2016 Jetta 1.8T Sport vs 2016 Golf TSI S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think the Charger has a better ride on the highway as mentioned. Plus having more metal around you in a crash would likely help. With all the driving you do it much more likely that you're involved in one. When I was a taxi driver in college they told us it's not "if" we get in an accident but "when" we get in one.

You may want to take a Passat on the hwy for a test drive. They're not much more expensive.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

I think he is right. Autobarn City VW has a 1.8T Sport for around $16,800 (MSRP around $22K).

http://www.cityvwchicago.net/new/Volkswa...189599c2033.htm

I see. Although that's a manual. They don't seem to have the same kind of deals on automatics.

Definitely not as good but still within the ballpark of his $18.8 claim (keep in mind Automatics msrp for about $1k more)

http://www.highlandvw.com/new-volkswagen-jetta-sedan-highland-in?_gmod[]=Dfe_Modules_VehiclePrice_Module&direction=asc&t=n&make[]=Volkswagen&model[]=Jetta%20Sedan&trim[]=1.8T%20Sport&sf=sf_trim

http://www.hawkvw.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Volkswagen

http://www.elginvw.com/new-volkswagen-jetta-elgin-il?_gmod[]=Dfe_Modules_VehiclePrice_Module&direction=asc&t=n&make[]=Volkswagen&model[]=Jetta&trim[]=1.8T%20Sport&sf=sf_trim

The deals are absolutely ridiculous right now. You can even get a Passat SE, which is pretty loaded with all kinds of upgraded tech and driver assist technology for like $21.5.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Dang! All of a sudden getting that $35K Fusion Sport does not sound like a good deal at all.

I know, right?

G0d bless the diesel scandal.

The Golf is the best right platform VW has right now. That doesn't make the Jetta 1.8t Sport bad or anything. I love my Golf Sportwagen. Its so nice to have the space to haul things, often i never expect to need to, but i can fold the seats down and it happens. I found some 8' wide rugs on clearance, they fit in there! The car fills many roles at a low price.

Just got back into town and see a lot of informative posts!

I'll try to touch on some of them.

Charger is a great car. Just too big for what I need right now. It's a pain to park and it's tough to transport anything as the roof line is real low trying to fit something in the backseat. The trunk is spacious but shallow. And lets just say at 48k the Dodge quality or longevity is starting to show a bit?

I'm not upside down in the car at all, I'll probably walk away with 2-3 grand in equity

Tires are a 1000 dollar item at minimum (20")

I haven't seen any deals like the Chicago area deals in NH. Best I have been quoted so far is 19.3 for the Golf and 18.8 for the Jetta. The Jetta does come with a lot more bells and whistles as mentioned such as the push button start, heated seats, fog lights etc I don't know how much more lower they would go off those prices. I try to use carsdirect.com as a barometer on pricing to get a feel on a good deal. Are there other places should look to see what the best deals on these cars right now?

I'm probably calling the kettle black harping on Dodge longevity vs VW though? lol

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I'm probably calling the kettle black harping on Dodge longevity vs VW though? lol

No, VW is not great but Dodge is considerably worse. Both fail in different ways.

Chrysler tends to get the overall engineering concept "right" and then those engineers are overruled by the accountants. You see where they cut corners on trim, misc items, any small things that if made properly would not cause a massive failure. So the powertrain save for a waterpump or EGR here or there is fine if you are willing to replace it. However, it seems like there is always something that is similar to using a welded plastic bit to house the thermostat... which failed, that causes the epic Chrysler failure. Then everything else falls apart (interior trim, etc). So, you can tell where Chrysler spent their money and then cheaped out with horrific plastics etc. VW tends to get the "touch" items correct, much of the engineering items are ok but makes a mess with the electronics or odd engineering failures (GDi anyone?). So they spend their money on the "plastic" and then try goofy engineering short-cuts or manufacturing ease and reliability is all over the place. Neither brand ages well... consider that.

I haven't seen any deals like the Chicago area deals in NH. Best I have been quoted so far is 19.3 for the Golf and 18.8 for the Jetta. The Jetta does come with a lot more bells and whistles as mentioned such as the push button start, heated seats, fog lights etc I don't know how much more lower they would go off those prices. I try to use carsdirect.com as a barometer on pricing to get a feel on a good deal. Are there other places should look to see what the best deals on these cars right now?

VW dealers anywhere are desperate for any reasonable deal on any cars they have in their lot, VW sale was/is down substantial the last several months since diesel scandal broke out last year.

If I was you I would email all VW dealers within driving distance of 30-50 miles with 1 email so that they know they need to compete with other dealers for your business. Get the lowest price then forward that email to the dealer you like to have your car service asking for price match.

It is good time to buy a VW vehicle now, you should get the most discount from MSRP compares with other makes.

19.3 for the Golf and 18.8 for a Jetta sport automatic are fairly reasonable deals. Those are only a few hundred worse than the Chicago deals. You can probably go lower if you play hardball but then you'll have to watch out for hidden fees, add-ons, and other weasel-like b.s.

as many miles as you drive, why not spend a couple more hours in the car and get https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/671131324/overview/ a real deal?

1.4T for hwy mpg and a dirt cheap price.

Otherwise, at 30k per year a Prius is an obvious choice! But no where near the Golf driving enjoyment.

Golf options:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/645542608/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/668723383/overview/

Tell your local dealer how willing you are to drive for a better price and maybe they'll come down? You should get ~$5k off MSRP fairly easily.

Look into the $500 partnership discount also - thread on vwvortex on it. This should stack on the lowest price you get - not invoice, as it says.

wow incredible deal on the 1.4T. I bet the dealer fees are hefty. Probably doesn't include destination either - if it did, I'd be shocked and would seriously buy a one way ticket to pick it up.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
as many miles as you drive, why not spend a couple more hours in the car and get https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/671131324/overview/ a real deal?

1.4T for hwy mpg and a dirt cheap price.

Otherwise, at 30k per year a Prius is an obvious choice! But no where near the Golf driving enjoyment.

Golf options:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/645542608/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/668723383/overview/

Tell your local dealer how willing you are to drive for a better price and maybe they'll come down? You should get ~$5k off MSRP fairly easily.

Look into the $500 partnership discount also - thread on vwvortex on it. This should stack on the lowest price you get - not invoice, as it says.

Wowzer, $12k? I had seen $14.5k (or so) listed but $12k is crazy.

A quick look show a $599 documentation fee, and a blurb about how how one has to qualify for all rebates.

Also excludes a destination fee which can be around $800 and includes all applicable incentives and rebates - there is a $500 is a college graduate bonus which many people will not qualify for so. We most people probably should add another $1300 minimum to the listed price. The deal looks less sweet now.

For looks and feature content I'd favor the Jetta, plus if they're predominantly highway miles you'll be doing, a bit of extra chassis refinement in the Golf probably won't be missed. Unless the Golf was in GTI trim, that would change everything.

Shame about the new Civic, it's kicking butt and is top-of-class right now.

Just got back into town and see a lot of informative posts!

I'll try to touch on some of them.

Charger is a great car. Just too big for what I need right now. It's a pain to park and it's tough to transport anything as the roof line is real low trying to fit something in the backseat. The trunk is spacious but shallow. And lets just say at 48k the Dodge quality or longevity is starting to show a bit?

I'm not upside down in the car at all, I'll probably walk away with 2-3 grand in equity

Tires are a 1000 dollar item at minimum (20")

Golf all the way. Partially because I just bought a MK7 GTI.

The MQB platform is incredible. This car is way more solid than it should be. I have no issues with ride quality, and already have 2200 miles on the car (I bought it 7 weeks ago). I seriously considered the Charger and had a 2015 8 speed auto SXT Charger rental for 8 days that "almost" sold me on the Charger. Then I drove the GTI and was totally blown away, 5 minutes into the test drive told the salesman what I needed for an out the door price (during the test drive) and bought the car.

Everything about the MQB has a high quality feel. At speed the car is rock solid. It feels like an Audi.

It's also WAY smaller than a Charger. It's noticeably smaller than my 2nd gen 2012 Mazda6, super easy to park, very easy to maneuver in traffic, little in the way of blind spots, and overall very comfortable to be in. The hatchback configuration is quite versatile as well. The car itself is a top safety pick.

In my GTI I am averaging 29mpg running 93 octane, in a mix of city and hwy driving. A Golf TSI will get better fuel econ.

Honestly, I had full intention on buying either a Charger R/T, BMW 535, or a MB E-350. I never, ever, EVER, had planned on buying a compact, FWD, 2.0L turbo, hatchback. Ever. And yet, I did, and I couldn't be happier.

I'll try and answer any other questions you might have.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Also excludes a destination fee which can be around $800 and includes all applicable incentives and rebates - there is a $500 is a college graduate bonus which many people will not qualify for so. We most people probably should add another $1300 minimum to the listed price. The deal looks less sweet now.

True. That and the fact that it's a VW will keep me away.

But it'd still be a good deal at $15k. Just not as good.

I inquired at the Autobarn in Chicago about the OTD price on a 2016 Jetta Sport Automatic. The replied saying no OTD price until a credit check is run....seriously? I guess I'm not up to speed on how things are done in Chicago but obviously there is some sort of problem lol. This place screams shysters.

Thanks but no thanks...I may look at the Golf today or tomorrow...maybe last day of the month they move some more if I like it. The Golf does come with 0% financing I believe as well.

Not sure they will come farther down on the 19.3K price. Thats about 4K off MSRP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back