How long do you let your oil drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the application - 10 to 30 minutes for the normal engines, but on a sludge monster like my Avalon, I change pans after ten minutes and then let it drip for over an hour. 4 to 8 ounces of less than pristine oil every time. Even with good analyses, the bad bitter bottoms really look skanky. Best to get them out rather than recycle.

I usually let mine drain for close to an hour, but a lot of the reason for that is so that all the hot parts have cooled off a lot more by the time I change the oil filter.

When it stops dripping continuously, in goes the new oil.

It's not the lunar lander that I'm servicing.
laugh.gif

Front tires on ramps let it drain until about 1 drop a second then was able to vacuum out 15 more oz thru the drain hole with an adapter I made for my brake bleeder. Honda calls for 4.4 qt fill with filter it took a 5 qt bottle and was half way to full mark.

I usually let it drain about an hour give or take. I pull the drain plug do my under hood and under car checks, air up the tires, and do something else like cut the grass, clean the garage, wash the windows, etc.

I just remove the oil drain plug, let it drain overnight into a pan, remove the oil filter and then I drive the car normally for a week or so. By this time, the sump is good and empty. Then, I put a new filter on, replace the drain plug, and fill it with new oil.

...Not really, but with my Chevy Volt, I could.

AS many other, till it drips. I then close the Fumoto valve, move the drain pan under the filter and take that off. Put a new filter on, then move back to the drain and open the Fumoto again and let it drain till it drips again.

Depends, how much of a rush I'm in... probably no more than a few minutes after it begins to drip. It's not like the oil being dumped is "bad"... so the minuscule amount that remains is immaterial.

I have used the one drop every twenty seconds, but many individuals don't have time for that or simply don't want to wait that long. I think the difference between a drop a second and a drop every 20 seconds in probably two or three ounces. Maybe not that. Replace the filter while the oil is draining and then refill with oil. Don't forget to use a new washer on the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: faltic
Front tires on ramps let it drain until about 1 drop a second then was able to vacuum out 15 more oz thru the drain hole with an adapter I made for my brake bleeder. Honda calls for 4.4 qt fill with filter it took a 5 qt bottle and was half way to full mark.

That's interesting. I was wondering whether to attach my Mityvac to my Fumoto and may give it a shot after all.

Maybe 10-15 minutes tops. When it starts doing little drops, the I pull the filter if putting a new one one. Fill the new filter with oil, wipe the oil filter mount, and install the new filter. Then wipe off the oil pan drain and put the plug back in. Fill it up then check for any leaks.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back