Quaker State engine warranty...thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I thought id create a new post on this. What is the general concensus on the QS engine warranty?

The requirements are fairly flexible, but its the only thing keeping me from going with extended drains...I kind of like what they've done, and it only means a change once ever 6 months.

If it's not worth the time or effort, I'm going to go the extended drain route.

I was also wondering about emissions increasing on extended drains...possibly for another post, but I thought I'd toss it into one. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:
That's kind of my thought, It's a shame, its a good one!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Marketing gimmick. They'll find their way out of it

Probability is you wont get it but keep receipts and video documents as leverage. In a way,I'd think they wanna see an engine run 200,000 plus miles on their oil.Thats real time tested and I would think they would give you the benefit of the doubt,I hope. I ran pennzoil synthetic amost religiously except I had one run of QSUD and the other redline oil,but all in all, pennzoil synthetic oil never stranded me.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The consumers fall for marketing so easy.

Hey!
smile.gif
All in all, its a safe bet on their part. The odds of one owner owning car until 300k is pretty slim, although it does happen.

As soon as it changes hands, if its over the mileage the warranty is up.

I'm pretty meticulous with my record, but It would be nice to stretch out the intervals a bit.

Last edited:
You could probably buy oil from the dollar store and run that for the car's life and it still wouldn't die from an oil related issue.

Honestly use a good oil like Mobil 1 especially now with the $12.00 a jug rebate.
I would not count on that warranty because there can be so many ways out of it..

Doesn't the warranty require you to have your oil changed at a repair shop or dealership, that you can't do it yourself? And any receipts have your vehicle carefully identified, whatever that means?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Honestly use a good oil like Mobil 1 especially now with the $12.00 a jug rebate.
I would not count on that warranty because there can be so many ways out of it..

What's wrong with Quaker State?

I think its great!

I signed up for the Pennzoil one, the QS one, the Valvoline one, etc. Free oil! (warranty rebates)

I never intended to follow their system, I just cashed the rebate checks. Good enough marketing for me.

FYI, they (used to at least) limit the rebate to a 'VIN'.

Its not really a gimmick, it is just a good bet that as long as you change your oil at the recommended interval it doesn't matter what oil you throw in it. If the engine does fail, prove to me that our API, Dexos, etc certified oil ruined your engine. I would take that bet every day.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You could probably buy oil from the dollar store and run that for the car's life and it still wouldn't die from an oil related issue.

Yea ^^^ thats what I meant.

You want an extended oci and a warranty?

M1 comes with a 10,000 mile warranty. M1 EP has a 15,000 mile warranty.

I personally would only sign up for the warranty to get the rebate. In fact, I think in CA, they are obliged to offer the rebate without requiring you sign up for the warranty part.

These warranties are what they are. Obviously, the oil companies do stand behind their product. Are you just looking for warranty, or the QS cash back? If you're just looking for warranty, do note that Castrol and M1 do warranty extended drains.

For most vehicles this is true. There are a few that do require more specific specs (or have problems with cheap oil in general), but those are few and far between.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I think its great!

I signed up for the Pennzoil one, the QS one, the Valvoline one, etc. Free oil! (warranty rebates)

I never intended to follow their system, I just cashed the rebate checks. Good enough marketing for me.

FYI, they (used to at least) limit the rebate to a 'VIN'.

Me too. I am not worried about any warranty for oil.
So long as I change it regularly it won't matter which brand oil I use, and I use whatever name brand I can get cheapest. If I get a free jug to sign up for a warranty, sure, why not. As you said, 15 qts of free syn oil just to sign up for something they could probably get out of if you tried to use it, where do I sign up (oh wait, I alread did).

Thanks guys, I was honestly mainly interested in the warranty. Haven't even looked into the rebates. I agree Castrol and M1 stands by their oil as well.

I've used everything under the sun over the years but actually really like the QS oils. Pennzoil too. They work well in just about everything and I like she'll as a company. My wife used to take her car to a QS quick lube when we were younger so there's always the picture of that sticker in the back of my mind...good memories...I agree a goofy reason to like an oil, but the truck loves it. Lol

You would spend more money in litigation than the cost of a new engine. High priced lawyers and high priced consultants would have a difficult time proving Quaker State oil caused an engine failure.I'll tell you for sure, no attorney would take this case on a contingency agreement.

+1

Yamaha is doing the same with their brand oil and offering 100k miles or 20 year warranty... but IMHO you have to jump thru hoops to document it. Never seen a single documented case of engine failure due to oil. Lack of it or service.... sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back