Car inspection in your state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at the (insert word here) woman that got thrown out. She didn't deserve the job either. I was told on tint laws; 9outta 10 a cop will look at the tint and be either a **** or nice and advise you on it. So, I passed exam and have to re take it in 5 years. Question my older fellow mechanics ask: I'm exempt obviously but in 5years am I still exempt? Few guys asked Penndot personally and have not got a TRUE, honest answer yet. That says a lot to me

here in Ohio, no inspections. Unless you live up around Cleveland.

certain counties in the Cleveland metro have and OBDII plug in "Emissions inspection", they even have self serve kiosks...

No, there are no annual vehicle inspections or testing of any sort. Iowa tried it in the early 1980's, but realized it was a really bad idea and did away with it a few years later.

Iowa ranks pretty well as far as fiscal health (George Mason University study).

Originally Posted By: Kruse
But my state is in pretty bad financial shape, so if they think they can make money by starting a vehicle inspection, they probably will.

Actually Kansas is about in the middle of the fiscal health rankings. Certainly nothing like the poor fiscal health of the bottom of the rankings such as Illinois, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Jersey. Only Puerto Rico was worse than those five, and was included as a poor performance benchmark.

Yep, I've tried a few times to do the self serve kiosk but there's always an issue with them. So have to pull around and do the normal one. It used to be $20 but now they're free at least. The inspection is good for two years. First few years you don't need one on a new car. They also used to put the car on rollers an accelerate up to a certain speed but not anymore. Check gas cap, place mirrors under car to check the exhaust, cel lights, tail pipe sniffer etc. Then you get a printout of how the car did with the various emissions standards.

Originally Posted By: car51
Eljefino: do they make you take a hands on test or online test?

There's no hands on test. And for the OBDII scan the state trusts the mechanic to fill out a chit of paper with the I/M results and return it "whenever." Not centrally computerized.

Really the license is practically handed out for free, with the sole motivation for quality work being not losing it.

At $12/18 a sticker, garages lose money on every one. To be "fair" an inspection should be around $35 for 1/2 hr work.

Take a look at the (insert word here) woman that got thrown out. She didn't deserve the job either. I was told on tint laws; 9outta 10 a cop will look at the tint and be either a **** or nice and advise you on it. So, I passed exam and have to re take it in 5 years. Question my older fellow mechanics ask: I'm exempt obviously but in 5years am I still exempt? Few guys asked Penndot personally and have not got a TRUE, honest answer yet. That says a lot to me

Yes I researched and window tinting is not inspection enforced, that is left up to the cops. I'm seriously thinking about getting a doctors written prescription because this tint has helped so much with my headaches on late night drives home from those 12 hour days at college (8AMs - 8PMs are the WORST).

Hopefully my inspection cost wont be too much since mine is in december, crossing my fingers. I think you local independent guys have it hard. You gotta compete with other independent shops for prices and people generally hate you if you find something that needs fixing on their cars. It has been so tough to build find a reputable independent shop anymore these days but I have found one and have been going to him for the past 3 years now.

Here in NJ they only do smog tests for regular passenger vehicles every two years,, Commercial and others have to have a full inspection every year.

However the Police will ticket someone who has a cracked windshield or bald tires or lights out or almost any other thing if they want..

They also have DMV spot checks set up here and there
Inspection is a pain in the neck but never gave me any problems just another thing to do..

NH does inspections. I don't know what it costs for the inspector to stay up to date; I think it's $50 or $60 to get a safety & emission inspection. 1996 and newer has to be plugged in to check OBDII status; the computer is somehow linked to the gov. All readiness flags have to be set--cannot just clear the codes five minutes before waltzing in. As long as the ECU thinks all is well (based on its checks to make sure the gas tank is sealed, sensors working, fuel trims all good, no misfires and whatever else the ECU is checking) you pass emissions. Safety is a bit harder in a road salt state but most of the requirements aren't that ornery (min tread depth, brake linings, etc). There are a couple I disagree with but they are not big ones (all door handles and windows working, odometer/spedometer).

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Here in NJ they only do smog tests for regular passenger vehicles every two years,, Commercial and others have to have a full inspection every year.

However the Police will ticket someone who has a cracked windshield or bald tires or lights out or almost any other thing if they want..

They also have DMV spot checks set up here and there
Inspection is a pain in the neck but never gave me any problems just another thing to do..

It's not exactly smog, because you only fail if your check engine light is on.

Where in NJ have you seen the spot checks? I've never seen anything of that sort.

I used to live in PA and hated those dreadfully stupid inspections. I took my car to Sear's in Johnstown and they told me I needed new rotors as they were checking below min thickness. brake on the front it would be nearly $600. I took car and said I would do them myself. They asked why when they could do it. I said price was too high when it would cost me less than $100 in parts and an hr or 2 of time. They came down to $350 almost immediately. I still said too high and took the car. Took rotors to have them checked out. Was told there was plenty of life in them and guess what brake pads were only half worn. When i confronted Sears they denied it all. Crooked shops take advantage when they need business.

Car 51. I live in Pa and I have no idea what you are talking about. You take your car in, get it inspected and pay your $60 or whatever. What 30 question test are you talking about? What county do you live in??

To recertify it is $15 every 3 years in New York. No written exam or anything, just mail in a check to the commissioner of motor vehicles and they mail out your new card to you. Even though I don't work in the automotive field anymore, I still keep recertifying my license as a "just in case".

Al: I am a PA Safety Inspector on cars. For over 40 years they just asked you to mail back the letter and you got your new license free. I know the price of safety inspection and emissions. What has myself and others is that is mechanics, we have to now take a 30 question test to show we know what we are doing. I posted that in the post sir. New York does what PA used to do but ours was free. Another way for PA to steal money is all this is. And for people that have had their inspection license before 1982, they will never ever have to recertify which is total bull sh**

Thanks Penndot and bureau of motorized vehicles for stealing money from me

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
State of Connecticut has a $20 mandatory emissions test for all newer model cars. There might be an exemption for more than 20 yrs old. My emissions center plugs into the OBDII port and reads the codes, etc. He even checks under the car to make sure all the exhaust parts are physically there. I think they did away with most or all of the vehicle inspections. Not sure on that one. When I bought my 1999 in 2012 there was no inspection required.

CT has emissions testing and no safety inspections. Brand new cars don't get tested until they're 5 years old, then they get tested every other year until they're 25 years old. Cars that are 25+ years old are exempt from testing. Cars 1996 model year and newer get the OBD2 test, 1995 and older get the tailpipe sniffer test.

Northern Ohio where I live requires an OBD check - catalytic converter in place check - gas cap pressure check. Only 7 of 88 counties in Ohio require the check every two years to be able to get license plates. The check is free (which means my tax dollars are paying for it). Vehicles 25 years old and newer have to be tested. Every election year the issue of eliminating the e-check comes up and every year the politicians and EPA decide that Northern Ohio has bad air and our cars are at fault.
However, you can ride around in a car with bad brakes, bald tires, rotted body, bent frame, leaking engine, grinding transmission, smashed windows with garbage bags over them and that is ok.

69GTX: does your state have safety inspections?

Yes. But not for most passenger cars. Certain commercial vehicles (heavy comm, buses, taxi's, certain trailers, etc), composite/heavily altered vehicles, and salvage title vehicles need one. If your antique car is heavily modified to no longer resemble the make it once was, that would likely require an inspection. Though who would tell the DMV?

Just looked it up. For passenger car emissions 1996 and newer CT does the OBD and checks for a cat installed. When the guy does my inspection he also pops the hood. Don't know what he'd be looking for there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back