Looking for a HM additive (1/2 qt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schaeffer's #132 would be a good HM additive. Once highly regarded on Bitog, and a good product.

Originally Posted By: Piston_slap
I'm surprised no one mentioned my favorite, "MotorMud". This old standby has remained true to the original formulation established in 1951 at the research division of Hughes Aviation. Use of this package in a fleet of 1952 Dodge Police Pursuit vehicles allowed Dodge to offer a Lifetime Warranty on the power train. Abuse was rampant with NYC officers. Air filters were removed, carburetors were set up extremely rich, a 20% ratio by weight of kerosene comprised the fuel mixture. Even with this amount of abuse, tear downs at 385,000 and 750,000 miles showed no measurable wear on bearings, pistons or parts that wiggle. A "self formed" windage tray made from MotorMud was observed in the oil pan! Truly amazing, speed parts created from a OTC product in a bottle. Unfortunately, very little hard copy documentation is left. The United States Air Force confiscated all documents. There were rumors of extraterrestrial connections with the proprietary ingredients. (It used special water that had no Hydrogen component) A well known California Private Detective was found dead at a hourly motel in 1953. He had the matching half of the torn MDS sheet, linking the ingredients to the Milky Way. It was said that if you cold started and floored the accelerator, a voice in the mufflers would say... "Klaatu barada nikto to all".

That was funny!
laugh.gif

Interesting since I have just started my trial with LG Biotech with cheap thin 5w40 oil, I will confirm again after 1000 km, but so far after 600 km it seems the combo reduce the oil consumption compared with PU 5w40+Rislone High Mileage or M1 HM10w40+Rislone HM. The LG is very thin, that somewhat makes the engine noisier when it is first added, but after 600 km, the engine seems has much less engine braking effect and very quiet especially after it is fully warmed up.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Schaeffer's #132 would be a good HM additive. Once highly regarded on Bitog, and a good product.

I had used Schaeffers 132 in my older classic cars for years but never considered it a true HM additive... Supposedly it had some moly in it and that's why many of my friends and myself started to use it. From what I remember we found out it really did have much moly and did not do more then thicken the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

I had used Schaeffers 132 in my older classic cars for years but never considered it a true HM additive... Supposedly it had some moly in it and that's why many of my friends and myself started to use it. From what I remember we found out it really did have much moly and did not do more then thicken the oil.

The name is misleading. It doesn't have much [if any] moly, its claim to fame here was the antimony.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

The name is misleading. It doesn't have much [if any] moly, its claim to fame here was the antimony.

Very true...

If your looking for the Lucas type high mileage additive STOP. It is completely junk unless your front door hinge is squeeking. Try a combo of Liquimoly Motor OIL Saver and Liquimoly MOS2 instead.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Interesting since I have just started my trial with LG Biotech with cheap thin 5w40 oil, I will confirm again after 1000 km, but so far after 600 km it seems the combo reduce the oil consumption compared with PU 5w40+Rislone High Mileage or M1 HM10w40+Rislone HM. The LG is very thin, that somewhat makes the engine noisier when it is first added, but after 600 km, the engine seems has much less engine braking effect and very quiet especially after it is fully warmed up.

Just to report after 1500km with lubegard bio protectant and 700 km high speed driving, the fuel consumption improvement still there but the noise reduction and less engine braking effect no longer there. It is a bit disappointed with the oil consumption even though the engine perform and sounds better initially. So next trial is suprotec active plus, hope the effect last longer than other non-solid additive like rislone and lubrigard

If you mean there is MORE engine braking, that usually means your compression has increased; possibly the LubeGard Bio cleaned the rings so they seal better.

As to your engine noise, unless you find the source I don't think any additive will perform any magic.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If you mean there is MORE engine braking, that usually means your compression has increased; possibly the LubeGard Bio cleaned the rings so they seal better.

As to your engine noise, unless you find the source I don't think any additive will perform any magic.

Actually, what happened after initial 500 km, the engine braking is much lesser (that make the car glide further without any gas pedal depressed) and it kinds of surge when you start accelerate from coasting (that I believe the sign of better compression). However after few hours high speed driving, now it seems back like normal oil without any additive (more engine brake, does not glide much), and torque is getting lesser.
So I think it is true that Lubegard clean the ring and seal better initially, but after 1500 km it seems the effect disappear. Somehow that observation also similar with the use of Rislone High Mileage, the first 2000km is very positive, and then after that the engine consumption worsen again.
I just try to keep the car alive for another 1-2 year without overhaul, so far besides the oil consumption and some noises after the carbon deposit accumulate, the power and fuel consumption is quite satisfactory.

The noise i believe comes from the wear on the top of the cylinder, where the lubrication and carbon deposit balance play apart on the noise generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back