Anyone install an alarm keypad??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a pretty new house that was prewired for an alarm system when we bought it. It was actually working when we bought the house but we declined to continue the service(we have two large dogs).

I would like to just buy an new keypad and hook it up so we can get the beep, beep, beep, when a door or window is opened.

I have an elderly father in law that visits with dementia that tends to open doors and go outside if not watched constantly. Also young nephews that tend to go outside often.

I've seen these keypads on Amazon for like $60 which is not bad just don't know if hooking it up is a major job. Tom

I have simplisafe and it works great. All wireless. I can get text notifications whenever a door or window is opened.

I'm not sure if simplisafe is an alarm company or just the unit. Not looking to sign up with an alarm company. Just have the beeping sound when a door or window is opened.

It depends on what is there and what isn't there. If all of the sensors are there and the main alarm system box is there, then it shouldn't be hard to replace the keypad-the most difficult part would be programming it.

If there is no keypad and other system components are missing, and you only need it to know when doors are opened, I'd just get a wireless door alarm for each door.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It depends on what is there and what isn't there. If all of the sensors are there and the main alarm system box is there, then it shouldn't be hard to replace the keypad-the most difficult part would be programming it.

If there is no keypad and other system components are missing, and you only need it to know when doors are opened, I'd just get a wireless door alarm for each door.

I don't believe any components are missing except for the keypad.

There is a large cabinet in the master bedroom closet that I believe has the "brains" of the system in it.

Simplisafe will beep when you're not subscribed to a monthly service. A beeping door tone might not be what you're looking for. The Piper security device seems like it may be a better option for you since it has a camera, alarm, motion sensor etc...instead of just a beep going off. The Piper is an all in one device.

I installed my wired Honeywell system from scratch in my current house and just adding a keypad may or may not work depending on the system and how it was programmed. The system programming is NOT intuitive and requires careful study of the manual which is also written for an experienced installer. If you buy a keypad get one with the Alphanumeric display, this will allow you to program it from the keypad. The fixed character displays do not allow programming of the system. If you want inexpensive monitoring that does not require a contract check out www.nextalarm.com I have been using them for the last decade.

Use the system like you always did. If it's tied to the phone line ,disconnect that. It will just be a noise maker at that point, but will probably scare off anyone breaking in. It just won't call the central station or Police.,,,

Originally Posted By: daddi
Have a pretty new house that was prewired for an alarm system when we bought it. It was actually working when we bought the house but we declined to continue the service(we have two large dogs).

I would like to just buy an new keypad and hook it up so we can get the beep, beep, beep, when a door or window is opened.

I have an elderly father in law that visits with dementia that tends to open doors and go outside if not watched constantly. Also young nephews that tend to go outside often.

I've seen these keypads on Amazon for like $60 which is not bad just don't know if hooking it up is a major job. Tom

It depends on what was done to the system when the keypad was removed. Im curious as to why you let someone into your home to remove it or was it taken out before the closing?
Im assuming there is a hole in the wall where the keypad used to be, if so there are 4 wires, black, white, yellow and green. The thing is being inexperienced it would be hit or miss at best if you could simply hook up a new keypad.
Example, there could be a mix of wireless and hardwire devices in the home, if so, then the keypad that was there may very well have had a radio unit in it, programmed with those wireless devices or if you see 2 white thin wire antennas poking out of the top of the box in your closet, the radio unit would be in there.

There are a lot of variables, you can get an experienced alarm tech to set it up for you unmonitored, heck, its also easy to hook up to the siren, if its not already, so you would be able to arm and disarm and have the siren go off and depending on the system, if he/she is really good, can program it to call your cell phone if the alarm goes off without paying for monitoring.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!! Yes the keypad was removed before closing. Just a wall plate now where the keypad was. They also took down the motion sensor in living room. May check out the cabinet area in closet today. tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back