ice cream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, the local ice cream truck goes by playing "Pop Goes the Weasel" on an endless loop. I pity the driver. Can't they mix the music up a little? We use to occasionally get an ice cream treat from him, when the kids were young.

That got me to thinking about vacations down at the shore when I was young. We'd spend a couple of weeks in Wildwood, NJ. Afternoons at the beach. On the hot beach, the Fudgie man would come by, all dressed in white, calling out "FUDGESICLES!, POPSICLES!, ICE CREAM CONES!". He'd be lugging an over-sized aluminum cooler, with a strap over his shoulder. My father would flag him down to get me a treat. The cold foggy air would escape the cooler as he opened it to get my fudgesicle. Those fudgesicles were great, even when they got sand on them.

Care to share any of your stories?

There's a great ice cream shop around here that has a choo-choo train that goes around the top part of the ceiling that's pretty cool. The shop uses the finest ingredients of milk, cream, sugar, Belgium chocolate and some other organic ingredients in some of the flavors. The finest vanilla etc. Here's a link to their yelp reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mitchells-homemade-ice-cream-westlake-2

Train pic

Train pic 2

Last edited:
There's a really sketchy looking icecream truck I see in my area that plays jingle bells.
confused.gif

I used to be able to get ice cream for $1.50 now you buy one ice cream and it's like $4.50, probably the cost of the whole box. Then it said drinks for a dollar, so the guy added $2.00, came out to $6.50. I could buy lunch for that price.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
There's a great ice cream shop around here that has a choo-choo train that goes around the top part of the ceiling that's pretty cool. The shop uses the finest ingredients of milk, cream, sugar, Belgium chocolate and some other organic ingredients in some of the flavors. The finest vanilla etc.

Pretty girl with ice cream pic

I loved the ice cream man and ice cream lady (we had two different ones,depending on if we were at our house or our grandparents house around the block) when I was a little kid. We'd wait for them every day,and when we'd hear the music in the background we got so excited!! My favorites were Mighty Malts and 7-Up popsicles.

I only buy ice cream from the supermarket. Places like Coldstone are nothing but big rip-offs, even with a (1) half-off coupon when buying (2).
My favorite deal is a near half-gal of Kroger Premium ice cream for $2.50 sometimes. Butter Pecan or Death By Chocolate are my favorite flavors.

Last edited:
My favorite ice cream brand is Baskin Robbins. I will say this,when I buy a container of it from one of their shops that they pack while I wait,it definitely tastes better than when I buy it prepackaged at HEB.

My memories of ice cream as a youth involve a local creamery which is still popular today, 50 years later. Farr's Ice cream was a regular stop for our family when we visited a neighboring city. My family was very willing to try different flavors, but one of the most memorable was Batman, a licorice and vanilla swirl. I can still recall ordering a cone of Batman once, and the ice cream jockey left out a little laugh. I asked my father what was so funny about it. the ice cream jockey and my father explained that Batman was poplular with all the kids, but all it really was, was a mild version of Licorice ice cream.

I think that was the last time I ordered Batman. But licorice became, and is to this day, one of my favorite ice cream flavors at Farr's.

My favorite ice cream vendor of all time was a guy who worked the Philadelphia Phillies home games at old Connie Mack Stadium in the 1960's. The guy looked a little like Bob Hope and he'd walk through the lower grandstands yelling, "Ice Cream. Ice cream. Give your tongue a sleigh ride."

I'm not a big ice cream consumer, but wife's favorite is Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla.

If you are ever in St. Louis for any reason, the things you must do are to visit the zoo; which is one of the biggest, best in the nation, and it is FREE admission. They rape you on food, souvenirs, and parking, but you can park up the street for free and bring a cooler for lunch.

When you're tired of the zoo, go to Ted Drewes for frozen custard: http://teddrewes.com/

This is a St. Louis tradition. If you go to Ted Drewes after a ballgame at 11 pm, there will be police in the streets directing traffic, and 12 lines of people to get Ted Drewes. It used to be on their website that once a month, a Fedex airplane takes off from Lambert Field International Airport, lands in London, England; and delivers 5 gallons of chocolate frozen Ted Drewes to Buckingham Palace...And if you should have lunch with Queen Elizabeth, she MAY serve you chocolate Ted Drewes.

Absolutely useless information, but bragging rights. The other major attractions in St. Louis are the Arch (go up in it in the daytime and again at night, it's totally different). Go to Missouri Botanical Gardens (Shaw's Gardens), go to a Cardinal's game in Busch Stadium, visit the Historic district in Laclede's landing, go shopping at Grand Central Station, and take in a show (movie) on the The OMNIMAX® Theater is an experience like no other! The massive, crystal clear images projected on our 5 story, 79ft. diameter dome fill your entire field of vision, and combined with 15,000 watts of surround sound, create a truly immersive sight and sound experience. - See more at: http://www.slsc.org/omnimax-theater#sthash.ITMI6RNo.dpuf

I make my own- 2 cans of evaporated milk, 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk, pint of half & half, 2 teaspoons of vanilla and about a pint of milk. 25 minutes in the White Mountain and it's ready.

My ice cream story goes back many decades. We had a guy pedal around the neighborhood about once a week on one of these:
ice-cream-bike.jpg

It was a rare treat to buy one of his over priced products. I mowed lawns in my very early teens and my dad noticed one of my payment quarters was collectable. He offered to trade me for it, but for some reason I refused. He was furious when I used that quarter asap to buy an orange creamsicle from the ice cream man. To this day I don't know what motivated me not to trade that quarter to my dad.

We don't have ice cream sellers on the street, only Mr Whippy who does those soft serve things out of a tap...I've never bought one. For an ice cream in a cone we go down to the local shops, and get one at the dairy. Coming home from school we would get a chocolate dip, they'd dip the ice cream in a pot of chocolate....orange chocolate was a jaffa. At the movies they would sell ice creams at interval, they were a truncated cone so they would fit in the tray.

In the '70's I used to work at NZ's largest ice crean manufacturer, we had an open top freezer in the workshop next to the parts counter...everytime you got some parts, you tried something different. The building I currently work in was an ice cream factory in the '50's.

The best Ice Cream shops are independents. Owner Operators/Family businesses.

Just buy a prefab building(8x12) with windows, build counters, sink, blenders and an Electro Freeze Freezer. But 1/2 acre by a busy country crossroad, get some gravel paved in, electric, have reliable hours.

The ice cream truck is overpriced anyways, I have been going to Costco a lot lately for their giant waffle cones which are only $1.99 here. That same cone anywhere else would be triple that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back