Which car for sales rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Prius V

unsafe golf cart

If cost is such an issue, maybe he should consider a change of career
21.gif

the more i think about this, get a new job. heck if i would enjoy driving 200 miles a day, let alone my daily work commute.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Prius V

unsafe golf cart

21.gif

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/prius-v-4-door-wagon/2016

Car is now part of his job's cost. Cut cost, take home more pay. He could actually "make" more money with this new system and a Prius vs the old system and paid for company car.

That. My father in law does not WANT a company car...because he makes more on the mileage reimbursement. His Mirage gets 40+MPG; before getting that, he drove an old Jetta that frequently topped 50 and touched 60 a couple times. He figures that he was pocketing more than half the mileage pay with the Jetta, and will be close to that with the Mirage.

Prius V

unsafe golf cart

21.gif

Prius V? The Prius C is the the small one (Yaris hybrid in Europe)

Prius V is a station wagon.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Prius V

unsafe golf cart

21.gif

Prius V? The Prius C is the the small one (Yaris hybrid in Europe)

Prius V is a station wagon.

I have a Prius v and a 2016 Impala in my garage. I've driven both on long trips. The Prius is averaging a little of 40 mpg; the Impala 27 mpg. The Prius v is comfortable but the harsh ride and road noise make it much unpleasant after driving a few hours. If $ is the highest priority; go with the Prius v. Otherwise, a full size car like an Impala or Avalon will make your life better.

Where was the cost/mile reimbursement? For me, that would be the key factor.

Most of my fleet is running between 35-45 cents per mile but I have an economy of scale (larger fleet) issue running in my favor. A big part of my equation would be if you want to trade-in the car every so often. Trading in is about the % and total loss. A vehicle with high-resale at $25K might lose you more money than worse resale value car at $15K purchase price. Will help the bottom line help if you need to "update" frequently? Maybe but no guarantee. VW TDI used to have good resale values... Going after resale only works at the larger scale... and hurts more if buying used. If you are running this through 500K+ and willing to replace everything, then this is a non-issue, grab the lowest cost non-lemon. Does the rep need "curb appeal (prestige factor)?"

If you need basic transportation: Ford Focus. You can get a NEW Focus (auto) for $14K maybe less if you can find the stick. At 27/40, the hybrid (at $25K) is not going to catch that car with current prices (unless it is all City driving). No better deal out there right now and it is decently reliable without commanding a premium. It is moderately comfortable (aka will not kill you but is not a cloud either).

If you are needing semi-prestige, find a Titanium Ford or Lincoln. Some Lincoln models are slow sellers so they will be willing to discount. Buick might be another place to look. Just find a car that has sat around the lot for a while and see if the dealer is willing to cut you a break.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Where was the cost/mile reimbursement? For me, that would be the key factor.

Most of my fleet is running between 35-45 cents per mile but I have an economy of scale (larger fleet) issue running in my favor. A big part of my equation would be if you want to trade-in the car every so often. Trading in is about the % and total loss. A vehicle with high-resale at $25K might lose you more money than worse resale value car at $15K purchase price. Will help the bottom line help if you need to "update" frequently? Maybe but no guarantee. VW TDI used to have good resale values... Going after resale only works at the larger scale... and hurts more if buying used. If you are running this through 500K+ and willing to replace everything, then this is a non-issue, grab the lowest cost non-lemon. Does the rep need "curb appeal (prestige factor)?"

If you need basic transportation: Ford Focus. You can get a NEW Focus (auto) for $14K maybe less if you can find the stick. At 27/40, the hybrid (at $25K) is not going to catch that car with current prices (unless it is all City driving). No better deal out there right now and it is decently reliable without commanding a premium. It is moderately comfortable (aka will not kill you but is not a cloud either).

If you are needing semi-prestige, find a Titanium Ford or Lincoln. Some Lincoln models are slow sellers so they will be willing to discount. Buick might be another place to look. Just find a car that has sat around the lot for a while and see if the dealer is willing to cut you a break.

May I also trow in there a Lincoln Hybrid? MKZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back