Best Dyno 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a more cost effective motorcycle oil than full synthetics. I'm not interested in running automotive oil but also don't want to spring for the cost of fully synthetic motorcycle oil. Opinion?

My search for the right motorcycle oil is what led me to this forum a few months ago. I had found some studies on the internet that showed that dino and syhthetic blend oils dramatically loose viscosity in only a few hundred miles in motorcycle engines that share the oil with the transmission.

If you want the engine to last you must use synthetic. Mobil 1 MX4T is $8 per quart, Amsoil a little less. Hey, you only have to change it once a year...

I concur: our motorcycle engines need so little oil, the difference in price vs. mineral based is relatively minor compared with the advantages for our engines. In particular, motorcycle engines, especially air cooled, depend heavily on oil for cooling. As previously discussed, with synthetic oil we create less heat and then dissapate that heat at a greater rate than with mineral based oils. Plus the full synthetic will provide a much broader temperature range of flow and protection. It is a win/win for synthetics vs. mineral based oils. Unless your motorcycle is worn out and using a quart a day, the slight increased price of synthetics is well worth it. Just the experience of twisting that throttle! (yes, there is a perceptible difference with syn vs. dino!) One of our local shops with a dino takes great pleasure offering a free oil change if the switch from mineral based to syn does not produce a measurable increase in horsepower. He has yet to provide a free oil change in the 3 years he has been doing the program...
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back