New router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something is screwy with my Asus RT-N66U as of late... every couple of days, internet speeds become painfully low and ping gets close to 1000 ms, when normally it's about 30 ms. After I reboot it, everything goes back to normal for a couple of days. Not really sure what's causing this. It didn't used to be like this before.

Anyway, it's somewhat outdated tech by today's standards. If I was to look for a replacement for about $120 or so, what would you recommend? I'm thinking Netgear AC1750 (R6400). Anything else in this price range I should be considering? I want it to support third party firmware (Tomato).

Thanks!

Oh, I'm talking over my head here but back when I was having issues with my Comcast wireless they would have me unplug the wireless router for 10 minutes or so to help resolve it. This wasn't for the purpose of rebooting or IP assignment but they claimed it was to help dissapate a static charge that could build up.

Anyways, since switching to my own hardware I haven't had to try that again.

I would try installing the latest firmware from Asus. You could also try the DD-WRT firmware, it will make a world of difference if you don't brick it. I had a router with similar issues, so I just put it on an electrical timer to reboot at 2am every night.

I have this router and it serves me very well.
TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750

Originally Posted By: gojoneeded
I would try installing the latest firmware from Asus. You could also try the DD-WRT firmware, it will make a world of difference if you don't brick it.

I've been running Tomato firmware on it since the day I bought it, 4 years ago.

Quote:
I had a router with similar issues, so I just put it on an electrical timer to reboot at 2am every night.

Thanks for the idea. I can actually set it up in the router's configuration to reboot itself on schedule.

Yes, Tomato and DD-WRT allows for a scheduled reboot.

Rebooting solves a bunch of tech problems!

a few months back I had the same issue with an Asus 56N. In my case, I used some wifi monitoring software to determine that everyone in my neighborhood was using channel 6. I know that the router is supposed to seek out a clear channel, but mine was on channel 6 also. after setting it to an unused channel - I have had no problems since.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
a few months back I had the same issue with an Asus 56N. In my case, I used some wifi monitoring software to determine that everyone in my neighborhood was using channel 6. I know that the router is supposed to seek out a clear channel, but mine was on channel 6 also. after setting it to an unused channel - I have had no problems since.

Yeah, that's not it in my case.

If you get a new router, make sure it is 802.11ac With 34 non overlapping channels and features in the AC standard to avoid interference, you'll have much faster and stable WiFi

Originally Posted By: wwillson
If you get a new router, make sure it is 802.11ac With 34 non overlapping channels and features in the AC standard to avoid interference, you'll have much faster and stable WiFi

Only if you have an AC wifi adapter on the computer.

I would hard reset it and reconfig it..and if it still happens replace it. Routers dont seem to last very long. I like D-link products but I typically check CNET's ratings before buying.

I run Asus Merlin on my RT-AC66. It is modified stock firmware. I bought it refurbished about 3 years ago and still running strong. I have had good luck with refurbished units

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Something is screwy with my Asus RT-N66U as of late... every couple of days, internet speeds become painfully low and ping gets close to 1000 ms, when normally it's about 30 ms. After I reboot it, everything goes back to normal for a couple of days. Not really sure what's causing this. It didn't used to be like this before.

Anyway, it's somewhat outdated tech by today's standards. If I was to look for a replacement for about $120 or so, what would you recommend? I'm thinking Netgear AC1750 (R6400). Anything else in this price range I should be considering? I want it to support third party firmware (Tomato).

Thanks!

I'm using the Nighthawk Netgear AC1750.
I bought it on sale @ Best Buy this year,no issues.

Ive been on the internet for the last 21 years, so have experience with plenty of modems and routers, its also indirectly part of my business working with customers routers. Im totally satisfied with my newest router and modem that I purchased in Nov 2015.

First time with this brand, much research, very happy. TP Link

This is the router, Archer C7 AC 1750. Been rock solid, I have to be honest, its been so rock solid that I honestly and truly can not remember ever have to reboot it because of poor performance or trouble connecting. I should also point out though, that I was so impressed with the Router I did also buy their DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. So both pieces of equipment are new and up to date.
As an FYI, I must have at least 10, most likley (more like 12 got tired of counting) devices connected.

Anyway last Nov 2015 I only paid $69 including a $10 rebate, price now is $90 ish and I still think a terrific router for the price.
Here is the TP Link for the Router

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
This is the router, Archer C7 AC 1750. Been rock solid, I have to be honest, its been so rock solid that I honestly and truly can not remember ever have to reboot it because of poor performance or trouble connecting.

Well, when my Asus was new, it was rock solid as well. I never used to reboot it. I bought it 4 years ago. These issues I'm describing only started in the last month or so.

The issue with Archer C7 is that it's based on Atheros chipset, so it is not supported by Tomato, which is one of my requirements for a new router. I guess the C8 would qualify, since it's Broadcom-based.

Oops, I missed the Tomato comment and Im not at all into routers other then to get them working as best I can, so have no idea about 3rd party stuff and as far as being compatible with Tomato, I have no idea what that is, all I know is I love home grown ones! :eek:)

What's your budget for a replacement? HP has a new AC "business" wireless router that I was using prior to my recent upgrade, and it is quite affordable. I have very high standards for reliability and configurability, which is why I always end up going back to Cisco's stuff, but the range and throughput on the HP, as well as the ease of configurability definitely makes it worth looking at. It doesn't carry a consumer-level pricetag, but it much cheaper than a comparable Cisco/Juniper product.

HP R120 2.4/5Ghz AC wireless router

HP R120 on Amazon

QP:

Are you interested in separating your WiFi from your gateway? I have a spare Juniper SSG 5 w/WiFi that I could give you, but keep in mind, it only has 10/100Mbit interfaces on it, not gigabit. The WiFi on it is only A/B/G, so you'd probably want to just disable that and use a separate AC Access Point, which you could pick up for cheap. I believe Rand recommended a couple in a previous thread that he has had good luck with.

It is super reliable, but has a high RPM fan that is not overly quiet. However, if you are not going to use the WiFi, you could pull the cover (4 philips screws IIRC) and pull the wireless daughter board and fan, as the non-WiFi version lacked the fan. The fan is just to keep the daughterboard cool.

Let me know if you are interested, I'll blow away the config and send it to you.

Thanks for the offer. For now I'll just stick to what I have. I don't mind if it has to reboot itself every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back