How long do you let your oil drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nooil
Usually let it drain over night so all oil is out by morning, that way I get a good dry start LOL

Don't laugh. I've heard of some old Mopars that would lose prime if you left the sump empty too long.

Probably 30 minutes. I am usually cleaning the interiors at the same time, so it takes about 30 mintues. Usually a drop every 15-20 seconds or so. One of my cars has the filter directly above the exhaust pipe so I need to let that cool a bit.

Yeah, it really doesn't take that long to get to the almost nothing is coming out point, especially if you drain after having driven the car 20-25 miles in any weather.
My routine is to remove the plug, give it a while to get down to the rare drip, put the plug back in, and then change the filter.
Dump in the new oil, which you will have at the ready, and you're done.
About a half an hour at most, start to finish.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I usually let it drain until it is dripping at a fairly steady pace.

Don't think I have ever let it go until nothing was coming out.

+1

Originally Posted By: webfors
10-30 minutes, depending on what else I got going on in the garage.

+1. Every once in a great while I'll let it go for more than 30 minutes if I have something else to do and I'm not in a hurry.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Once I hit the bottom of the pan andhear gurgling from the extractor tube.

Me too, I stopped when I hear gurgling from the extractor tube. It took about 8-10 minutes to extract 8-8.5 qt, during that time I changed the oil filter and the 4 rubber gaskets on the oil filter holder.

I tilt the car with the jack towards the direction of the drain hole. In my car the hole is behind and on the side of the oil pan. So I jack up my car, as much as possible, from the front jack point. That gets a little more of the old oil out, without having to wait. In fact I have to add about .3 of a quart more than the spec-ed amount in the owners manual for an oil and filter change. I'm sure Honda assumed the oil would be drained on a leveled lift when they made this spec.

I have always waited till it drips at about a drop every 1-2-3 seconds. And always ran the engine first to get any particulates suspended, shut down and start the draining.
I have always wet the filter with oil before spinning a new one on - not just a coat on the gasket, but try and get what I can in the filter. A vertical filter can be filled, but a horizontal I try and fill 1/4 - 1/3 and work it around to wet the media, and slap it on.

^^^^^ I use Errtt's method almost exactly, never install a dry filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back