Purolator ADBV tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are seeing some of the new Purolators tearing the Antidrainback valves. These tears are pretty small, but my question is are these tears/cuts enough to cause the ADBV to not function correctly or would these still seal fine?

Are you guys starting your cars at 30 below and revving them to 4000 RPM in one minute?

Maybe its new ester tech that's not compatible.

Better use only Si rubber for now with the oil changing.

I guess the answer is if you don't have one installed on your car use something else known to be better because its not worth the risk and price really isn't a concern.

If you have a bunch stockpiled away sell them on Ebay as I'm sure there are fans of them that think its all bunk anyways

It doesn't matter whether it effects the function or not, it's the whole principle behind it. These guys are so focussed on maximum profit, they even skip a very simple production step like deburring the holes. On an automated production platform, a machine could deburr the inlet holes in a couple of seconds or less.

First and foremost, torn/cut adbvs are not acceptable. The cause needs to be fixed, it seems to be rough/sharp edge inlet holes.

That said, if one is not getting a noticeable start up rattle with said filters, then functionally it makes no significant difference.

And even if one does get a start up rattle, hardly a death knell for the engine. More an irritation to the owner, sometimes even happens with no observable cause, or a worn out or compromised nitrile adbv.

Again though, doesn't make torn/cut adbvs acceptable.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Are you guys starting your cars at 30 below and revving them to 4000 RPM in one minute?

Maybe its new ester tech that's not compatible.

Better use only Si rubber for now with the oil changing.

confused.gif

Purolator Boss still advertises Silicone (not silicon - Si) ADBV's.

http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/purolatorbosstm/

What ester are you talking about here?

I have no interest in using them in any event.

Most filters are mounted with the open end up against the engine, rather then upside down, this means the ADBV never needs to do anything anyway. The filter is always still full at engine start up!

No prob!!

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
Most filters are mounted with the open end up against the engine, rather then upside down, this means the ADBV never needs to do anything anyway. The filter is always still full at engine start up!

No prob!!

Not always true ... it's been discussed many times how the ADBV can still be important on a filter mounted base up.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Purolator Boss still advertises Silicone (not silicon - Si) ADBV's.

Maybe they should use silicon ADBVs. Not only will they not be easily cut, they'll have the brittleness to match the media. Yep, that was a cheap shot.
wink.gif

So you hate auto fraud but filter fraud doesn't bother you?

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

No prob!!

I look at it as just another reason not to use Purolator filters. It's very easy not to use them. Factor in QC, torn media, and now this, no thanks! There are better filters for the same money, and in some instances less money. It's a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back