ANYONE ANYLIZE YAMAHA R SYNTHETIC OIL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by R1Rider:
Has it been posted here?
Any oil from Yamaha?

Nope. No analysis here of their 10/50 motor oil that is not made by Citgo but the data sheet and MSDS is on it's way to me via snail mail from Yamaha USA . I will put it in your PM box when it arrives.

What oil are you using now in your 4 Stroke R1 ?

You sure it isnt made by Citgo. I know there two cycle oil is and according to my freind that works with Phillips their crankcase oils are also.

blano, why is it important whether or not Citgo makes Yamaha synthetic oil? It could still be a uniquely formulated oil no matter who Yamaha contracts to make it. It's that way with alot of OEM products. Example: Toyota contracts Chevron to make genuine Toyota fuel injector cleaner but that doesn't mean it's chemically the same product as Chevron's popular and cheaper Techron fuel injector cleaners.

Malibu, you might be right ... but it would be cheaper to take an existing formula and merely relabel it. After some of the testing done on OEM brand lubes (some Honda results on this site) I have been thoroughly disgusted by their performance; i.e. serious shearing of oils with merely a couple thousand miles on them.
freak2.gif

This is what we/you pay extra for?
confused.gif

I guess I'll believe a formula of oil is "special" when I see some sort of test/lab evidence showing me that it is. Too many companies out there re-packaging mediocre products and charging a premium price.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

Malibu, Just out of curiosity I guess. In my expierance oem oils tend to be cheap. It seesm they are formulated to provide the most profit to the company rather than the most value to the end user.

Bror Jace, are you stating as fact (or guessing) that genuine Honda or Yamaha motor oil is merely an existing over-the-counter formula that's been relabeled? If so, what over-the-counter oils = Honda or Yamaha oils?

Malibu, I saw a test of a current Honda motorcycle oil which was something like $4-5 per quart ... and it wasn't even a full synthetic but possibly a blend.
dunno.gif

The stuff had low miles on it (2,000-3,000) and it had sheared down from a 40 weight to a thin 30 weight ... or a similar drop.

The above I wrote from memory only, but if you search this site, you might find the actual UOA lab results. I remember how FLOORED I was at how poorly this "specialty" oil had held up.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror Jace, then it looks like the speculation we see frequently here that OEM oils are merely relabeled overthecounter oils is NOT substantiated.

scatterfi,
grin.gif

Malibu, the fact is they underperform. The speculation is "why?" The easiest and most logical explanation is that they take a rather ordinary existing oil, then repackage it.
thumbsdown.gif

The only alternative is they go out of their way and make a specialty lubricant which underperforms ... and that makes no sense.
spaz.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Malibu, I saw a test of a current Honda motorcycle oil which was something like $4-5 per quart ... and it wasn't even a full synthetic but possibly a blend.

Here is that report for your viewing pleasure.
grin.gif

This is Honda's "HP" oil, at $6 a qt., not the GN4.
I love the marketing gimmick on the bottle "Endorsed by Honda Racing". HA! Maybe endorsed by putting the stickers on the RC51 but not used in the crankcase!
twak.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000193#000000
-----------------------
posted October 28, 2002 07:30 PM

Some aspects of this oil concern me considering this is 90% highway riding >15 miles per cycle and occasional redline blasts every few times per cycle. No track days on this bike, yet.

-- Flashpoint low
-- Sustained Viscosity low compared to "Values should be"
-- Detergent and anti-wear package low considering no moly in this oil due to recommendations from Honda to avoid possible clutch slippage.

Vehicle - '01 HONDA CBR F4I

Mileage on unit - 11,300

Oil use interval - 3500

Oil type and grade - Honda HP-4 Semi-synthetic, no Moly, 10W-40 4 stroke oil (no make-up oil added) and mostly all highway miles >15 miles per cycle.

Aluminum 10 (10)
Chromium 0 (1)
Iron 8 (12)
Copper 2 (3)
Lead 1 (1)
Tin 1 (1)
Molybdenum 1 (87)
Nickel 0 (1)
Manganese 1 (1)
Silver 0 (0)
Titanium 0 (0)
Potassium 3 (2)
Boron 234 (227)
Silicon 9 (13)
Sodium 3 (4)
Calcium 1461 (2034) - low on this detergent
Magnesium 3 (329) - very low on this detergent as well
Phosphorus 724 (942) - I expected more of ant-wear additives considering no moly in this oil

Zinc 865 (1031)
Barium 0 (0)

Sus Viscosity @210F (should be 65-76)
58.2 VERY low here. This concerns me.

Flashpoint in F (should be >375)
375 - should be higher then this from Honda's high performance oil

Fuel %

AntiFreeze %

Water %

Insolubles %

Status
Not open for further replies.