adjusting stihl 100rx trimmer carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I bought this trimmer brand new and noticed that on really hot days after the motor got good and hot from running 20 minutes the trimmer would lose power and didn't have any balls at all, so I was thinking it was probably set too lean. It was also really hard to control the throttle and the off idle acceleration was a bit boggy. Basically I re adjusted the carb so their was no bogging at all. I discovered the hi speed screw took about 3 turns to get it to lean out and lose rpm. Then after that I backed off until it ran the highest rpm and then I turned it about another 3/4 turn out or so. It basically runs like a champ now, but looking at a few manuals, it appears that 3 turns out is the factory setting. Well this thing burns a ton of fuel running that far out and has no power. The way I have it set now, which I basically just set it by ear is has good power, lots of low end torque and good fuel economy. My concern is how do I know when it's running too lean on the hi side? I've heard they will lose power like I described when hot, so I assume as long as it has good consistent power then it's ok? I did back it off about 1 full turn from when I leaned it out, so it shouldn't be too lean right? Is the factory setting just a starting point, then you make adjustments from there? I'm happy with how I have it tuned now, but I just want to make sure I'm not harming the engine.

I have a husqvarna that was doing similar to yours..i played with the air/fuel screws a few times but found that mine likes 93 octane and 40:1 or so with good quality oil (Echo,Husqvarna, Stihl oils). to run good and hard with no complaining.

If i run 87octane or old fuel its boggy and less power.

Yeah they don't like 87. I always used 89 or 93. I was initially going to just set the high speed screw in between rich and lean, but even turning it more than 3 turns out, the trimmer didn't change in rpm and I didn't want the screw to come out of the carb. lol

I run a bit more oil .I cut 3 acres of hillside each spring for a fire break.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I run a bit more oil .I cut 3 acres of hillside each spring for a fire break.

How do I know if it's running lean though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back