Gov't wants to lower speed limits for trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gman2304
It's 6 [six] lanes. It's legal.....Google it! Geez!!!!! Going through there this afternoon....I'll take you a picture!

I don't care if it is legal, semis DO NOT belong in the far left lane...

^ It's legal. Deal with it! ^

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar

Recently there have been some pretty bad semi accidents in my area, I don't know that this is the answer. Around here we have had several cases of trucks plowing into stopped or slow traffic so I don't see this helping. It would be interesting to see the national stats on truck accidents to determine if reducing speed would help.

I think guys driving semis and large trucks these days just can't drive well and/or are always in a big hurry or on the road way too long. Since they need a CDL to operate a big rig you'd think they would be more professional drivers. They sit up so high above traffic and can see everything going on ahead of them that there should be NO reason why they are plowing into slower or stopped traffic.

It's 6 [six] lanes. It's legal.....Google it! Geez!!!!! Going through there this afternoon....I'll take you a picture!

Not legal in my state ... ALL semis are required to stay out of the left lane on multi lane interstates, except to pass if that really ever happens.

Originally Posted By: grampi

Except if the far left lane leads to another direction... but I generally agree.

Over here they're only supposed to use the 2 most right lanes, and if there's only 2 lanes they're not allowed to overtake during busy hours on most stretches.

^ It's legal. Deal with it! ^

Semis can't leave one lane open for passenger vehicles? Why do they have to be clogging up EVERY lane?

Not legal in my state ... ALL semis are required to stay out of the left lane on multi lane interstates, except to pass if that really ever happens.
^ I know of no 4 lane interstate highways [a 4 lane Interstate highway is a multi lane highway] that has a restricted lane, though ICBW.

I drove 540 miles yesterday from Greensboro, NC to Fredericksburg, Va and back. I noted truck restricted lanes during the trip. I merged onto I-40 in Greensboro beginning the trip, going East through Greensboro...no lane restrictions and a 60 mph zone. Just East of Greensboro before Burlington, NC 2 left lanes restricted to Hillsborough, NC where restrictions ended and I merged onto I-85 North. No lane restrictions on I-85 North to Petersburg, Va, roughly 120 miles. Merged onto I-95 at Petersburg, Va at mile marker 52 going North on I-95. No lane restrictions around Petersburg and through Richmond until MM 84, a distance of 32 miles. From MM 84 to MM 118 2 left lanes restricted, a distance of 34 miles. The vast majority of the trip were on Interstate highways with NO lane restrictions. I saw NO trucks using restricted lanes during the trip. It does happen and I've seen it many times, but the vast majority of truck drivers are safe and courteous but the ones who aren't always stand out, just like everything else in life. [I didn't go to school to learn how to drive a truck, and my last traffic citation was in 1985].

Most of the major companies seem to be pretty good, but there were times when drivers for lesser known companies would be going close to 10+ over the speed limit which is usually 70 mph in FL.

I'm all for a reasonable speed for trucks (68-70 mph max). I've been driving for over 20 years and I can assure you a loaded truck is almost impossible to control if you blow out a steering tire while going around a turn at interstate speeds. Thank God it hasn't happened to me.

I'm all for a reasonable speed for trucks (68-70 mph max).

^ I wish our trucks would run that fast.^ My fastest speed yesterday was 67 in a 70 zone, going downhill with the load pushing it. The truck would run about 64 on level ground. While ascending some hills it pulled down to 50 mph several times, again in a 70 mph zone. A 20 mph speed differential....how safe is that? I have to occasionally operate my 4 way hazard flashers on some particularly long and steep pulls to alert the vehicles behind me that I'm just crawling along. But that's the way 'safety' directors, the 'guvment', and the motoring public wants it. D----d if we do, and d----d if we don't.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if the left lane truck passing events that require a mile and tends to back up traffic are done on purpose as a form of protest? Maybe the truckers are trying to get people irritated enough for them to pester the legislature to change the over regulation of the trucking industry?

My wife and I both have/had truckers in our families and we recognize and appreciate the terrible job that it is and how much regulation it operates under. I give them the same respect that I do farmers, first responders, the military, etc.. Spend a week with a trucker and you will better appreciate what they do. Its also nice to have reached a point in my life where I am no longer in a rush to get everywhere and things like this are not worth getting anxious about.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Highly trained drivers from south a' da' border can now show off their skills on US highways.

They have been doing that ever since NAFTA went into effect. They can leave Mexico with full tanks of Mexican government subsidized fuel, and never spend a penny in the USA on their way to Canada.

Originally Posted By: BigD1

They have been doing that ever since NAFTA went into effect. They can leave Mexico with full tanks of Mexican government subsidized fuel, and never spend a penny in the USA on their way to Canada.

Umm, no. Nafta went into affect in 1994. Mexican trucking companies were only granted the right to operate in the US non-border zone areas in 2015 (there was a three year pilot program before that with a limited number of operators).

The last Canadian border crossing I went across was not clogged with Mexican trucks. Trucks with Manitoba plates on the other hand...

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I sometimes wonder if the left lane truck passing events that require a mile and tends to back up traffic are done on purpose as a form of protest? Maybe the truckers are trying to get people irritated enough for them to pester the legislature to change the over regulation of the trucking industry?

My wife and I both have/had truckers in our families and we recognize and appreciate the terrible job that it is and how much regulation it operates under. I give them the same respect that I do farmers, first responders, the military, etc.. Spend a week with a trucker and you will better appreciate what they do. Its also nice to have reached a point in my life where I am no longer in a rush to get everywhere and things like this are not worth getting anxious about.

I think they just don't personally care, because the average American/Canadian doesn't care about them to begin with...

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I think they just don't personally care, because the average American/Canadian doesn't care about them to begin with...

You're right, they don't care. That's why we need laws to make them care. If one semi can't overtake another within a reasonable distance, they should just slow down an 1/8 of a mph and stay in the right lane...those who clog up the left lane for miles to pass should be ticketed for impeding traffic flow...

Speed differential is a huge problem - but regardless of cars/trucks having same or alternative speed limit - we need more enforcement. Only a fool (or a new fool) would speed in my town. You will pay.
But get outside the city limits and you would think it was Germany. State has raised the speed limit for all - but did not set a minimum speed. The most stressful speed is going the speed limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back