Ford 5.4L 3v, no leak, no oil burn, no drop of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
05 expedition 5.4L 3v 200,300k miles, no leak, no oil burn, no drop of oil between change, 5k or 6 month. 5w20 it whole life, on what ever dino oil is on sale. it does have that phaser noise, but never give me any problem.

Now I want to try Castrol Magnatec , synthetic blend, since for last 200k miles, I been using dino oil, will synthetic blend make this engine leak or burn oil ? also if I use castrol gtx high miles, will my engine leak or oil burn ? should I still stick with dino since i been using it it whole life. I stick with 5w20 on what ever oil im using for this engine.

I want switch everything I own to castrol product from now.

when my titan done free oil change, I will switch to castrol edge.

Last edited:
Anyone who asks if my engine will leak or burn oil if I switch shouldn't ask this question. No one knows for sure. With those miles I'd stick to what you've been using. Most HM oils are a blend. The only way to know is try.

That can't be right. No engine can go past 50K miles on 5w-20 oil.

If dino got it to 200K, I'm sure dino will get it to 300K no problem.

You can switch if you want to, there is never a guarantee that a different formulation won't cause a change in the trend, or there is no reason to believe it will either. If you try a formulation and you don't like the results, it is not like oil in the sump is a permanent decision. Since it has tolerated many different brands with no changes in consumption behavior.I don't think Magnetec will be any different

I'd probably run an interval of the GTX HM oil. Then go to the Magnatech syn-blend as my strategy and see how you like it.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
05 expedition 5.4L 3v 200,300k miles, no leak, no oil burn, no drop of oil between change, 5k or 6 month. 5w20 it whole life, on what ever dino oil is on sale. it does have that phaser noise, but never give me any problem.

Now I want to try Castrol Magnatec , synthetic blend, since for last 200k miles, I been using dino oil, will synthetic blend make this engine leak or burn oil ? also if I use castrol gtx high miles, will my engine leak or oil burn ? should I still stick with dino since i been using it it whole life. I stick with 5w20 on what ever oil im using for this engine.

I want switch everything I own to castrol product from now.

when my titan done free oil change, I will switch to castrol edge.

Don't switch until signs inside your engine warrant it. Don't try to fix anything that's remains healed and well.

Next time you buy the dino oil that's on sale, buy 1qt of the same brand full synthetic oil. See what happens. Next time use 2qts and so on.....

I have a 2010 F150 with the 5.4 3v. I'm currently running Magnatec 5w20 and the engine is very smooth and quiet on this oil, more so than Motorcraft. Yes I know this is not scientific in any way.

Ford dealers used a synblend for years and got great life out of the modular V8. I don't see why having a syn-blend would be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back