Possible Valve adjustment needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not to noisy just a little tick. engine seems tight and good power overall. I checked mpg last year and its better than epa listings. 43 avg in summer and 36 avg in winter. Syn oil has been run since mid to high 60kss. oil gets changed very 6 months.

When they are quiet that's when you need to worry. I have done some Honda engines with 200K and they were not out by much, they were in the between this and that spec.
Adjusting valve on a aluminum head engine can be a compromise depending on if the valves are sodium filled stems or not to compensate for thermal expansion of the stem (your Honda may have these on at least one valve), because the aluminum head expands at a higher rate a very slight tick is almost assured at some point during operation depending on engine temperature.
If its running well and they have not been adjusted before just checked I probably wouldn't touch them. Burning an exhaust valve on these would be rare unless someone set it too tight.

I dont know much about Hondas. I learned most of it fixing a burned exhaust valve on my DIL's CRV . It is a really nice engine despite the fact it runs backwards and is in sidewise.
grin2.gif

If you can't do it yourself, you might want to have it done at the Honda dealer because it's easy for a mechanic without experience on it to get it wrong, being such a precise adjustment.

The first time I did it on my 1985 Corolla, I got it wrong and the engine sounded like a sewing machine. I got it right the second time, and now, I'm an expert on it. My engine needs to be hot during valve adjustment, which makes it harder. I then need to set it to TDC, adjust four valves, set it to BDC, adjust the remaining four. I have a nice metric feeler gauge. You need to make sure that the gauge is tight between the valve and rocker, tighten the lock nut without changing the adjustment, and then recheck to make sure its correct. Use the correct-size gauges. When it's done, it's another challenge to ensure the valve-cover gasket, semicircular plug, and RTV silicone in the little sharp-edged gap areas are all installed correctly. Of course, then, I have to reinstall the air cleaner.

Also note that light, barely audible valve ticking in adjustable valves is not only normal but also necessary for proper operation and longevity.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
it's easy for a mechanic without experience on it to get it wrong, being such a precise adjustment.

No offense but if someone cant do a competent valve adjustment they have no business under the hood never mind calling themselves a mechanic.

he might think he will not make money off of it? He also told me that rotors cant be turned , omly replaced on my car! they are smooth as silk!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
he might think he will not make money off of it? He also told me that rotors cant be turned , omly replaced on my car! they are smooth as silk!

My old Subaru's rotors were below min thickness when the OEM pads were worn out. Is min thickness always stamped on the inside of the rotor? If so, check it.

Thanks for connecting me to Trav, he met me today , valves are fine and no adj needed.

Thanks to all here and Trav!!!

Yes, I just saw this thread. I'm going to let the delearship do the valve adjustment soon and they're giving me a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back