Gas grills

Status
Not open for further replies.
What brand do you have? What features are your favorite and what can you live without?
I'm in the market for a medium sized gas grill. I've been recommend Weber by several, but just not sure if I want to spend that much. I'm all about buying quality, so I will consider Weber, but just wanted more opinions.

I've got a Weber that's configured for natural gas. It plugs right into a NG line with shutoff valve that I had installed next to the deck. No more propane tanks!

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I've got a Weber that's configured for natural gas. It plugs right into a NG line with shutoff valve that I had installed next to the deck. No more propane tanks!

Reminds me of a old joke:

A guy jumps out of an airplane and his parachute won't open, looks down and sees a guy coming up from the ground, when they get about even the guy says "Hey, you know anything about parachutes" the other guy says, "No, you know anything about lighting gas grilles".
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: RN89
What brand do you have? What features are your favorite and what can you live without?
I'm in the market for a medium sized gas grill. I've been recommend Weber by several, but just not sure if I want to spend that much. I'm all about buying quality, so I will consider Weber, but just wanted more opinions.

How much you want to spend and how big of a grill do you want? Also will it be covered when stored or out in the weather?

Webber Q is a good bet for a lower cost variant. I went that route because I prefer a grill that I can fold down the sides and store it indoors for the winter if desired.

Have a Kenmore of some sort, with side burner. The burner gets some usage, when we want to boil something in summer but not have the extra heat inside the house. The rest of the time it's just there.

our grill sits on the corner of the deck, and rarely gets moved. So the rigidly affixed sides are ok. We did move it once or twice, the sides were so-so--good lift points, but it does make it all the larger.

Another vote for a Weber Q. I have an earlier model, a Q120 I think. It folds up, though I keep it outside under a cover, and it's on the Weber folding cart...so it looks and acts like a rolling grill, but I can lift it right up off the cart and put it in the back of the car or truck and go to the game with it, picnic, etc. I use it with both the small propane canisters and also the larger cylinders with a longer hose. It just SIPS fuel -- it's small enough inside that you don't burn a massive amount of fuel just to cook two burgers. Material quality is excellent. I've had mine for going on 7 or 8 years now I think (it's been a long time), and the burner still looks excellent (no rusting or pitting to speak of) and the enamel cast iron grate is still in excellent condition. The main body of the grill is aluminum, so it won't rust. It channels all drippings down to a central funnel point, into a small tray.

This replaced a cheap Char Broil that rusted out after about 3 years. The burners rusted, the heat tents rusted, the floor rusted. When I couldn't find replacement burners for a reasonable price, I bought the Weber Q.

I have a Broil Mate that I love, I never got into charcoal, always found it way too much work.

I use the Mesquite wood chip in Aluminum foil trick, and the flavor is amazing compared to just propane.

I have an inherited Broil King and I like it a lot.

I like to keep whatever I own going as long as possible so I've only ever bought one barbecue (about 1979). I kept it going for at least 20 years. The burners burned out a couple of times so I replaced them, the sheetmetal post rotted off so I had an aluminum one fabricated, etc. One of our neighbours gave us a much better Kenmore barbecue they didn't like (it didn't work properly - because the burner was shot and they never fixed anything - so I replaced the burner) and ran that for 10 - 12 years. Finally we inherited our current Broil King when my in-laws died. I converted it from gas to propane (as there's no natural gas at this location) and plan to keep this one going forever. My FIL would be proud to see his 4 year old great grandson taking an interest in how to light his "pride and joy" barbecue.

I gave that Kenmore away in good running order - how many barbecues do you need.

Barbecues are quite simple. Buy whatever you like and replace parts as needed. Generic parts are readily available too and they work fine. With a little effort you can often find generic parts that look identical to the originals - probably made in the same factory.

I've got the cheapest stainless gas grill I could find. Other than I wouldn't recommend putting anything over 15 pounds on the side tables it's perfectly adequate for anything I've needed. My thinking is I can replace this one every 5 years and still be money ahead in 20 years.

I bought a new Weber Q 120 at a yard sell for $40 dollars with tank and stainless cooking "stuff".
I LOVE IT!!!!
Before this I had a CharGriller that I paid close to $200 and that lasted only a few years.....rusted away on my covered porch.

I love the Weber Q series !!!!!

I picked up a 5-burner Charmglow on sale at Walmart in 2007. Stainless steel everything, nice heavy grates. Hasn't given me a moment's trouble except for rusted out burners which I've replaced twice since 2007. Nothing else has rusted despite the weather in Texas. Stainless is definitely the way to go. My last painted / powdercoated grille was a Weber with ceramic grates, and it rusted away to the point of being unsafe in just a few years. My sister's non-stainless Weber did the same.

Dyna Glow 4 burner (technically 5 w/side burner), bought on Amazon at Christmas time. Natural gas so no propane tanks to worry about, and virtually no cost to operate. I use it at least once a week, often more. Picked up some discount steaks and had a steak for lunch every day last week (I work from home).

We've had a Weber Genesis now for 5 or 6 years and it's still performs just like it did on day one. It sees year round use-at least two or three times each week in the summer and once a week in the winter. At least once a month we have 8-16 people over for dinner and it's not uncommon to run the Genesis for 2-3 hours at a time when we do some serious outdoor cooking.

The Genesis replaced a Weber red top that is now doing semi-retired duty at our lakehouse. I can still get parts for the red top should I ever need them, but I have never needed anything other than one replacement knob (Weber sent it to me for free).

The red top is closing in on 25 years old. I fully expect the Genesis to last just as long, making the slightly higher initial purchase price less per year when amortized out over the full life when compared to purchasing 3 or 4 cheapo grills over the same time period.

Webber is way way overpriced.. Lots of advertising brings up the cost.. I have a 6 burner BBQ with all the options and a 10 yr warranty on the burners that hooks up to the gas line and it cost me under $600.00 It is used a lot will it last as long as a webber i dont know but i do know i can buy another 3 of them if they dont for the price of one webber... I have a neighbor that has a $6,000 bbq and it cooks the same as his.
Yes $6,000 NOT $600.00

I've had my Weber E320 for just over a year now. It gets used a lot and it has been flawless so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back