA's of various types of oils typically show pleny of ZDDP still left in the oils after these runs.

So how is double those amounts supposed to make the oil better?

Am I getting something wrong here?

Dan

I changed the oil in my 1992 XT400E a couple of days ago,using Silkolene Pro4 10/40,the bike has done 59,000km and this is the first oil change since getting the bike - 3,000km on the oil.It looks dirty,which is what I expected because I'm not sure of previous service intervals.The Pro4 10/40 out of my 95,000km 1986 XLV750 still looks pink at 3,000km,so it's done a good cleaning job in the XT.UOA is not the done thing here,I've tried to find who does it,but it seems the nearest is 800km away,I'll look into it and if possible get a result.The XLV750 is due for a change too,a comparison would be intersting for me.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:
That is amazing. Is that info accurate? I don't mean to be rude or challenge your post, I will look into it.

I posted that in march of this year . They do have new packaging and I was told the formula got tweeked a bit .

I'd post a link but there is pricing on their website . Search and call them if you want . Google maxima + overkill

The current King of all Motorcycle oils IMO will be glad to talk to you
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:

I posted that in march of this year . They do have new packaging and I was told the formula got tweeked a bit .

I'd post a link but there is pricing on their website . Search and call them if you want . Google maxima + overkill

The current King of all Motorcycle oils IMO will be glad to talk to you
smile.gif

I did a search the day I posted that. Their website does say, "Overkill", but I was trying to overcome their marketing ploys and see if I could get decent information on their oils. It doesn't look too bad, and the price isn't terrible, either. I will buy the semi-synth for my next oil change and if I like it, I will try their full synth at the oil change after that. I'm in no hurry.

Oh, and who's the "King of all Motorcycle Oils"? Maxima?

You answered it sorta when you wrote this

If I understand correctly, though, extra ZDDP doesn't necessarily make the oil better. Only so much zinc and phosphorous can adhere to the otherwise unprotected surfaces. The ZDDP gets used up over a long period of time. 900 to 1000 ppm of each is normally more than enough to last the life of the base oil.

But the better the base oil along with if the engine has great ring seal with more zinc if used as a primary anti-oxident the longer the oil can run for the most part and for example if the engine has high stress cams you want the extra anti-wear as well as it will tend to run on the boundry additives most of the time depleting the zinc depending how it's driven and more like actual design , spring pressures and cam lobe profile along with how the valves are actuated.

The Phos plays a big role in the gearbox protection . Some of the reason you see " do not use EC oils " spread all over the net cause these oils are capped on the phos amount if it's a API oil although most seem think it's recommended to not use such a oil because it causes the clutch to slip
grin.gif

There's more to it to include other anti-oxidants used in conjunction with zinc but that was an answer in part .

[ August 31, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back