Purolator PureONE PL14610 - 6k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Older stock I purchased a few years back. This was used on my sister's 2007 Vue, which has the Honda V6. 6k miles, including colder temps and some short trips. Changed per the OLM. It looks like there is a slight tear by the end of one of the pleats near the seam, but it was very hard to tell. ADBV was soft and pliable. Full of oil when removed.

20160721_194303_resized_zpsaihbwe3b.jpg

20160721_194237_resized_zpsy3rmacy3.jpg

Possible Tear?:
20160721_194231_resized_zpsvsvu4sk4.jpg

20160721_194132_resized_zpsyf7itujh.jpg

20160721_194220_resized_zpsobyqp5cj.jpg

20160721_194121_resized_zps6tk4vfng.jpg

20160721_194138_resized_zpsxextj3dc.jpg

20160721_194148_resized_zpsc2qtr8vp.jpg

20160704_151747_resized_zpsjwn6dqhp.jpg

20160704_151738_resized_zpsrqypbfev.jpg

20160721_194116_resized_zps2tsasqi4.jpg

No tears on this end:
20160704_151730_resized_zpsorvnhylp.jpg

Made April 26, 2013 line E and 1st shift and starting to tear on pleats on both side of crimp. Doesn't look awful to me

Originally Posted By: car51
Not being picky, but what oil was used and what did you replace with? Thanks
smile.gif

Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-20 was in the vehicle at the time, and replaced with Formula Shell 5W-20, using another PureONE from the same batch. I stocked up on a bunch that were on clearance.

Have one Yellow Can of Death left on the shelf - going to make it a paper weight in the shop ...

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Yes, thats a tear...why are people still using these?

Pretty sure 99% of the problems people are having with torn filters are user error. Purolator clearly states to only use the Classic and P1 at factory recommended OCI intervals. Which, for most cars is still 3k to 5k miles. Neither filter is marketed as an extended drain filter, and the majority of the tearing issues are happening to filters used beyond the recommended OCI or longer than 3 to 6 months. The media is just like paper dunked in a glass of water, the longer it stays saturated in oil, the faster it breaks down and is more susceptible to tearing.
I'm not saying it's okay for a filter to tear, but it's also not okay to push it beyond it's recommended usage interval and blame the manufacturer because it failed. I don't think Purolator should be getting away with these quality control issues and I, like many others hope they get their ducks in a row one of these days!

It's not user error error at all. If I put a P1 on a Chrysler that says 4,000 mile OCI, then a piece of Purolator trash should be able to handle 4,000 miles if not; that's pathetic and very sad

Why is there such a cult following to these when they tear so much. It's like the nostalgia of the tearing problem is why people keep using them

Quote:
...It's like the nostalgia of the tearing problem is why people keep using them

Perhaps. Or maybe it's a 'gotcha' thing for some. I read posters here that regularly rail against M&H Puro filters but continue to use them then post their extreme displeasure if the results is not to their liking. Hard to comprehend. I'd give specific examples, but not wanting to cause a firestorm of denials and/or excuses. Safe to say I've observed them on more than one occasion from some posters. But, not referring the OP here with that observation. To me it's quite simple, don't like them, don't use them.

This one doesn't look too bad imo, but as noted by some others, clearly at it's max.

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted By: jongies3

Pretty sure 99% of the problems people are having with torn filters are user error. Purolator clearly states to only use the Classic and P1 at factory recommended OCI intervals. Which, for most cars is still 3k to 5k miles. Neither filter is marketed as an extended drain filter, and the majority of the tearing issues are happening to filters used beyond the recommended OCI or longer than 3 to 6 months. The media is just like paper dunked in a glass of water, the longer it stays saturated in oil, the faster it breaks down and is more susceptible to tearing.
I'm not saying it's okay for a filter to tear, but it's also not okay to push it beyond it's recommended usage interval and blame the manufacturer because it failed. I don't think Purolator should be getting away with these quality control issues and I, like many others hope they get their ducks in a row one of these days!

Your theory is not true. Many of the torn filters reported had normal OCI mileage on them. And keep in mind that all of a sudden there was a big rash of reported torn Purolators. It wasn't because everyone all of a sudden started using them differently, it was because something changed in the manufacturing and quality of the filters. Pretty easy to see that.

I take it you never saw the infamous "tear spreadsheet", which BTW should have about 25~30 more filters listed that aren't because Stu_Rock stopped keeping it up to date. Take a look at use mileage column and you'll see most of these were not really ran very long.

Torn Media Spreadsheet [LINK]

Oh my word...
crazy.gif

There's no denying that there was a tearing issue with the Purolator Classic and P1 filters, and many of the tears that occurred were within the specified oil change intervals in owner's manuals. I think that it is a shame that the tearing issue ever happened in the first place because I really liked the Purolator Classic and P1 filters, along with Bosch Premium as well ... and if there had been no tearing issue, I would still be using their filters today. Purolator P1 / Bosch Premium used to be my favorite filters.

The filter was run to the factory recommended OCI per the OLM light. A little bit before, actually. The maintenance wrench wasn't staying lit the entire time as it had not hit 0% yet. I've had these tear in less than 5k miles before. I used to love these filters. Heck, I have a Purolator shirt and 2 hats! I only buy them now if I find them dirt cheap on clearance. I don't really trust them past 3k, but they should be able to handle more without tearing... pretty sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back