Anyone have done a virgin analysis on Harley Davidson 20W-50 oil ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked far and wide, but I have never found a virgin oil analysis for HD oil. I am interested in the additive packages they put in and also any other information about who supplies them with their base stocks or even what base stocks they use. Any info on Harley oil would be very appreciated!!

thanks....
worshippy.gif

The SAE 60 is made in the States and packaged in quarts. The SAE 50 and 20W50 are also made in the US this way. In Canada the 60 is imported and the 50 and 20W50 are made and packaged here in litres. Sunoco makes it these days, at least for Canada. They might even make all of it. They also used to have a 10W40 but I don't know if they do anymore(at least they don't send any north). The oil was always available in quart or gallon size but now the SAE 60 is only in quarts in Canada. Some crazy guys still think they need a 70 but what is it gonna do that a 50 or 60 cannot in a street bike? I would imagine these are group 2 oils they are definately not 3,4,5. It is really hard to find a dealer who will sell anything but OEM, I'm not sure if this is in there contract or if it is just their choice I will have to ask my friend who owns a dealership (all he has ever used is OEM or Kendall and he uses Torco 50 in his top fuel Harley). Custom shops usually carry Rev Tech or Kendall or other off brands and rarely (anyplace i have seen) synthetics. I might just use one of my bottles for a VOA of Harley 20W50 from Canada and the other for AMSOIL 20W50 then do my trucks oil another time.

Also some may notice a price difference between Canadian dealers for OEM oil. This should not exist. They are charged the same price per litre/quart for a specific grade whether they buy a 55 gal drum or a cases of quarts. So lets say a quart of 20W50 costs $2 and sells for $4 then a gallon of 20W50 would cost $8 and sell for $16 or less. I have seen a bid difference in the price of oil and filters between dealers nearby and thousands of miles away. One guy has his 20W50 at 4.05 a litre, the other at 4.95 and another in the middle around 4.50. The oil filter that is made in the USA for the new 88CI engine can cost 23-28 dollars and there is a cheaper import version of this same filter in a Harley pack with different # that is 3-45 bucks less. Then all the old EVO-back filters run 22-24 dollar range. I have yet to price out K&N or AMSOIL filters but when I do I will post prices. Compare this to a filter for your GM small block. 3-6 cheap 16 for AMSOIL, 18 for K&N. The closest dealer to me was 4.35 a litre 20W50 and I was complaining because if you bought a gallon it was over $1 more than buying for quarts seperately. The new guy on the till said "It costs more because the gallon bottle is more convienient". The next time I was in I gave my speech about it cost you guys the same so a gallon should be equal or less in price to four seperate quarts.This time it was one of the more seasoned workers and they didn't know anything about what I said and when I left and checked my bill it was 4.95 a quart for 20W50. I have not been back there in a while so when I do I will check again on prices. I don't know if they went up or it was a result of me whining. After that ?I bought some a bout 80 miles away and it was 4.05 a quart. The 50 usually close to the same and the 60 is a few diems more a quart.

I also know of a dealership that has had almost a dozen new bikes with the crank out and they are trying to say it was the oil. I don't buy it. I think it was bad parts or assembly. most were Mobil 1 probably 15W50 but possibly some were 20W50 V Twin. One or 2 were Quaker Stae but I do not know what type or grade of oil. They said it made roller bearings slide. Not any syn, but just Mobil 1 syn was too slick. I didn't want to argue about it with friends so I let it go. This is just more cases of "Concrete Proof" to make people not use synthetic or blends in there bikes. The dealership warrantied all these engines but told owners if it blew again and they were using Mobil 1 still they would class that as the oil wrecked it so no warranty. They didn't think AMSOIL or other syn oils would do this just the Mobil 1.

[ December 29, 2002, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: hk33ka1 ]

Thanks guys for the detailed info !!
hk33ka1....The HD 20W-50 costs right now USD 3.20 here in Iowa. The only weight I am interested in is the 20W-50 Harley Davidson 360 oil. I have an S&S 113" engine with a Super G and the 600 anniversary cam in my 97 Softail Custom and have been running 20W-50 HD oil since I put the engine in brand new. I do run a Lockhart 700 series oil cooler on the bike (the biggest oil cooler that Lockhart makes) that I control with a handmade leather cover that I can partially open or close with Velcro. So I keep my oil temps in the tank around 180 to 220 F depending on ambient temps.
Two years ago at Sturgis it got so hot that I was running 220F with a fully open oil cooler. A friend of mine with a stock 88 Twin Cam Road King was running more than 265F oil temp..no cooler.

Anyway...I am not entirely sold on synthetic for the Harley even though I run it in all our cars. I believe the additive package has more value than synthetic or not. In addition, I change my oil every 1,000 to 1,500 miles anyway.

mikeyoilnutt...it would be great if you would include HD 20W-50 in your next spectro analysis run !! I'd appreciate it. Let me know if I need to mail you a quart of HD oil for that. I'd be glad to do so.

[ December 29, 2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

Alex D, I might be able to find some BMW oil down in San Jose. Have to check with a buddy of mine. As for Spectro Golden American 20w-50 they have a spectro analysis on that oil on their website. I would give it to you, but I think I might be breaking sight rules. If you use a search engine and type in Spectro Oil they are easy to find. mikeyoilnutt
grin.gif

Hey Mike....sounds fabulous !! If you throw the BMW oil in, it would be the 20W-50 dino oil, not the synthetic. BMWs dino oil was an excellent 20W-50 when it still was a SG oil. Their synth oil was already an SH at that time. Now I believe BMW has moved their dino oil also to a newer SH rating....see the old oil test results here:

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/oilreport.html

This is a very comprehensive article, unfortunately a few years old.

Here is where you can find BMW motorcycle oil direct from BMW:

http://www.bmw-online.com/index.htm

Their synth oil also sounds interesting since it is a full PAO/Ester synth with a SH rating and seemingly a nice additive package
quote:

Originally posted by mikeyoilnutt:
Alex D, I might be able to find some BMW oil down in San Jose. Have to check with a buddy of mine. As for Spectro Golden American 20w-50 they have a spectro analysis on that oil on their website. I would give it to you, but I think I might be breaking sight rules. If you use a search engine and type in Spectro Oil they are easy to find. mikeyoilnutt
grin.gif

[ December 29, 2002, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

Alex D. I purchased the Harley 20W-50 this afternoon. I will send it out tomorrow. If I can fin a quart of the BMW sauce I wil send it out also. mikeyoilnutt

can't say nuthin else but you the MAN !!!

Thank you!!
I look forward hearing what you found out.

quote:

Alex D. I purchased the Harley 20W-50 this afternoon. I will send it out tomorrow. If I can fin a quart of the BMW sauce I wil send it out also. mikeyoilnutt

You're the man !! Thank you!! Have you ever tested BMW 20W-50 dino motorcycel oil? it used to be a very good one when it still was SG rated. Also, do you have info on SPECTRO oils like the Golden AMerican....it also used to test very well for additives.....anyway. Thank you for including the Harley oil in your test run!!
cheers.gif

quote:

Alex D, I will get a quart this week from the local Harley dealer and send it off. Give me a couple of weeks to get results. mikeyoilnutt

Alex D, Found the 20w-50 mineral base at a BMW dealer in Mountain View, CA. Will try to pick some up and send it out for test ing next week. mikeyoilnutt
cheers.gif

ALllriiigghhtt.....Thank you sir !! How much was the BMW oil? I pay $3.20/quart for the Harley Oil here......
quote:

Alex D, Found the 20w-50 mineral base at a BMW dealer in Mountain View, CA. Will try to pick some up and send it out for test ing next week. mikeyoilnutt
cheers.gif

Alex D, the BMW 20-50 was $3.52 a quart. No need for reimbursment maybe some day you can return the favor. FYI on the back of the bottle it said,"Formulated, blended and packaged exclusively for BMW of North America by Spectro Oils of America>"

thanks Bud !! Wow !! So spectro makes the BMW oil...interesting...do you have Spectro analysises? I am curious to see how the BMW oil comes out compared to the past analysis on the web site referred to above.....can't wait to see...
quote:

Alex D, the BMW 20-50 was $3.52 a quart. No need for reimbursment maybe some day you can return the favor. FYI on the back of the bottle it said,"Formulated, blended and packaged exclusively for BMW of North America by Spectro Oils of America>"

Alex D, I will be sending the sample out on Monday Jan 6, 2003. It wil be going to Oil Analyzers. I want to check Black Stone Labs out to, cause it seems they have great customer support. I figure it will be 2-3 weeks before I get results from Oil Analyzers. mikeyoilnutt

That's great...time is not a problem..it will be interesting to see what comes out of this.....I'll have to wait another four months anyway before we can go ride again up here in the cold Midwest.......Cheers !!
cheers.gif

quote:

Alex D, I will be sending the sample out on Monday Jan 6, 2003. It wil be going to Oil Analyzers. I want to check Black Stone Labs out to, cause it seems they have great customer support. I figure it will be 2-3 weeks before I get results from Oil Analyzers. mikeyoilnutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back