Coat battery terminals with something or leave dry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should the terminals be coated with grease or something else?

I have tried Vasoline but it melts under high under hood temps.

What works for you?

Thanks a ton!

I would and have coated the ones here with NOCO battery corrosion protector. There's a cleaner and a protector. I also added some felt washers that go under the clamps. I was getting some build up under the positive terminal on both cars but not anymore. You can buy the kit at Walmart for $4. The service centers will do it for you for $3.50. Your choice.

Another thread on here.

NOCO Kit

Get a sealed AGM battery and don't worry about it. If the terminals are corroding the battery is leaking.

I've used the goo they sell at the auto parts stores, vasoline, the red spray they sell at auto parts stores, and Pledge furniture polish, and my new Camry is uncoated from the factory. They all look good.

Originally Posted By: Bebop367
I like Fluid Flim

+1

I use dielectric grease too.

Leave dry if you have an AGM battery, otherwise I like the NOCO pads and a thin layer of something like Deoxit on flooded batteries.

AGMs don't vent H2SO4 vapor like flooded batteries do- that's what causes the corrosion.

I just use wheel bearing grease. Put it on in november and it doesn't get hot enough to melt away all winter.

I use the felt washers on all of my vehicles and use either the spray on corrosion protector or spray on white lithium grease (depending on what is handy at the time.) Either has worked fine for me.

If you have a battery built by Johnson Conrols, don't be afraid to hose down the whole top of the battery with battery protectant-on the xB in my sig, the hold down bar actually has corrosion on it, but the protected clamps are fine. They literally leak acid pretty much everywhere!

CRC makes good stuff for BT's in spray cans - one can will last a long time ...
It has a red dye so you can tell what got coated all the way ... (I hit the other terminals too)

We only have Napa, AZ, and O'R - so from one of them ...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If you have a battery built by Johnson Conrols, don't be afraid to hose down the whole top of the battery with battery protectant-on the xB in my sig, the hold down bar actually has corrosion on it, but the protected clamps are fine. They literally leak acid pretty much everywhere!

In 2012 the new generation Camrys come with leaker batterys now. The previous gens had nice sealed units with the green eye. Even has corrosion around the battery strap.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I use high temp red grease around the terminal and all over the connection. I've never had any corrosion on any of the 15+ cars since I learned the trick in HS auto shop.
ohhhh nice, dielectric grease seems to eventually fade away

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I use high temp red grease around the terminal and all over the connection. I've never had any corrosion on any of the 15+ cars since I learned the trick in HS auto shop.

What the red high temp grease look like , can you post pix

The felt washers go under the terminals when the battery is new. A few drops of motor oil from my oil squirter on the bolts and top of the terminal, once or twice a year, when I feel like it. The batteries get a little oil stained but so what. I haven't had to deal with battery terminal corrosion since 1970 something or other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back