Car inspection in your state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No inspections in CT, but I would be all for proper inspections (as done in Europe). Would keep a lot of [censored] off the roads... The inspections, if any in the US are a joke.

Not only no inspections of any kind in Florida, but you also don't see junk driving around and unsafe cars everywhere. Yes you will still hear a car grinding brakes to a stop or see a beach cruiser without doors, but for the most part cars are safe. That's just propaganda that inspections keep junk off the road and keep you safer. It's a money racket.

Safety inspections were here since before I started driving in Texas, similar in Louisiana. It "seems" less crooked now that it used to be, and is combined into one window sticker (the license plate sticker) now in Texas. The "headlight adjustment fee" used to be the ripoff mechanism when I was a young man here. There's limited emissions testing here in the really traffic congested areas of the state.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

I moved to northeast PA from NY about 5 years ago... In NY a little rust showing on the fenderwells was ok. In PA it's now a fail. Not structural rust, just a little hole or two.

My commuter car is a '97 Tracer wagon. It got its first bit of body rust on the passenger rear 1/4, (a quarter sized hole) and recently failed for the first time. I brought it home and did a quick bondo and rattle can job and it passed. I would like to know why small body rust is a fail in PA but you can have a s**tbox with an intact frame in NY and it's ok lol.

The inspector couldn't give me an answer why SMALL body rust (NOT structural) is a fail, he only told me there are PA Troopers that look for old cars in parking lots with fresh stickers and scrutinize the vehicles and then come back to him asking how / why he passed it.

New Zealand has had safety inspections since the '30's - depression era and NZ being a long way from spare parts, there were some very unsafe cars on the road. It was a basic tyres, brakes, lights and suspension check, done at any garage. Although I would've been able to do them in 1974 after I qualified as a mechanic, I didn't start doing them until 1984, and have done them since until a couple of weeks ago. It went along just fine, although there was some abuse of the system...often the lube guy would do the tests, not a mechanic, as the mechanics didn't want to be dragged off jobs. Once I worked next to Herb's Garage, if Herb was busy, his wife did them.

But then in the late '80's we started to get huge amounts of used Japanese domestic imports, today JDI's outsell new cars every year...our car market is largely a used car market. We had no car industry, but assembled a large range of CKD vehicles. We have a New Zealand Safety Standard, and for cars it was based largely on UK, Euro, Australian and US/Canada standards. But, cars built for the Japanese domestic market don't meet standards for the rest of the world, it's their own little system. So, all of a sudden, and it really was sudden, we had cars on our roads that don't meet our safety standards - something had to be done.

Our little book of a few pages became a large document that is being constantly updated, rules changed almostly monthly. And now we had to become an official inspector, able to pass tests to show we know the book inside and out. We have audits, they come and check the site, check our documentation, check the inspector's knowledge, and hopefully get a pass...it was always a stressfull time. The test are entered on a computer into a national database.

A change of jobs, I now work on off road motorcycles, so in Feb my inspectors certificate will expire.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Not only no inspections of any kind in Florida, but you also don't see junk driving around and unsafe cars everywhere. Yes you will still hear a car grinding brakes to a stop or see a beach cruiser without doors, but for the most part cars are safe. That's just propaganda that inspections keep junk off the road and keep you safer. It's a money racket.

May be true outside of the rustbelt, but up here a number of vehicles get bounced for soft frames and rotted brake lines.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
The inspector couldn't give me an answer why SMALL body rust (NOT structural) is a fail, he only told me there are PA Troopers that look for old cars in parking lots with fresh stickers and scrutinize the vehicles and then come back to him asking how / why he passed it.

The way I understand it they don't want any through rust so carbon monoxide doesn't enter the cab. My first car I had to do a bit of bodywork because of that. Now, I see older cars running around with holes in the body with newer stickers. I'm sure their uncle-brothers friend with a shop just passed it through. I personally like the inspections; it keeps majority of the junk off the road. Yea, some get slipped through the cracks.

Emissions testing hasn't happened here yet in Fulton County, but I'm sure eventually it'll be statewide eventually. The Camry and Jetta (CA emissions car...) will have no problem, not sure how well the S10 or Expedition would fair.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Let me get this straight... the state requires every vehicle to be inspected every year. People drive cars to your location for the sole purpose of an inspection, in which you look for potential problems. If you find a problem, you are also able to sell your services to repair said problem.

You get paid for the inspections. You get paid for any repairs you're able to sell.

For this privlidge, you have to pay the state $60 every 5 years for recertification. That's about $12 a year, little more than the cost of dinner at a fast casual restaurant, you pay to be part of a state required program in which customers drive their cars to you, not because they actually think something is broken, but because the state tells them to, and you get to sell work.

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

In some places, inspections are a money loser, because the state sets the prices too low to make money.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Let me get this straight... the state requires every vehicle to be inspected every year. People drive cars to your location for the sole purpose of an inspection, in which you look for potential problems. If you find a problem, you are also able to sell your services to repair said problem.

You get paid for the inspections. You get paid for any repairs you're able to sell.

For this privlidge, you have to pay the state $60 every 5 years for recertification. That's about $12 a year, little more than the cost of dinner at a fast casual restaurant, you pay to be part of a state required program in which customers drive their cars to you, not because they actually think something is broken, but because the state tells them to, and you get to sell work.

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

You get it! The fewer techs licensed to perform state inspections means you're worth more.

PA state inspection is a pretty good idea, it keeps all the rust buckets off the road.

It doesn't keep the rust buckets off the road, or ones with other problems. It's pretty easy to find a shady inspection place to sell you an inspection sticker. As far as I know the state never does any stings to catch these guys like they do with liquor stores and bars selling to minors. I know at least two guys who will pass anything for the right price, maybe 50 bucks plus the regular inspection cost. It does lead some honest people to dump an unsafe vehicle if repairs are too expensive, but it also opens them up to being taken advantage of by shady garages.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Originally Posted By: car51
Take a look at the (insert word here) woman that got thrown out. She didn't deserve the job either. I was told on tint laws; 9outta 10 a cop will look at the tint and be either a **** or nice and advise you on it. So, I passed exam and have to re take it in 5 years. Question my older fellow mechanics ask: I'm exempt obviously but in 5years am I still exempt? Few guys asked Penndot personally and have not got a TRUE, honest answer yet. That says a lot to me

Yes I researched and window tinting is not inspection enforced, that is left up to the cops. I'm seriously thinking about getting a doctors written prescription because this tint has helped so much with my headaches on late night drives home from those 12 hour days at college (8AMs - 8PMs are the WORST).

Hopefully my inspection cost wont be too much since mine is in december, crossing my fingers. I think you local independent guys have it hard. You gotta compete with other independent shops for prices and people generally hate you if you find something that needs fixing on their cars. It has been so tough to build find a reputable independent shop anymore these days but I have found one and have been going to him for the past 3 years now.

On an SUV, I recall that tint behind the front doors can be as dark as you want.

Originally Posted By: supton
NH does inspections. I don't know what it costs for the inspector to stay up to date; I think it's $50 or $60 to get a safety & emission inspection. 1996 and newer has to be plugged in to check OBDII status; the computer is somehow linked to the gov. All readiness flags have to be set--cannot just clear the codes five minutes before waltzing in. As long as the ECU thinks all is well (based on its checks to make sure the gas tank is sealed, sensors working, fuel trims all good, no misfires and whatever else the ECU is checking) you pass emissions. Safety is a bit harder in a road salt state but most of the requirements aren't that ornery (min tread depth, brake linings, etc). There are a couple I disagree with but they are not big ones (all door handles and windows working, odometer/spedometer).

I think it's only the FRONT windows and doors, actually. (I had no problem passing with inoperative rear inside door handles.)

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
69GTX: does your state have safety inspections?

Yes. But not for most passenger cars. Certain commercial vehicles (heavy comm, buses, taxi's, certain trailers, etc), composite/heavily altered vehicles, and salvage title vehicles need one. If your antique car is heavily modified to no longer resemble the make it once was, that would likely require an inspection. Though who would tell the DMV?

Just looked it up. For passenger car emissions 1996 and newer CT does the OBD and checks for a cat installed. When the guy does my inspection he also pops the hood. Don't know what he'd be looking for there.

The EVAP system and/or a functioning AIR pump, at a guess.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
69GTX: does your state have safety inspections?

Yes. But not for most passenger cars. Certain commercial vehicles (heavy comm, buses, taxi's, certain trailers, etc), composite/heavily altered vehicles, and salvage title vehicles need one. If your antique car is heavily modified to no longer resemble the make it once was, that would likely require an inspection. Though who would tell the DMV?

Just looked it up. For passenger car emissions 1996 and newer CT does the OBD and checks for a cat installed. When the guy does my inspection he also pops the hood. Don't know what he'd be looking for there.

The EVAP system and/or a functioning AIR pump, at a guess.

That's possible. On one of my cars most some of the EVAP system is underneath the trunk. On my old 1997 Lincoln rust disintegrated some EVAP fasteners and half of the darn fell off my car on the Merritt Parkway. Never got it back. And that car still passed emissions at 230K miles with no problems until I junked it.

So I spoke with my uncle a Penndot, bureau of motor vehicles man. He said you can definitely expect to see your emissions and safety inspection price go up for emissions and non emissions counties. So, I will go from paying $70 total to like $84~.

Maybe I'll move to OHIO

Al: I am a PA Safety Inspector on cars. For over 40 years they just asked you to mail back the letter and you got your new license free.

OK sorry..I got it. I did not realize you were an inspector

Al: sorry if I came off pi**ed off. I took exam and got a 90% so it's done and waiting on new card in mail. Just makes you wonder why after 40+ years without having to "re certify" all of a sudden the powers that be in Harrisburg would do this. Plus if you're like my 2 co workers that have had their licenses since 1979 and 1981 respectively; they are exempt for 3 years then they have to re certify

So I spoke with my uncle a Penndot, bureau of motor vehicles man. He said you can definitely expect to see your emissions and safety inspection price go up for emissions and non emissions counties. So, I will go from paying $70 total to like $84~.

Maybe I'll move to OHIO

I'm in Pike County. My local shop has a coupon for $7 off inspections. All in with new sticker I'm out the door for less than $19. Does adding the emissions test (which we're exempt from in this county) make it so much more expensive to get to $70?

It's currently $68~ where I am at in Beaver County which has the "enhanced Stage II Emissions Inspection" so yes it will go up for me. I'm bout fed up with the #3 corrupt state in the U.S.A.

I think inspections should be $500 each time, done annually. Around here there's no inspections or emissions done after a car is registered.

Keep some of that trash off the road and people not worthy of driving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back