oil for my 2015 Ford 6.7 diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Gosh, so an oil change at the Ford dealer would probably be at least $75? Since the oil change coupons say up to 5 quarts. The Ford dealer here charges $25 for an oil change. I would have guessed 8 quarts so I was way off. But I'm sure it's easier to do a longer oci like you used to do on your previous truck. But that prob had a much smaller oil capacity.

I got a "coupon" today from my Ford dealer. $239.95 gets an oil change (non synthetic) filter, check the lights fluids brakes and tire rotation. I can do all that myself and use 5w-40 synthetic for about $85. No thank you Ford.

Wow. Did that include the fuel filters as well. I recall getting a coupon for around that price including the fuel filters.

So how lon before OLM says to change. I am driving about 70 minutes to work. 60 of which is highway. Do the 2015 have any fuel dillution issues due to all the emissions stuff?

I will be posting soon the UOA from my 2015 F250 PSD; oil changed due to OLM indicating time to change oil at about 7110 miles (I think it was). 6400 of that was towing a 10,000lb 5th wheel trailer, at times in 110 degree ambient temperature, with Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Thanks 2015_PSD. Appreciate the info on your oil results. Been using Archoil 6200 fuel additive myself. Just got back from a 600+ mile trip and never saw my oil temp above 239 (fan turned on)...that is with towing a 6,000 ilb car behind as well. Take care.

Wow you're seeing that high of oil temps with the new 6.7 and supposed "fixed" oil cooler issues? I start getting worried if the oil temp in my 05 6.0 gets much over 230* F...

Thanks 2015_PSD. Appreciate the info on your oil results. Been using Archoil 6200 fuel additive myself. Just got back from a 600+ mile trip and never saw my oil temp above 239 (fan turned on)...that is with towing a 6,000 ilb car behind as well. Take care.

Are you claiming a connection between the use of Archoil 6200 fuel additive and your indicated oil temperature?

kschachn,

No, I don't believe that would make a difference. I included the temp as a separate fact (not meant to imply fuel additive did anything). Thanks.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Wow you're seeing that high of oil temps with the new 6.7 and supposed "fixed" oil cooler issues? I start getting worried if the oil temp in my 05 6.0 gets much over 230* F...
Though I was initially concerned when I saw 249°F peak temperatures in my 2015 in 115°F+ desert heat in the mountains, the UOA came back normal. I would be worried with a 6.doh or 6.4 as well, not so much with a 6.7--totally different animal.

racin4ds,

I track it on my Scanguage II...I believe I have seen highs at 239-240*F. Seems to be experienced by others on here as well...I hope and pray that is normal?

Best,

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Though I was initially concerned when I saw 249°F peak temperatures in my 2015 in 115°F+ desert heat in the mountains, the UOA came back normal. I would be worried with a 6.doh or 6.4 as well, not so much with a 6.7--totally different animal.

But oil temps are oil temps!! How can it matter in one engine and not in the other!! They are both still very similar engines... If you're seeing 249°F regularly that tells me Ford still has efficiency issues with their diesels and oil coolers.

racin4ds,

I track it on my Scanguage II...I believe I have seen highs at 239-240*F. Seems to be experienced by others on here as well...I hope and pray that is normal?

Best,

It seems to be. It just baffles me as us guys with the older 6.0 PSD are told so adamantly to watch that "Delta" and don't let oil temps get over 230-240 max or you have problems!! Yet the new trucks run this temp as a norm?

My 05 is running the stock oil cooler (been flushed and filled with Rotella EC-1 spec HD diesel coolant) with an EGR delete. I believe my coolant system is in top condition and I see 25° deltas regularly and oil temps as high as 225°F-230°F Max.

I agree. Perhaps improvements in materials allows for hotter temps? Or engine has to run at these temps to meet emissions (EGR)? Obviously, I agree lower engine temps are better irrespective of what materials are used in the engine. I'm sure there are engineering and emissions reasons for the relative temperature increases.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
But oil temps are oil temps!! How can it matter in one engine and not in the other!! They are both still very similar engines... If you're seeing 249°F regularly that tells me Ford still has efficiency issues with their diesels and oil coolers.
A 6.4L is nothing like a 6.7L--completely different design. My normal operating temps are 200°F - 205°F. Under the operating conditions that I had when I saw 249°F (115°F++, in the mountains, and pushing it), I am confident any other engine would have responded in the same way.

I had two 6.0's and currently a '15 6.7, the engines other that burning diesel fuel have nothing in common. The wave of the future is here with all modern engines running much higher temps than previous generations. The oil temps posted by 2015 PSD are well within Ford specs, if you are seeing 25F delta on a 6.0 you have major issues heading your way, but remember the delta test has to be performed at 60 mph on relatively flat roads unloaded on a 6.0. If any of the listed are changed then the test doesn't apply.

I currently have 41,500 mi. on my 6.7, it has to be the most complete package I have owned to date. Ford engineers took all of the short-comings of the 6.0/6.4 and has over-killed them into a working beast. I have not heard of any oil cooler/egr cooler issues with the 6.7 platform, and it has been out since 2011.

CJ-4 spec lube has no issue with handling temps seen with the 6.7 as engineers aren't going to spec an oil temp that an oil can't handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back