need help choosing small concealed carry pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
50 round torture test. LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

A typical response from someone who lacks the common decency to let go of age-old theories because he's comfortable with them.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

+1

Like a 50 foot road test...

Would it have been better if I'd said 500 rounds? Why the child's play?

You can't easily clear a locked up revolver. It's typical to hear responses like these that just don't make sense when you begin to clear the air about silly theories old men have been hanging onto for years. So let's move on.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Would it have been better if I'd said 500 rounds? Why the child's play? You can't easily clear a locked up revolver. It's typical to hear responses like these that just don't make sense when you begin to clear the air about silly theories old men have been hanging onto for years. So let's move on.

This board thrives on this type of adolescent nonsense. Just look around, and you'll see what I mean. It all comes from the same 2 or 3 guys. (And I'm not referring to Astro 14 either). Just follow all the "LOL's" in most every one their posts. It's a certificate that qualifies their age.

A typical response from someone who lacks the common decency to let go of age-old theories because he's comfortable with them.
Dude. I like autos plenty. But facts are facts. Tiny autos are more finicky than tiny revolvers. And they don't have significant capacity advantage like a six shooter going up against an 18 round Glock 17. Shoot what you're comfortable with. I'm more comfortable with a j frame vs a tiny auto. In a stressful situation maybe I don't get a perfect grip on my pocket gun. Maybe I don't even pull it out of the pocket. And maybe I don't want to burn $1-200 proving an auto with carry ammo. If talking about a service size gun I'll take my Glocks over my revolvers with their 2-3x greater firepower in a similar size.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

+1

Like a 50 foot road test...

Would it have been better if I'd said 500 rounds? Why the child's play?

You can't easily clear a locked up revolver. It's typical to hear responses like these that just don't make sense when you begin to clear the air about silly theories old men have been hanging onto for years. So let's move on.

500 rounds would make me feel a lot better about a gun/ammo combination. If it's a semi- auto, be certain that you stick with the same magazines in your test. I've had guns that take a few hundred rounds just to break in.

If you're OK with trusting your life to something that you haven't tested, then you're a fool.

50 rounds isn't a reliability test. Period.

This isn't an "old man's silly theory" question, it's common sense. Clearly, common sense isn't child's play,,either. I'm not arguing about locked up revolvers, or semi autos (I own both), or which is better. I've advocated for both depending on the requirements of the situation.

This is about verifying that a particular gun/ammo combination is reliable. If you're carrying the gun for self defense, it must be reliable.

1200 rounds of .40 S&W Speer Gold dot 165gr, without cleaning, through my H&K while shooting in the desert, with dust and sand in the air, was a sufficient reliability test for that weapon/ammo combination for duty carry. Carry in which my life, and the lives of others, depended on that weapon.

If your life doesn't depend on the weapon, then it doesn't need to demonstrate reliability. Shoot 50, 20, whatever, I don't care. It's a range toy. Reliability becomes only matter of convenience for a range toy.

What made me, among others, laugh was the juxtaposition of the words: "50 round" and "torture test". It's oxymoronic.

Last edited:
I also left out the word "dude". Much like "LOL" it's yet another age certification point. It sort of reminds me of the old joke about Italians. If you cut off their hands, they can't talk.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Revolvers can have non chambered ammo jump the crimp, not something I'd want to deal with. If that happens the cylinder won't turn.

"Non chambered ammo" ???

The ammo in the cylinder not directly in line with the barrel. You knew what i meant!

Revolvers can have non chambered ammo jump the crimp, not something I'd want to deal with. If that happens the cylinder won't turn.

"Non chambered ammo" ???

The ammo in the cylinder not directly in line with the barrel. You knew what i meant!

If I did I wouldn't have asked. If that's what is occurring, it's a timing issue. Not an ammunition issue.

"Non chambered ammo" ???

If I did I wouldn't have asked. If that's what is occurring, it's a timing issue. Not an ammunition issue.

Whatever you say
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Boy, a lotta strongly held beliefs here. But what about something that fits the situation ...

Derringer anyone
laugh.gif

"Let me take a moment to talk to you about Bond Arms..."

I really wanted to like the SCCY pistols because of the owners good attitude towards quality but watch the Hickok45 review where he had repeated light primer strikes on some ammo. Luckily it has second strike capabilities iirc.

I really like my shield 9mm, the trigger is almost perfect for a defensive pistol, it's very crisp about 6 lbs with somewhat short reset

I watched it. Seems that Armscor ammo is to blame for the no-fire issues he had. I read on other forums where some had the same problem with Armscor ammo but with different weapons so maybe like Hickok45 says, hard primers might be to blame.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Seems that Armscor ammo is to blame for the no-fire issues he had. I read on other forums where some had the same problem with Armscor ammo but with different weapons so maybe like Hickok45 says, hard primers might be to blame.

This caused some issues with several 7.62 X 39 MM bolt guns, and AR-15 models when using Russian ammunition like Wolf and some others. In AK's the stuff functioned fine. But in some bolt actions and AR's there were FTF's occurring. AK-47's are designed for steel cased, hard primer ammunition, and came equipped with stronger firing pin springs. Many of these bolt guns and various AR-15 models did not. None of this seemed to effect the Ruger Mini 30 line, as they were also designed for this Russian hard primer, 7.62 X 39 MM ammunition.

I'm not entirely sure that's true. I haven't looked at my Mini 30 manual for a LONG time, but I seem to recall it specifying brass cased ammo, which I took to mean, no com block ammo. I got it about six or seven years ago, so my memory could very well be short circuited. Of course, the whole point of 7.62 x 39 is to shoot that cheap steel case ammo.

Back to the SSCY - mine shot steel cased commie ammo just fine, straight out of the box, for my CCL test. Stunk bad, though.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: BeerCan
I have a concealed carry permit in my state and I am finding myself in the position where I am going to have to carry a couple of times.
Problem is I live in FL, it is to dang hot and I am always in shorts and a t-shirt. My current pistols are way to big for this situation and I need an alternative. Small and reliable, cost is not an issue but I am not looking for anything fancy. Current pistols for reference are Sig P228 and a M&P 40.

Thx

Ruger LCP Custom.
No holster - no nothing. Slip it in your right-front pocket - never add anything to that pocket and off-you-go.
Absolutely love mine.

i would consider pocked carry for a semi pistol dangerous study how they release the striker. .

Striker fired guns almost all use a firing pin block which is pushed by the trigger bar, so unless the trigger is pulled the pin cannot contact the primer. I pocket carry in the appropriate holster sometimes that cover the trigger like a sticky holster or remora

Originally Posted By: CT8

i would consider pocked carry for a semi pistol dangerous study how they release the striker. .

You have to pull the trigger to get them to fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back