Top Search Today..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you just do?
Its historical in nature.
You put the P in it...... And tried other nonsense to boot...
No agenda from me as there was many sources on this.
I read a few articles and I could have just posted a non p one but did not look at it until it was up.
Honest mistake.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Let's not bring politics into this.

Links article from Top Right News.

IBTL!

Read further- Involved and paid doesn't jive with facts presented over the years.

Most of the labor force consisted of local White laborers and artisans (from Maryland and Virginia) and a number of immigrants from Ireland, Scotland, and other European nations.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The article answers its own question. Slaves were involved. Paid or not they were slaves.

Is wording the issue here? She didn't say the house was built "only" with slave labor, but every article I've looked at since the original post says that slaves did work on it.

Even the Wiki article says this: "The main residence, as well as foundations of the house, were built largely by enslaved and free African-American laborers, as well as employed Europeans." That conflicts with the topright article's statement that slaves were brought in to do whitewashing at the end.

I doubt this is a top search today because of people's interest in history. From the first linked article:

"In other words, even as Michelle Obama herself rebukes the nation’s history of racism, she is a living example that America has done much to overcome it."

This was stated as a criticism in the article, but it actually seems to be summarizing exactly the point Mrs. Obama was trying to make in her speech.

Rhymingmechanic

I have heard this before and have heard this on many other historical properties.
I won't get into the speech as my thoughts are about the actual truth. You know like the
Chinese built the railroads....etc.
Where did Wiki and others get the information?
Is Wiki slanted to either side? I do see the references but most of it is regurgitated info.
smile.gif

Historical facts seem to change often.

It happened. slaves where here and other countries. Things where built. Either way its our history. And our place as a nation was due in part to slavery. Its a fact. All we can do now is move on and not repeat the past wrong.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
What did you just do?

I pointed out the silliness of your thread. You linked an article from a politically-driven source about a speech given by a political figure (yes, the First Lady is that) at a political convention.

But, let's not being politics into this.

I mentioned the Wikipedia article because you linked to it. I don't necessarily think Wiki is a definitive resource, either.

Google last night's "Truth-o-meter" article on this subject for another take and some additional sources. The article sidesteps the political agenda of Topright news, but the source, Politifact, obviously suggests "P" territory as well. That organization does seem to critique without regard for party affiliations from what I've seen.

Last edited:
History is something we must always be aware of so as not to relive the bad aspects of it. However, the future is coming at us bringing change faster than ever before. Reflecting on the White House constructors is fun and all, but what are we going to do about a future that is full of full automation, robotics and threatened by geopolitics and a changing demographic?
No one can change the past.
To me, the the future is what must be dwelled on. Soon, we will all be gone, but about our children? How do we prepare them to prosper in a world of continual technological change?
I'm thinking a total revamp of our education system to prepare them for what will be challenging them when they are our age is a good place to start.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Her husband and her have done a great job diving the nation in the past seven and a half years.

Into those who can spell and those that cannot?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Her husband and her have done a great job diving the nation in the past seven and a half years.

Into those who can spell and those that cannot?

lol.gif

Rhymingmechanic

I have heard this before and have heard this on many other historical properties.
I won't get into the speech as my thoughts are about the actual truth. You know like the
Chinese built the railroads....etc.
Where did Wiki and others get the information?
Is Wiki slanted to either side? I do see the references but most of it is regurgitated info.
smile.gif

Historical facts seem to change often.

So you're saying the "facts" that were stated on it being built by whites, are somehow more true?

They're both regurgitated statements, and you choose to believe one as more correct than the other.

reminds me of:

Last edited:
Yeah only you did that.
You must be a Jim Jones Kool-Aide disciple...

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
What did you just do?

I pointed out the silliness of your thread. You linked an article from a politically-driven source about a speech given by a political figure (yes, the First Lady is that) at a political convention.

But, let's not being politics into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back