Grill/Burger Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just completed a backyard remodel, and was looking to add a grill. Since I already have gas, can someone recommend a good grill for me?

I also wanted to get some advice on really good burgers for the cooking. I do not mind paying more for a really good grill burger. And of course the bun as well.

Thanks in advance

I have a Weber Genesis that is built-in to the back yard deck/patio area. It's plumbed into the propane system of the house. It does an outstanding job, heats evenly, and I have no problem running it up to 600+ degrees to get a good sear.

As far as burgers, I grind our own combination of short ribs, chuck and pork. Toss in a little seasoning and perhaps some sesame oil for a slight Asian flair. The real art to a good burger is to not smash the juices out of it while it's grilling.

Of course our buns are home made sourdough buns.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I have a Weber Genesis that is built-in to the back yard deck/patio area. It's plumbed into the propane system of the house. It does an outstanding job, heats evenly, and I have no problem running it up to 600+ degrees to get a good sear.

As far as burgers, I grind our own combination of short ribs, chuck and pork. Toss in a little seasoning and perhaps some sesame oil for a slight Asian flair. The real art to a good burger is to not smash the juices out of it while it's grilling.

Man I bet those burgers are AWESOME!!
20.gif

OP, when you say you have gas out there, is it propane or NG? I believe the grill set up would be slightly different on either.

I don't think you can go wrong with a US-made Weber (beware of Chinesium variants). Their design, quality, etc are all great. I didn't personally care for the size and structural setup of the big Webers, so I bought the largest Q model, which can have the sides collapse, tucks away better/easier, and still has a large cooking surface. Might I get a big, color-coordinated Weber at some point? Definitely. But we got a screaming end of year deal on the Q, and I like that I could fold down the sides and tuck the whole thing tightly away for winter.

As for burgers, Ive had some wonderful ones that were essentially just a good and fattier cut of beef scooped out with an ice cream scoop. I personally like a lot of chopped onion mixed in, with a little seasoning.

But the other thing Ive found that I prefer, are burgers cooked in a cast iron skillet. I think they come out a little bit better, perhaps because they remain much more in their own juices. We don't really even grill burgers anymore unless making a lot of them, because I prefer this method so much.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Man I bet those burgers are AWESOME!!
20.gif

+1

20.gif

We had gas grills for decades and two years ago switched to a Big Green Egg; no way would we go back to a gas grill.

Gas grills are surely convenient.

I have a Weber Genesis and I LOVE it. Since you already have natural gas or propane at the house, it's a no brainer to plumb it into the house. Just realize that they sometimes need a bigger line than you think otherwise your grill will never heat up to proper temp.

As far as burgers, never did find a packaged burger that was up to my standards.

Use 85/15 or 80/20 ground beef. Add some chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, chopped fresh mushrooms, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and spicy mustard to the meat, mix it all up, and form up some patties and you will never have any complaints.

For buns, grab some fresh baked buns from the bakery, or fresh baked Cuban bread, slice into burger sized buns, butter them, sprinkle with garlic pepper, and toast on the grill. Makes a nice garlic toast bun that everyone loves.

Tips to cook burgers:

-High heat, 500+
-Flip only once, never more than once, usually after about 3-5 minutes
-Don't squeeze down all the juices with the turner
-MUST buy a digital thermometer, so you dont just overcook for 15-20 minutes.
-Meat continues to cook for a few minutes after it is removed.
-Most pro's recommend a 5 minute rest before eating to allow juice to settle and meat to finish cooking.
-Thus, you can remove it a bit sooner than your preferred temp as it will continue to cook.
-USDA recommends well done at 160 degrees
-Most pros recommend 140 degrees for medium and 150 for medium well

As far as burgers, I grind our own combination of short ribs, chuck and pork.

Ground pork needs to be cooked to 160-165 degrees for safety, which would make a pretty well done burger. Wont work (safely) for those that like rare or medium burgers.

I have a Sears Kenmore stainless 5 burner. It is designed that you can install it in a patio island. Best grill I have ever owned. I bought it at a 50% off sale. It's 13 years old and looks like I bought it last week. I always use Costco burger for grilling.

I use a charcoal Weber. I have a really nice, high end propane grill, but the taste difference is remarkable between charcoal and propane. Kingsford charcoal in the Weber simply is fantastic.

I purchase ground Bison from Costco. And I add one small chunk of Mesquite wood to the charcoal. Mmmmmmm, mmmmmm!!!!

I even get the red smoke ring in my meats when grilling this way. Incredible!

Want even cooking? Keep grease off the burners and the grill out of the wind.

Want the best tasting burgers? Every large city has certain meat markets that offer very tasty ground chuck. I add a healthy dose of coarse ground pepper - then add whatever condiments you may like on that hamburger.

Hamburger buns need to be decided by the person buying them. Some like buns with seeds like sesame - some like wheat buns - some like potato buns - some like white buns - some like onion hoagie buns.....etc....etc.

Last edited:
The grill I have is a homemade one my neighbor gave me before he moved. It's made out of a small iron barrel with an iron base,pole,and grill surface. Separate smoke box on the side. Charcoal and hardwood only.

I love grilling vegetables along side of the meats too.

I use charcoal myself.

For burgers, look up Cooks Illustrated's recipe for their premium/gourmet style, where you grind your own meat in a Cuisinart. Whenever I see sirloin or chuck roast on sale, I do this.

Store-bought ground meat can't touch this.....

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I use charcoal myself.

For burgers, look up Cooks Illustrated's recipe for their premium/gourmet style, where you grind your own meat in a Cuisinart. Whenever I see sirloin or chuck roast on sale, I do this.

Store-bought ground meat can't touch this.....

I used to have HEB do this for me. I'd forgotten how good it was!!

Our local Publix offers a "Market Beef" ground beef on sale sometimes. It is literally ground up trim from cutting days.

Absolutely fantastic and very fresh...

You've posted photos of your cooking and it always looks very delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back