To Unlock Innovation, Change the Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've already talked a little bit about this, but just saw this in LNG for August:

Lubes N Greases August 2016

Interesting graph on page 22 regarding 0W20 uptake into market vs 0W16. This goes along with the EPA allowing the use of 0WXX oils for CAFE credits - it appears that the EPA doesn't allow the use of 0W16 for CAFE and won't until it is "readily available" in the market - except if OEM's can't specify them for CAFE, then oil marketers will be slow to bring them to market. This was the case with 0W20 which took 8 years from the first time it was sold in 2000 to 2008 when the EPA finally allowed it to be used for credits. 0W16 was first sold in Japan in 2009 and we have been talking about it on BITOG since around then (7 years) but there are still only 5 license holders for 0W16 or 5W16 in the USA. And the EPA still isn't letting OEM's use it for CAFE credits. (Dexos1 spec only works for 0W20, 5W20 and 5W30).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find the technology that goes into Engine Oil fascinating. If companies have new innovative technologies and partnerships with OEM's then I wish they would be able to use it NOW. GF-6 is delayed until 2018 - and that's not even 100% confirmed to be possible. The innovation curve may not be as quick as say getting a new iphone every year, but I agree the implementation time on new technology in the engine oil business takes way too long!

Yes. But even the European ACEA credentials and JASO both use a lot of the same test methods and basic specifications. So they could all use a bit of an overhaul but the North American system is especially bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back