How to make asphalt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want the typical driveway stuff. I bet they would not even come out for $120 US.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I don't want the typical driveway stuff. I bet they would not even come out for $120 US.

That's self-delivered in a trailer.

Grade 10 (highway stuff) is like, $200 a ton.

I can get up to seven tons delivered for around $100... LOTS of small contractors looking to deliver with their dump trailers.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

That's self-delivered in a trailer.

Grade 10 (highway stuff) is like, $200 a ton.

I can get up to seven tons delivered for around $100... LOTS of small contractors looking to deliver with their dump trailers.
That's just great. Come on over and give me an estimate on my whole drive.

Almost done. Have to leave me an area that I can drive through until the right half I did today sets up.

For the record when I say asphalt I am not talking blacktop. And around here before they lay new tar and chips over a gravel road they spray oil, same for blacktop.

If you don't know the difference between an Asphalt Emulsion and used oil, I'd suggest you stop dumping the used oil on the ground and educate yourself.

There is a significant difference and use of used oil is not allowed for dust control or particle adhesion. We use different types of added polymers and emulsions to achieve the correct mixture in an Asphalt Emulsion, which is what is applied as what you refer to as "spray oil".

Petroleum based, yes. Used oil, no.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
If you don't know the difference between an Asphalt Emulsion and used oil, I'd suggest you stop dumping the used oil on the ground and educate yourself.

There is a significant difference and use of used oil is not allowed for dust control or particle adhesion. We use different types of added polymers and emulsions to achieve the correct mixture in an Asphalt Emulsion, which is what is applied as what you refer to as "spray oil".

Petroleum based, yes. Used oil, no.

I use about a gallon of used oil. It's a great primer. Also good for cleaning the applicator brush I am using. The oil isn't going anywhere once the layer of tar is on top of it. This really is how they do the roads around me.

Also checked online at a local blacktop plant. It figured out to 2.7 tons needed for 2" depth.

If a used oil collector applied used oil to a gravel road around here, the fines for improper disposal would be tremendous. Its only part of what I do for a living, but what do I know...

I'll state it again. The Spray oil you referred to is not used oil. It is an asphalt emulsion, and it is used on any kind of chip seal type paving including gravel surfaces. Cutback asphalt also used to be used (asphalt cut with gasoline or kerosene), but is largely no longer used.

Stop dumping used oil on the ground.

I'm done trying to help.

This really is how they do the roads around me.

You know FOR A FACT, that they prime it with used engine oil ?

Or you just worked out that it's black, and came out of the ground once ?

I don't see much difference what kind of oil is used. It's locked in placed and sealed. Should I have used new engine oil???????

Which part of the fact that the DOT is not using MOTOR OIL (used or new) on the road surface do you not understand?
It pollutes the ground water supply.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Which part of the fact that the DOT is not using MOTOR OIL (used or new) on the road surface do you not understand?

BC.
It is going on top of an impervious layer. Can't you understand that?

BC.

Your claim is that you are making asphalt..the same as the road gangs, while bodging together used engine oil, in a manner that's illegal in just about every first world location...simply because it's cheaper than doing it properly...can't you understand that ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

BC.

Your claim is that you are making asphalt..the same as the road gangs, while bodging together used engine oil, in a manner that's illegal in just about every first world location...simply because it's cheaper than doing it properly...can't you understand that ?
I'm not making asphalt. Did you not read my post? I bought asphalt that was thinned down with a solvent.

As soon as you show me the impervious layer that you are pouring your motor oil onto, I will concede this point.
As of right now, you haven't poured motor oil onto anything that it is not eventually going to leach out into the ground, after a short while.

BC.

As soon as you show me the impervious layer that you are pouring your motor oil onto, I will concede this point.
As of right now, you haven't poured motor oil onto anything that it is not eventually going to leach out into the ground, after a short while.

BC.
Come on over, we can take some core samples.....

http://www.ecarcenter.org/il/il-usedoil.htm

Quote:
Restrictions on Used Oil Disposal/Management

Do not discharge used oil to sewers, drainage ditches, septic tanks, or streams.
Do not dispose of used oil in landfills or mix used oil with wastes that will be disposed of in landfills (include individual state regulation link)
Do not mix used oil with gasoline or cleaning solvents. The resulting mixture may be a hazardous waste. This classification brings into effect a lot of additional regulations.
Do not use used oil for road oiling, dust control, weed control or for similar purposes.

I find it laughable that someone who is so concerned about the environmental performance of others (coal and nukes), to save a couple of bucks does something so blatantly unacceptable...then tries to justify it as "proper".

Again, do you have proof that what the road gangs are spraying is engine oil...used OR new ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
This really is how they do the roads around me.

You know FOR A FACT, that they prime it with used engine oil ?

Or you just worked out that it's black, and came out of the ground once ?

You stated that THIS is how they do it ....

They use oil on gravel or dirt and let it soak a day or overnight. Then they spray hot tar and cover that with gravel. That is how they do it. I did not say they used used engine oil. But I did use a gallon on my driveway and then covered that with tar and gravel. Just how is that oil going anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back