Mechanic says Rear End Failing??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: exranger06
I would search for 4x4 performance shops that install a lot of suspension lift kits and other off-road stuff. Many off-roaders regear their axles when installing bigger tires. These shops probably rebuild a lot of differentials.

will do - thanks!!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
A quart is a huge amount for the differential to leak, so unfortunately that may have done bearing damage.

All you can really do is keep an eye out for leaks, keep it topped up, and listen for noise.

I agree with exranger06, shops that deal with lifted trucks should be very experienced with differential and driveline stuff or know who is.

wow - !! yeah, I'm watching it closely - and just got laid off my job, so now finances are even tighter - I'll get unemployment but I was seriously considering just going ahead and getting this done but now...not so much.

thanks for your comment - !

Drive on till it makes noise. It will give you warning before it fails to the point of leaving you stranded.

Originally Posted By: Bluebonnet
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
A quart is a huge amount for the differential to leak, so unfortunately that may have done bearing damage.
All you can really do is keep an eye out for leaks, keep it topped up, and listen for noise.

wow - !! yeah, I'm watching it closely - and just got laid off my job, so now finances are even tighter - I'll get unemployment but I was seriously considering just going ahead and getting this done but now...not so much.
thanks for your comment - !

Stay away from 75W85 or 75W90.
Go for 75W140 or 80W90 or 80W/85W -140.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Way back, did these things myself. Recently, took my son to a 4x4 shop with rear end issues. (Dodge PU)
Was impressed - Gearhead Supreme types. Explained we needed a low cost fix - they said they deal with lots of young guys on a budget. They did a good job for a good price. (That's not to say there was not some big dollar rigs in there too)
They put Schaeffer 75-140 syn back in it when done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back