1976 Honda CB400F: Rotella, Delo, or Delvac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about switching over to a "heavy-duty" oil on the classic Honda.

Any reason to pick one over the other?

Remember...this bike revs! Sits at dang near 6,000 all day long on the highway!

Justin.

I'm using Delvac 1 in my VFR but I have to buy it by the case which is a 5-yr supply for me. It's also expensive. I would give the Rotella T-Synthetic a try. It's available at any WalMart in qts and gallons. It has very good quality group III basestocks, no friction modifiers, and Shell is highly regarded for their shear-stable polymer VI improvers. We haven't seen an oil analysis on it, though.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
I'm using Delvac 1 in my VFR but I have to buy it by the case which is a 5-yr supply for me. It's also expensive. I would give the Rotella T-Synthetic a try. It's available at any WalMart in qts and gallons. It has very good quality group III basestocks, no friction modifiers, and Shell is highly regarded for their shear-stable polymer VI improvers. We haven't seen an oil analysis on it, though.

First off, thanks for the reply Jay.

Second...tried synthetics before, and it leaked all over the place. Not good!

It has Valvoline Motorcycle 10w-40 (which is "dino oil") sitting in the crankcase right now.

It has ran good with this oil in there, but I'd like to try something new.

Rotella T, Delo 400, or Delvac 1300 Super in the diesel-standard 15w-40 is going to be my choice.

Just have to decide which one to run!

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:

It has Valvoline Motorcycle 10w-40 (which is "dino oil") sitting in the crankcase right now.

First off is that your only reason for bashing synthetic lubricants?

My guess for the leaks that your engine was sludged or varnished so bad that you already had the leaks and the synthetic cleaned it up. Would you rather have a clean engine or a leak. Suggest to get the gaskets replace and use synthetic from then on.

Back to your question. I just put Delo 400 in my 2002 Triumph ST. I'll be running this as an extended breakin oil before I switch to a Synthetic. I'll probably put about 1500 miles on this oil. So far I have 300 miles on it and it runs good. Luckily the weather is somewhat cool now. I'll definately go with a syntehtic before June Rolls around. As this bike runs warm, especially when you run it up around REDLINE!!

Good luck on your choice.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:

First off is that your only reason for bashing synthetic lubricants?

My guess for the leaks that your engine was sludged or varnished so bad that you already had the leaks and the synthetic cleaned it up. Would you rather have a clean engine or a leak. Suggest to get the gaskets replace and use synthetic from then on.

Back to your question. I just put Delo 400 in my 2002 Triumph ST. I'll be running this as an extended breakin oil before I switch to a Synthetic. I'll probably put about 1500 miles on this oil. So far I have 300 miles on it and it runs good. Luckily the weather is somewhat cool now. I'll definately go with a syntehtic before June Rolls around. As this bike runs warm, especially when you run it up around REDLINE!!

Good luck on your choice.

Msparks,

I'm not bashing synthetics. Synthetics are good stuff, and if your running extended drain intervals, I can completely understand why you would want to use 'em . Put some in the bike once, and really didn't notice much change besides the leaks.

As long as you change your oil often (3000 miles for cars, depends on how and when you use your bike to determine a good drain interval), "dino" oils will do the job well and give great protection and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back