Any UOAs from an OCI with a filter tear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, media doesn't tear 100% cleanly. There will at a minimum be some fibers breaking away from the fringed edges of the media. Doesn't mean a larger chunk couldn't also eventually break off and go into the engine. Not a risk I really want to take over a long OCI.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
^^^^^^ ZeeOSix - I will choose filters that do not tear. I will avoid filters that tear. Simple.

Yep ... the most simple decision in the world.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Which do you want in a filter - regardless if it's oil, air, fuel, etc. This is a pretty simple question.
grin.gif

1) Tears in the filter media

or

2) No tears in the filter media.

Number 2, which is the whole topic. No Torn Anything. Don't Buy It.

a torn filter lets dirt go directly to your bearings... Its bad ..Period buy a filter that has known quality and stay away from junky filters.

I'm all for perfectly designed and perfectly manufactured oil filters.

Let's start a list of them here:

1)

2)

3)

Having trouble coming up with any. Most filters have an occasional problem with twisted media, sparse pleats, wrinkled cardboard endcaps, glue issues, bad ADBV's, poorly functioning bypass valves, media tearing away from the endcaps, thin, easily crushed cans, out of specification measurements, etc.

We've seen them all right here on BITOG.

Interesting responses. With all the UOAs posted here, and all the complaints about failed filters, I was pretty sure that I’d get something connecting poor wear results on a UOA, with a filter failure.

Much of page 2 here has been dedicated to people simply stating that a torn filter is worse than one that isn’t torn. I'm not sure if the purpose of this thread was misunderstood--I don't think anyone argued for the contrary. I think we can all agree on that point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Most filters have an occasional problem ...

True, but here is a huge difference between occasional and chronic. We all know which brand has lately fit the chronic category.

Most filters have an occasional problem with twisted media, sparse pleats, wrinkled cardboard endcaps, glue issues, bad ADBV's, poorly functioning bypass valves, media tearing away from the endcaps, thin, easily crushed cans, out of specification measurements, etc.

Absolutely. However, one particular brand decided to take a few of these problems, combine them into one filter, and make it something more than "occasional."

I'm all for perfectly designed and perfectly manufactured oil filters.

Let's start a list of them here:

1) Toyota OEM

2) Honda OEM (A01)

3) Hengst (BMW OEM)

Having trouble coming up with any. Most filters have an occasional problem with twisted media, sparse pleats, wrinkled cardboard endcaps, glue issues, bad ADBV's, poorly functioning bypass valves, media tearing away from the endcaps, thin, easily crushed cans, out of specification measurements, etc.

We've seen them all right here on BITOG.

OK, I'll bite. I listed three above (all of which I use) that I don't think I've ever seen the issues you list here on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back