2016 Traverse, which oil would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil at 2k with QS Blend 5w30 and will run that for about 4K and change again. I know it's short intervals but it's what I've always done on all my newer cars. Not sure what oil to use next. I know these engines chew up oil and end up with fuel dilution. I've seen on the other forums that some people use 0w40 to 5w40 diesel oil. I've always used Amsoil and might stay with it but am open to other brands. Also, as you can tell from my other vehicles below I'm not concerned about running the weight on the cap regardless of warranty. Never had an issue.

So if you've had a Lamba platform vehicle what worked for you?

Use a 5w30 Dexos oil and use the OLM as recommended. If you're paranoid, use Mobil 1 EP to add some cushion.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Go with factory recommendation, then get a UOA. If dilution or shearing (or both) are present do what I do - Castrol Edge 0w-40!

That's what I was thinking. New to these engines.

+1
GM works oil specs pretty hard - a good Dexos synthetic for a good price would be solid.
You don't need diesel truck oil or a 40 for that motor - but is this a dichotomy of sorts: Your proven Amsoil has the right kind of test results for that combustion theatre - but you decide if pedigree will matter on a warranty claim ?

Needless to use a xw40 or to do a UOA... Your money and vehicle, so whatever helps you sleep at night.

Originally Posted By: vronline
Needless to use a xw40 or to do a UOA... Your money and vehicle, so whatever helps you sleep at night.

Definitely not going to make a habit out of a uoa but once I get some miles on it I am curious what our driving conditions are doing to the oil.

Use Dexos1 5W-30 rated oils(assuming that's what your oil cap shows)

Using oils not Dexos1 rated would put you out of compliance if it comes to an oil related warranty issue.

If warranty is not a concern, use what you want.

Unfortunately 3.6s are having crank issues during the warranty period, so don't totally discount the possibility of a warranty claim / the importance of dexos1 records. Of course, you will probably avoid that with your short intervals - the best way to fight fuel dilution is to drain the gassy oil right out of there.

I use QSED. I assume this is the same QS blend you speak of. It is the cheapest Dexos approved oil at Walmart. I change it when the OLM is between 10-20%, occasionally less than that, and I see no reason to look for anything else.

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking about PP or Amsoil XL at this point. Once I hit the 10k mark on the engine I'll go more off the OLM. Sorry should have mentioned that before.

Your Traverse has an OLM. Do what it says
smile.gif

There is still time to stock up on Napa Synthetic 5w30 for the sale price of only $2.99/qt. A quality full synthetic that meets dexos1 standards and will give you many enjoyable miles. It is rebranded Synpower. Pick up a Napa Gold filter while you're there.

The best and most consistent UOAs I've seen for this motor anywhere on the net has been by one of our members running a VWB at 5k oci. My parents have this engine in a gmc...after getting a uoa and finding GM dexos blend way past it's useful life at the end of the olm, I've put them on the vwb regiment and will get them a couple UOAs to verify

I have the 2009 version of this engine in my Enclave currently with 70k. Knock wood, so far I have not have the common timing chain issue so many of the early GM 3.6L DI engines had but I change oil often. As noted, a member here has a 2009 Traverse and has used nothing but VWB and has had nothing but good results changing at 5K mile intervals or less. For me I have run Mobil 1, Amsoil Signature Series, Pennzoil Ultra, and Kendall GT full synthetic all in the 5W30 flavor. Based on Blackstone reports my 2009 3.6L DI chews all these oils up long before the recalibrated OLM gets close to 0. Mobil 1 getting chewed up the worse and Kendall GT full synthetic the least. I am using the longer PF-63 filter instead of original PF-48. Interesting is that my vehicle will not use a drop of oil for almost exactly 2K miles and then after that it will use as much as a quart per 1K miles regardless of what brand is being used.

There have been a lot of changes made to the GM 3.6L DI since 2009 but I would not go beyond 5K miles between oil changes whether I had a 2009 or 2017. Additionally, the GM 3.6L DI going in the 2017 GMC Arcadia and Cadillac XT5 are totally new and only share like two part numbers from the previous GM 3.6L DIs. I do not know if the new 3.6L DI is being used in all of the 2017 GM vehicles or not but we will certainly need to see what gremlins luck in the new version of the GM 3.6L.

I should clarify...the most important thing seems to be the oci. Those engines are just too hard on oil to go past 5k regardless of what's used. I'd bet that the early timing chain issues could have been greatly reduced with shorter ocis. That's why I like the vwb...no need to pay to syn for a 5k interval.

I normally never advocate changes at the dealer, but it would be nice to have a record of maintenance for your upcoming warranty work

My GM dealer gave me a mildly hard time about "maintenance" to cover up for their sub-par vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back