shaving tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had those types in decades owning 4WD/AWD ... Even converted them myself before electronic stuff passed up my talent base. Sometimes I wished things had stopped about then.

Tire OD ? I worry about it to the extent of having a 5th rim + tire of same size for each of them. I don't carry them - but since most of my flats have been found in the driveway the morning of an important trip - 10 minutes later I am on my way with no limits. Would not run my Eaton locker on wimpy spare - and a double change is painful ...
I have never had tires turned down ... That is too precise for my basic brain.
wink.gif

The local Subaru dealer said all tires need to be with 2/32". They order shaved ones from TireRack for their customers in my situation. The dealer could not say they have ever seen a AWD system damaged by tread depth mismatch, but could be an expensive lesson for the $100 to $200 for a shaved/used tire.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Tire OD ? I worry about it to the extent of having a 5th rim + tire of same size for each of them.

I do a 5-tire rotation with a matching junkyard rim I purchased. It's a pain but I'm hoping it will pay off with longer overall life on a set of tires.

Reading an industry mag several years ago, they said they wanted circumference to match within 1/4" so you'd have to wrap a measuring tape around the tire.
Then again, I see a lot of lease returns from Subaru and other AWD vehicles with uneven wear between tires. I guess if the diff blows after they drop it off, they don't care.

Last edited:
So ended up getting replacement tire on EBAY for $60 and locally mounted for $20. Its within 2/32" of the other tires which is what Subaru recommends.

Originally Posted By: Donald
So ended up getting replacement tire on EBAY for $60 and locally mounted for $20. Its within 2/32" of the other tires which is what Subaru recommends.

I was going to suggest try to find a used one on Ebay that looks like it has the same tread depth.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Even in snow, I normally don't have any issues with RWD and proper winter tires, unless there is so much snow that I'm plowing it with my bumper in which case I should really be staying home instead of driving. That's when ask wife to use her SUV instead.
smile.gif

Front drive with snow tires has never let me down.

If we get FEET of snow, I have a Jeep with 4x4 and locking differential. But 99% of the time, my front wheel drive car with snow tires works great!

However, the Jeep is part time 4x4 so it's not really great in the snow. Add in the locking front differential and it handles like a front wheel drive car where your right foot is planted on the floor.

AWD would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back