Am I crazy? Type of tire chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just moved to an area where if I want to go skiing or drive out of the city in the winter I need to at LEAST carry winter chains with me, if not put them on the wheels during storms. I will be using winter tires...

Now I SWEAR I remember some company advertising something new they called chains I believe. It kind of wrapped around the tire as a belt, and putting it on involved rolling the car forward slightly. Rather than the regular chains criss-crossing, it was mainly a wide belt with I believe metal teeth or something for traction.

Am I crazy, or did I just see some obscure product that never made it to production?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I have always used textile chains.

They work well, and don't beat your suspension to [censored].

ISSE Snow Socks
Amazing. I remember in the 1970's when I owned my own semi truck the chains weighed more than I did.

Do those really work though? They can't have that much bite, and I'm guessing any tiny crevices for traction would quickly fill in with ice and be worse than a snow tire.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Do those really work though? They can't have that much bite, and I'm guessing any tiny crevices for traction would quickly fill in with ice and be worse than a snow tire.

They got me all up, down, and over the Alps in a 1986 Cabriolet. The next year I got a set for my 7er and they worked great on that as well.

Even with wither tires, there are sections of road during winter there that REQUIRE snow chains, and these worked great.

That's just something I'd have to see demonstrated before I buy it. If it worked for you, great. But to me common sense seems to suggest it can't really work that well.

Here you don't need chains if you have winter certified tires. You must live in a place that warrants winter tires. here the winters stay on longer than the summer tires. couldn't you just buy winter tires? or is chains mandatory no matter what?

Last edited:
I have winter tires... but even AWD/4WD vehicles are required to carry chains within the vehicle in snow zones.

I think that's how they work. Snow sticks to snow, creating traction.

That's just something I'd have to see demonstrated before I buy it. If it worked for you, great. But to me common sense seems to suggest it can't really work that well.

Your common sense generator must be operating at a reduced capacity. They do work - I've owned them.

And there's plenty of other evidence if you care to look for it. (YouTube)

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Your common sense generator must be operating at a reduced capacity. They do work - I've owned them.

And there's plenty of other evidence if you care to look for it. (YouTube)

Thank you, I was going to say the same. Common sense varies from person to person. Don't let your's get in the way.

Well I just moved to an area where if I want to go skiing or drive out of the city in the winter I need to at LEAST carry winter chains with me, if not put them on the wheels during storms. I will be using winter tires...

Now I SWEAR I remember some company advertising something new they called chains I believe. It kind of wrapped around the tire as a belt, and putting it on involved rolling the car forward slightly. Rather than the regular chains criss-crossing, it was mainly a wide belt with I believe metal teeth or something for traction.

Am I crazy, or did I just see some obscure product that never made it to production?

they make them.

Try SCC cable chains.
http://www.vulcantire.com/chainsgz_c.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back