Installing transmission cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a complete, brand new OEM tranny cooler for my truck for $80 shipped including all lines/hardware
banana2.gif
Anyways, I'm planning on installing it along with a complete fluid exchange at roughly the same time. Unfortunately, the transmission cooler lines are thermostatically controlled, so no home flush for me.

This means that the cooler must either be installed before or after the new fluid. Since the 6r80 is known to be very sensitive to fluid levels, along with difficult to check (dipstick is accessible only from under the vehicle, while running, very very close to cats) and fill I'm tempted to install it before bringing it in to the dealer for the fluid service. No known wear issues with the trans, but I am hoping fresh fluid helps with some sticky solenoids and such. Is there any substatial reason to avoid introducing the old ATF in the cooler? I would think that with the complete fluid exchange it will have fresh ATF ran through it anyways?

Are you replacing the original cooler?
Refilling the transmission can be a bit of a problem as it needs to be running to get the full quantity back in if the cooler has drained back into the pan otherwise it just spills out the fill hole as the thermostat won't let it fill all the way back up. I would remove the upper hose at the top of the radiator and let the fluid drain back through the cooler into the pan, then just install the new cooler. You shouldn't lose any fluid that way. Just run the transmission back up to temperature to reflow fluid through the new cooler. I would take it to the dealer for a fluid change after that, it's easier.

I added this to my 2009 6R80, but have replaced it with another head and fram ultra guard XG8 as this one started leaking.

387434d1436394189-pushing-too-hard-far-20150623_130759.jpg

Last edited:
My '11 didn't come with an aux trans cooler- thats what I'm adding. Pretty well considering just installing it immediately prior to heading in for the atf service. No known mechanical failures, so I don't think I have nay contamination issues to worry about.

I like your external filter kit! What product is it? Costs? Filter life?

Originally Posted By: buck91
My '11 didn't come with an aux trans cooler- thats what I'm adding. Pretty well considering just installing it immediately prior to heading in for the atf service. No known mechanical failures, so I don't think I have nay contamination issues to worry about.

I like your external filter kit! What product is it? Costs? Filter life?

You probably thought of this, but you probably want to let whoever does the service know you installed the factory cooler so they can add the correct amount of fluid.

Parts came today, looks super easy to install... Going to take a little will power to wait until I can fit in a dealer ATF service.

Are the t stats easy to get to on the ATF lines?

Perhaps you could bypass/ remove them during an ATF exchange.

Sounds like a pain, but I'd rather go through this and have a t stat controlled cooler than have a cooler installed willy nilly that could be over-cooling the ATF in the winter.

One mistake that gets made is not always putting the cooler close enough to the radiator coils. Not a problem at speed - but when going slow, sitting at idle (or in my case, deep sand) - you want the engine fan working for you.

Originally Posted By: buck91
The t-stats are all internal to the transmission.

This really stinks.

So does the dealer have to do a cooler line flush for you then so they get opened?

I'd personally just stick with pan drops/ refills if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back