Polaris Ranger Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't find a category for ATV's / UTV's so I thought I would try here. Sorry if this offends anyone. Now the question: New Polaris Rangers come with the owners Manual calling for a 5w-50 motor oil. Naturally they want us to use THEIR oil at $13.00/qt for full syn. Anyone know who makes the Polaris oil, and what's so special about it???
Thank you.
Glen

I've never been able to find out who makes it. My older Ranger requires 0-40 before Mobil 1 became widely available. My choice was theirs or Amsoil, both expensive. I have the 500cc motor and the oil stays clean but smells of gas all the time. I would just use Mobil 1 0-40. Was going to suggest their 15-50 for summer but I see you are in Mn. I would just change it more often than the manual says.

If the Polaris Ranger has a wet clutch it will probably require a Jaso spec M or above. I am new to all this myself but my Teryx specs the Jaso M which Rotella oils have. Scroll down the forums list to Power Sports section, it's near the bottom of the list.

There is a motorcycle and powersports oil section.

If its a wet clutch, then you want a wet clutch compatible motorcycle oil.

ATV's can run hotter then motorcycles due to the engine being more enclosed and less airflow, so the recommendation for a 50 weight synthetic should not be taken lightly. A few folks will be along to recommend Rotella 15W40. I wouldn't for that application.

Mobil 1 V twin 20W50 or Valvoline synthetic 4T 20W50 are readily available at Wal-Mart and will work excellently.

89fce692-e87a-4b6d-b21a-6e579f1d67d3_1.04b19c2379d0bbeda16d15804d5f2e64.jpeg

8026542_mbi_112630_pri_larg.jpg

No wet clutch on the Ranger, it's a belt driven CVT just like a snowmobile.

Mobil 1 0W-40
Rotella T6 or any 5W-40 HDEO
Castrol Edge 5W-50
If you have Fleet Farm nearby, they have Mystik 0W-40 ATV oil that works well.

Polaris oil is blended by Lube Tech in Golden Valley, MN.

http://www.lubetech.com/

Mobil 1 makes a 5w50 as well as 15w50 avaliable in jugs at some Walmart and other locations. I believe you can site to store pickup the oil if they don't stock it regularly. Cost comes out to about $5/quart in the jug, less if M1 is on roll back

Amsoil AUV 5w50 would be my first choice also second the recommendation for Mystik 0w40 and would run it with full confidence great choice for year round performance.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
No wet clutch on the Ranger, it's a belt driven CVT just like a snowmobile.

No wet clutch? Then based on your climate, ANY 0W40/5W40 synthetic oil for winter and ANY 5W50/15W50/20W50 synthetic oil on the shelf for summer.

Go buy a bunch of NAPA synthetic on sale this month for $2.99/quart.

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NO_75510/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back