Delo 400 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 with 6.0 Gas. Currently I am at 49,500 miles, I bought the truck used a year ago and promptly changed the oil so I knew which oil is in it and which filter is on it. I have been running PP for about 7500 miles and the OLM says I have 25% left. I want to change the oil soon and I am looking at switching to Delo 400 5w30 because it looks like a more robust oil. Am I being paranoid of an engine failure or is this a good oil to run in this truck with this engine. I also have a case of NAPA synthetic 5w30 in the barn that I was planning on using if I don't use Delo. I use NAPA Platinum filters. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thank you - Joel

It's dual rated API CJ-4 / SN so it'll be fine in your truck. It'll also be alot thicker than the PP which is always at the lower end of the viscosity ranges. No, I don't think you're being paranoid but I do think that the PP is the superior product. You mentioned a barn so if you use it in other vehicles/equipment and the duel rating allows you to stock less oils that makes sense to me.

If you have the NAPA syn, you might as well use it.
I believe it meets dexos 1 so should be appropriate for your engine.
Going forward, you could always try Delo.
The Delo is a HDEO and will have much higher HTHSV than the PCMOs that meet dexos 1, so you may see some minor loss in fuel economy with it.

The Delo would probably fulfill that goal.
Not sure why that's what you seek, though.
These Chevys can run hundreds of thousands of miles on nothing more than PCMO 5W-30.

Nothing wrong with your choice. Delo has gone a long way in a lot of engines. The engineers at Chevron are no slouches. They sell that stuff (Delo) by the tanker loads to fleets. It does well, or they would not be buying it
smile.gif

It would be Delo LE in a 5w-30 synthetic, and it is an E6, E7, E9, CJ-4/SN lubricant. There are Delvac 1, Castrol, and Petro-Canada equivalents, and Shell will be bringing one out soon in North America, too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It would be Delo LE in a 5w-30 synthetic, and it is an E6, E7, E9, CJ-4/SN lubricant. There are Delvac 1, Castrol, and Petro-Canada equivalents, and Shell will be bringing one out soon in North America, too.

Correct, Delo 5w30 LE 5W30 Synthetic

Any dexos1 lubricant would be preferred if under warranty. If you're not concerned with going out of spec, particularly after warranty has expired, the Delo will be a suitable lube. It's thicker than what's specified, but the Delo LE 5w-30 is a very advanced, low phosphorus lube. I'd have no problem using it in my G37.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back