Chalky White Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
My now teenaged Toyota truck has chalky white paint after years of sun and neglect. I had it buffed out by a detailer once before and it looked surprisingly good, but it needs to be done again. He told me toyota mixed the clear coat in the paint on the white ones. I have a 10" craftsman buffer, barely used. What kind of polish do I need to get some shine back to this truck? It doesnt have to be perfect, and I may do it one section at a time as time allows, but I'd like to restore it a bit. Will my buffer work ok or should I get a cheap angle buffer at HF? THANKS!

Those 10" Craftsman buffers are basically just a wax spreader. You can pick up a dual action at HF and then some Meguiars compound if you want to shop locally. They're tons of options if you internet order though.

You'd be better off with a random orbital sander. That's what I've used. I also use "Lake Country" polishing pads to spread and work 3M Swirl Mark Remover. With that combination you can do a beautiful job.

White paint from Toyota (and others) back then was single stage, there was no clear at all. Some new Toyotas still use this.

Your 10" buffer will not even touch the oxidation. You will need a real machine polisher, the correct pads, compound, and perhaps polish to do the job. Then a sealant or coating will be required.

If the oxidation is that heavy, you will need a DA polisher (HF makes a somewhat decent one) and a heavier compound and pads to remove the oxidation. Look into Meguiars' DA Microfiber system - it works fairly well for beginners who are using DA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back